Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hot peppers and the evil eye
ahamill
post Oct 11 2008, 07:15 AM
Post #1

Wayfarer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 67301

Always interesting (to me) are the cultural intersections of ancient tradition and modern religion. You never have to look far to find an intersection and then you are always rewarded with opportunities to open up fascinating discussions with your new friends.
For example: in Uzbekistan, even in Tashkent the Capital, one can see small bundles of tan-colored, dried herb, tied together and hung from the roof/sofit/ceiling area outside front doors of buildings. Even government buildings filled with scientists and politicians and what-have-you! These little bundles are hung to ward off "the evil eye" and other curse-like efforts of ill-wishers.

As far as I can determine, this has nothing to do with Islam; I haven't heard of any specific area in the scriptural writings that define that this particular plant should be gathered (when it's gone to seed, by the way - the bundles are always adorned with big tri-lobed seed pods filled with little brown seeds), and I may be wrong about that but I will clarify soon with some buddies here.

Also, I haven't identified the herb yet, but I will; I'm determined. It is an entrenched tradition - this herb is harvested at the same time of its life cycle, gathered into similarly-sized bundles, hung above the entryway of a building - I've seen it now in towns all over Uzbekistan, so I know it's not just a regional thing.

As for hot peppers, our proximity to China is named as the reason why spicy hot pepper taste has seeped into some of the foods of this part of Uzbekistan. It's not in everything, but they are there - and people like them! There is a delicious oil-based mixture, sort of like an Indian pickle (if you don't know, 'pickle' in India is a mixture of various things usually with a principle taste to each kind - there's a lime pickle, for example - but they are just ground-together mixtures, with oil, of various spices and seeds and herbs and so forth) - anyway, this Uzbek 'pickle' is chock full of peppers, but they're not exactly HOT - they're hot, but it's a strange hot. It's got all the amazing taste of peppers, chili peppers, SUPER HOT ones like the famous jabanero, but somehow they don't send you running for the water faucet. It's a great skill, I think, that successfully balances the taste of the peppers and the kick of the peppers. This is another interesting intersection of cultures, this time Chinese and Uzbek - because I am assured that traditional Uzbek meals are not spicy hot.

That's all for now! Love from Tashkent...

--------------------
Sleepless in Tashkent
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
barsie
post Oct 11 2008, 07:22 AM
Post #2

Globetrotter

Group: Members
Member No.: 195337
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Very interesting points.

--------------------
Would be life traveler.

Visit BackPackingShop
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
araneus
post Dec 5 2009, 06:58 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 559661

That dried herb that is hung in bundles everywhere is called harmal in English.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
polydemic
post Dec 5 2009, 11:22 PM
Post #4

Tourist

Member No.: 212482

Same thing in Greece. There are images of eyes all over the place to ward off the evil eye. Altho the Bible forbids the use of magic & images, the priests say nothing about these.

--------------------
All the earth is my home and each nation a different room in the same house.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 01:30 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.