Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Weekends in UK
hannah0
post Sep 30 2008, 12:32 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23841

Ok this is a bit of a long shot but anyway, having just started a new job extended travel overseas is off the agenda for a while so i was considering just doing short UK weekend breaks occasionally. I live in the South East England and so they'd be based near enough to just do a weekend. So anyway, if anyone's interested in doing something similar or if anyone can recommend anything in the way of places to go, hostels, bars, clubs, attractions etc then let me know.

Thanks

Hannah x
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mollster
post Oct 15 2008, 12:58 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 251178

As both Manchester and Liverpool are only 2h 30 away from London on Virgin trains (and not too expensive if booked early enough), I'd definitely suggest either or both. (If you are north of London, then it's only 1h 50 from Milton Keynes).

As a Scouser who moved to Manchester and recently went back to the 'pool for the first time in two years, I was blown away by the changes made since the European Capital of Culture award. The place is so vibrant and alive, has a thriving nightlife - for all scenes! Additionally, this city has more Grade 1 listed buildings than any other outside of London and there are so many parks and places to visit it is untrue.

Again, as a Scouser it pains me to praise Manchester but this city has really grown up. Shopping is superb, as is the nightlife and the tram system makes it easy to get about. I haven't lived here long enough to fully appreciate all it has to offer, but I do plan on finding out more!

If you do decide to head up north then feel free to ask any questions!

Cheers
Sam
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
hannah0
post Oct 15 2008, 01:11 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 23841

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
barsie
post Oct 15 2008, 03:20 PM
Post #4

Globetrotter

Member No.: 195337

I live in the historic city of Chester- well worth a visit. Would be happy to give you a tour around, and i'm a bit of an expert as far as the bars scene goes.

--------------------
Would be life traveler.

Visit BackPackingShop
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
tiendn5
post Oct 22 2008, 03:10 AM
Post #5

Drifter

Member No.: 252696

Discover London: Search the best hotel deal with website
http://www.prontohotel.com/gbr/london
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rozy47
post Aug 6 2009, 01:49 AM
Post #6

Wanderer

Member No.: 291724

Hello.

Great. My self Rozy Miller. I am from U.K. Ya, Its very nice. London is very easy to get around using its comprehensive public transport system.

The London Underground is the mainstay for most visitors and there is always an underground station near where you want to go. The famous double decker London red buses are legendary.

We are the company providing coach hire for you from social events to any of your family trip almost in all over UK. We can offer comfortable and luxurious coach hire at a competitive rate that can afford easily. its Coach Hire in London and Europe.

Thanks.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Oct 7 2009, 02:45 PM
Post #7

Jet Setter

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 60100

QUOTE(insureplc @ Oct 7 2009, 03:00 PM) *

Ive not been but Edinburgh is supposed to be a great city to visit too!

FYI, Edinburgh is brilliant! It was recently voted the most desirable city to live in the UK... lucky I now live 15 mins away! smile.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Oct 8 2009, 12:07 PM
Post #8

Jet Setter

Heh, I'm probably the wrong person to ask, I literally just moved here. I know the Balmoral on Princes St is a great hotel, but its pretty pricey!

Are you planning on coming up to Scotland sometime soon then?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Oct 9 2009, 11:09 AM
Post #9

Jet Setter

Hah well, I've only been up here three weeks so the weather hasn't troubled me much yet! I went to Edinburgh for the first time properly last weekend and it did blow me away, it was just beautiful.

Let me know if you do come up - I will know more about it by then biggrin.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
dazy
post Nov 13 2009, 04:07 AM
Post #10

Wanderer

Member No.: 297374

Hello

Great job.... Thanks for sharing this informative information. I have got lot of information from this post.

Thanks
Have a nice time a head.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travelfreaks
post Jan 1 2010, 12:30 PM
Post #11

Voyager

Member No.: 609411

P&O shortbreak could be good. From Hull to Rotterdam including spending money cost a grand total of 200 for both of us....2 nights on the ferry and 1 day in Rotterdam.

--------------------
World Tour 2010- Why pay... when you can volunteer??
IPB Image
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
janetu
post Jan 2 2010, 11:24 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 228433

QUOTE(hannah0 @ Sep 30 2008, 12:32 PM) *

Ok this is a bit of a long shot but anyway, having just started a new job extended travel overseas is off the agenda for a while so i was considering just doing short UK weekend breaks occasionally. I live in the South East England and so they'd be based near enough to just do a weekend. So anyway, if anyone's interested in doing something similar or if anyone can recommend anything in the way of places to go, hostels, bars, clubs, attractions etc then let me know.

Thanks

Hannah x

Edinburgh is great and an ideal City for a short break. It's beautiful, small enough to get around easily and has good travel links. You can do the tourist trail - lots of history, climb the hills, enjoy the views, get some great food. There's a wide variety of accommodation ranging form 5* hotels to basic back packer hostels. Try <a href="http://www.edinburgh-flats.com">Edinburgh Self Catering</a> where you can go budget or luxury.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mynameiskrit
post Jan 9 2010, 11:31 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 278023

I'm in London and going to have a one week break next week. if anyone fancy hanging out in London such as pub, bar, club, outdoor activities, let me know. i'm in.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 05:33 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.