Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anyone been to Paraguay?, Anyone been to Paraguay?
lucky
post Aug 29 2004, 08:50 PM
Post #1

HitchHiker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Hello,

I would like to plan a trip to Paraguay but know little about the country. the primary reason would be to visit my sponsored child but I'd like to visit the country a bit first.

Can someone give me a little insight into the country? Is there anything to see/do there?

Thanks!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
danstravelworld
post Jul 8 2009, 03:58 PM
Post #2

Voyager

Group: Members
Member No.: 104714
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Yeah absolutely - Paraguay is great. Very easy to move around the country, as I experienced and a cracking place.

Capital has it's fair share of sights but ask before pics of the pink palace (Governor's Palace)! The guards got a bit pissed when we took photos.

Take in a footy (soccer) match whilst there if you can. See some amateur dramatics ;-) I was there the night they qualified for the World Cup Finals and it was awesome. One huge street party.

Ciudad del Este is a bit rough and ready but a bizarre experience nonetheless - visit Itaipu Dam for a feat of engineering whilst in town. It's also a cheaper border crossing for visiting the Falls at Iguassu. Make sure you check in and out of immigration office just before the bridge though. We took local advice, didn't and got fined on the way back.

Encarnacion has some Jesuit Ruins which are pretty cool down on the border with Argentina.

And don't eat the armadillo!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
danstravelworld
post Jul 8 2009, 03:59 PM
Post #3

Voyager

Member No.: 104714

PS the people love the tourists immensely! They're thin on the ground there...have a beer in the Bull in Ascuncion
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
daz1690
post Sep 15 2009, 08:57 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 350641

daz1690

i went last year travelled through the chaco, and got stuck in the weirdest town, Filideiphia in the middle of the dessert, where peoples first language was german, and the hotels and food was great, it is inhabited by menonites, originaly from europe in the early 1900s and the whole town looks like something built in western europe, amazing place. daz
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 02:46 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Paraguay

Altos Hotels
Areguá Hotels
Asuncion Hotels
Bella Vista Hotels
Ciudad Del Este Hotels
Concepcion Hotels
Encarnacion Hotels
Filadelfia Hotels
Hohenau Hotels
Itapúa Hotels
Lambare Hotels
Mariano Roque Alonso Hotels
Misiones Hotels
Nueva Colombia Hotels
Paraguari Hotels
Piribebuy Hotels
San Bernardino Hotels
Santa María de Fe Hotels
Santa Rita Hotels
Santa Rosa Hotels
Santa Teresa Hotels
Trinidad Hotels
Villa Elisa Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.