Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Where to start?? Florida? New Mexico?, This is just the beginning of a RTW
mynetdude
post Sep 30 2008, 04:22 PM
Post #21

Voyager

Group: Members
Member No.: 245111

I think I may give the campervan/RV type idea a try... I'm really not interested in driving during the winter where weather conditions are more fierce though... we're talking about snow, rain, ice etc...

I really ought to find out what the climate is like where I'm going... thats one thing I've ignored lol... ouch... I'm gonna get on it now.

If I could buy the RV/van I need, have a special automotive hauling company haul it to my starting point and I fly ahead of it/meet up with it then that could be a good way to get started I think rather than trying to drive in the middle of the winter from the west coast... OTOH I'll just drive it all the way there... ech I don't know. I suppose I could hit I-5 get down to LA then head east so I can stay out of the worst of the weather.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Oct 1 2008, 09:18 AM
Post #22

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Hmmm... I know you're worried about climate a lot and it seems to be dictating your travel choices. I'm finding it kind of frustrating!

One thing to remember about weather is that it changes a lot. No matter how much research you do on climate etc. etc. you could still find yourself in a snowstorm in the middle of October in Florida... or a hurricane in BC... or what have you wherever.... the possibilities are endless, and weather is just part of the fun.

I mean, if I let my fear of a rainstorm stop me from going out on my motorbike literally, every weekend this summer, I wouldn't have been anywhere at all.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Oct 1 2008, 10:49 AM
Post #23

Tripper

Member No.: 2195

Snow in Florida? Hurricanes in BC? I don't think so! I drove right across the USA in the dead of winter some years ago. It's not as bad as it sounds if you keep to the major roads and interstates, which are usually kept pretty clear. Even better if you take the southern route through Arizona and New Mexico. We purchased a car in Miami and sold it when we got to California. Look on E-Bay http://motors.shop.ebay.com/items/Other-Ve...amp;_fpos=32501 or Craigs List http://pensacola.craigslist.org/rvs/ for available vehicles at the place you plan to start your trip, which looks like Pensacola.

A campervan is the way to go. An RV is much too ponderous and expensive to run.

weather.com gives you long range forcasts and averages for just about every place in North America. Here are the averages for Pensacola.
http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/busi...tomnav_business

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Oct 1 2008, 11:20 AM
Post #24

Tripper

A bit more info for the gold mine:
http://www.visitpensacola.com/visitors/

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Oct 1 2008, 12:20 PM
Post #25

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

That's what I mean, Martin. Obviously getting snow in Florida or a hurricane in BC is a longshot.

But your story about driving in the winter just proves my point. Don't let climate (or anything for that matter) deter you from doing what you want to do.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mynetdude
post Oct 1 2008, 01:28 PM
Post #26

Voyager

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Oct 1 2008, 09:18 AM) *

Hmmm... I know you're worried about climate a lot and it seems to be dictating your travel choices. I'm finding it kind of frustrating!

One thing to remember about weather is that it changes a lot. No matter how much research you do on climate etc. etc. you could still find yourself in a snowstorm in the middle of October in Florida... or a hurricane in BC... or what have you wherever.... the possibilities are endless, and weather is just part of the fun.

I mean, if I let my fear of a rainstorm stop me from going out on my motorbike literally, every weekend this summer, I wouldn't have been anywhere at all.

True I agree, weather changes year to year but typically in the Northwest states it will generally rain all winter and I tend to drive less as it becomes more difficult to see. You are right though I can't dictate my travels based on weather really.

A rainstorm is less likely in the summer, sure the possibilities are there but you have to base it on what is more likely... we know that Florida is more likely to have hurricanes late July through September because it is more likely than in January even though the possibilities are there.

So I still somewhat consider weather a short factor, I don't think its a wise idea to just chance it at any given time of the year and ride out any particular weather hurricanes and tornadoes especially. But that isn't going to stop me from traveling when it is less likely.

I'm ok with the Florida weather, thats one particular reason to start out. I've lived in Oregon for 15 years I've seen a fair share of snow and quite frankly the last few winters we've had I think I've seen too much snow and if I'm driving an RV I particularly want to stay away from snowy conditions I can handle rain here and there and don't wholly mind rain. I just want to avoid places where its going to rain more than 50-75% of the time (Seattle, Vancouver, BC) during the winter.

Again I'm fully aware weather is unpredictable, who knows next summer Vancouver, BC could end up seeing rain for most of the summer but it is generally unlikely (whoever said God doesn't mind breaking world records? Cuz it seems like he does some strange stuff! tongue.gif).
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mynetdude
post Oct 1 2008, 01:37 PM
Post #27

Voyager

QUOTE(mmbcross @ Oct 1 2008, 10:49 AM) *

Snow in Florida? Hurricanes in BC? I don't think so! I drove right across the USA in the dead of winter some years ago. It's not as bad as it sounds if you keep to the major roads and interstates, which are usually kept pretty clear. Even better if you take the southern route through Arizona and New Mexico. We purchased a car in Miami and sold it when we got to California. Look on E-Bay http://motors.shop.ebay.com/items/Other-Ve...amp;_fpos=32501 or Craigs List http://pensacola.craigslist.org/rvs/ for available vehicles at the place you plan to start your trip, which looks like Pensacola.

A campervan is the way to go. An RV is much too ponderous and expensive to run.

weather.com gives you long range forcasts and averages for just about every place in North America. Here are the averages for Pensacola.
http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/busi...tomnav_business

Ah I'm not talking about a full size RV, I'll have to get a link of what I'm thinking of. My uncle has an RV/Campervan that looks like a full size van with an extended top on the roof so you can stand up. I want something just a tad bit newer.

My car is going to be sold here in Oregon, just to make things easier and less hassle with the paperwork and to be honest... it makes sense getting a campervan/RV here than down there because if I have my car I can't really sleep in it easily if I take my dog with me if I choose to go that route.

Alas, I was thinking the same thing taking I-5 to LA then going easterly towards texas where the weather is generally drier (and I DO expect to see rain, etc).

I'll think about it, I'm going to visit my mom today to discuss this option I'm just not sure I really want to take the campervan option.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mynetdude
post Oct 1 2008, 07:18 PM
Post #28

Voyager

Today I've decided

Florida and I'm not driving I'll be flying from my home airport and anyway I love to fly and I like looking out the window on a train/bus so I'm happier with this.

I haven't booked my airfare but I plan to at the end of October hopefully. I'll leave home at 4:30am to meet a 6am flight that will put me down in Pensacola at 9:30 at night (the other option was a redeye and a long layover and I wasn't really interested as I'd lose the whole day to sleeping (remember I dislike sleeping on airplanes)).

I'm also going to have to call the hotel in November to see if I can get a courtesy late checkout as checkout is 11am and with jet lag I'll probably sleep past C/O before I know it the first day. Well actually I'll have to book the hotel for the week as I have no idea if I will have a couch by then but I also don't want to wait until December as rates can change for worse.

I just want to say thanks all smile.gif I'm gonna start my pre-trip blog, the only thing I'm debating on is whether to have a TP blog or my own, I kinda want my own as everybody knows me by "thenetdude" and I can use geotags for my photos but its just not the same and I like the TP map that goes with the blog; so for now I am going to do the pre-trip stuff here on TP then transition to my own blog.

I will be severed from internet at the end of October, I will be living at my mom's house for the holidays and I won't see her again most likely not until July (but I'm thinking about dragging her over to the east coast for her bday!) In July though I am going home for 2-3 weeks (its all I can handle lol) for my twin sisters' birthday and possibly camping with the family in Lake Shasta on houseboats (yes I'll blog all that too, and speaking of blogging I got a new digi cam)

I decided I don't want to take the DSLR camera either (I have like 4-5 lenses, the body, tripod, filters, camera bags, etc) and I am going to sell it all in hopes to get $1,000 for it so I can buy me a portable printer (if that will even work without spilling the ink).
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Oct 1 2008, 10:08 PM
Post #29

Tripper

You only have to write one blog. Create your own "thenetdude" blog and then cut and paste and make a TP blog too.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mynetdude
post Oct 1 2008, 10:27 PM
Post #30

Voyager

QUOTE(mmbcross @ Oct 1 2008, 10:08 PM) *

You only have to write one blog. Create your own "thenetdude" blog and then cut and paste and make a TP blog too.

Thought about that too, but I'm not sure its so simple as copy/paste as the images would not show correctly on the TP blog. I did notice there is a feature within TP to externally link to other blogs that you have. And I'm not all exactly sure I want to have the double life of maintaining more than one blog (remember I like to keep things simple to some degree).

We'll see... if copy/paste works out to do well I may do that too.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 04:54 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in USA

Albuquerque Hotels
Anaheim Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Boston Hotels
Branson Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Columbus Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Fort Lauderdale Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Jacksonville Hotels
Kansas City Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Memphis Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Philadelphia Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Portland Hotels
Saint Louis Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Scottsdale Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Tucson Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.