Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

> Where to start?? Florida? New Mexico?, This is just the beginning of a RTW
mynetdude
post Sep 27 2008, 11:42 AM
Post #1

Voyager

Group: Members
Member No.: 245111

I already live in Oregon, been to some states in the US haven't been to them all and so why not see all the states first?

I'm going to keep this extremely short unlike my uber legnthly introductory post (for any of those who saw it, probably only read the first paragraph and then quit! biggrin.gif).

I have travelled when I was younger, and would like to travel again but this time travel and see everything (although I'm not really into the arts, culture, festivals, cookouts, crowds, parades, etc all that much).

I have about $2,000-$2,500/month to spend and I'm having difficulty trying to figure out how people are actually able to spend $1,000 per month to travel along with that difficulty I'm having trouble figuring out how to get tour/hotel packages so I can get cheaper hotels. Ever since the idea stuck with me I've been getting less sleep but this is what I've figured out so far:

On the cheap side I figured a hotel will cost me anywhere from $40-$75/night plus tax (actually if you start going $65 upwards I'd say we're talking about not so cheap anymore) granted if I could find a decent hotel for $40/night I'm looking to spend roughly $1,100/month in lodging plus some change for tax so I based it on some averages about $50-$55/night plus tax I'll look closer to spending $1,300-$1,500/month in lodging on average for hotels and thats rediculously high! Hostels only let you stay 28 days max, but I'm not necessarily staying in one place every 3-5 days and extended stay hotels are just as costly as regular hotels.

Hostels will only let you stay 28 days, but I haven't found a hostel in the south/southeast sad.gif, I could also stay at an extended stay hotel although after some brisk research some brands are just as expensive as a regular hotel (though I did find extended stay rates in Panama City FL for $28.43/night plus tax which is considerably better than $38-$55).

To be honest I want to do things at my own pace, pick up tours when I want them as I need them rather than not get a full package even if I have to buy myself a self guided tour package to get cheaper hotel rates that is fine with me.

I thought about starting off in Florida, but I can start off anywhere really as I plan to do this all year long and Florida for the winter sounds warm enough for me smile.gif. I don't want to start off in Nevada because there are certain attractions I want to see but they only operate during the spring/summer and so I didn't want to backtrack (and that seems to be likely to happen no matter where I go).

If anybody has ideas/options that I haven't considered please throw them on the table, it will help me put it together smile.gif. Thanks in advance! smile.gif
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
mynetdude   Where to start?? Florida? New Mexico?   Sep 27 2008, 11:42 AM
jacquesl   Have you thought of checking couchsurfing?   Sep 27 2008, 12:23 PM
mynetdude   looked at the couchsurfing website, only two couch...   Sep 27 2008, 12:46 PM
mmbcross   http://www.hostelworld.com/ http://www.hostels.co...   Sep 28 2008, 10:16 AM
mynetdude   http://www.hostelworld.com/ http://www.hostels.c...   Sep 28 2008, 12:07 PM
starlagurl   How come you aren't just going to start from O...   Sep 29 2008, 10:10 AM
mynetdude   How come you aren't just going to start from ...   Sep 29 2008, 01:38 PM
starlagurl   When are you leaving? This year???   Sep 29 2008, 01:45 PM
mmbcross   Most airports have van shuttle services that will ...   Sep 29 2008, 03:24 PM
mynetdude   When are you leaving? This year??? January ...   Sep 29 2008, 10:49 PM
mynetdude   Ok here's the gist that I discussed with famil...   Sep 29 2008, 10:55 PM
starlagurl   If I was from North America, and a first time trav...   Sep 30 2008, 10:02 AM
mmbcross   Oh! I like the free and cheap beer. What more ...   Sep 30 2008, 10:06 AM
starlagurl   Drunkard is quite a harsh term, I prefer aficionad...   Sep 30 2008, 01:18 PM
mynetdude   Drunkard is quite a harsh term, I prefer aficiona...   Sep 30 2008, 03:21 PM
starlagurl   I know you're joking... Yes, I would be surpr...   Sep 30 2008, 03:31 PM
mynetdude   I know you're joking... Yes, I would be surp...   Sep 30 2008, 03:38 PM
starlagurl   You could try a GPS maybe, to help with the direct...   Sep 30 2008, 03:51 PM
mynetdude   I think I may give the campervan/RV type idea a tr...   Sep 30 2008, 04:22 PM
starlagurl   Hmmm... I know you're worried about climate a ...   Oct 1 2008, 09:18 AM
mynetdude   Hmmm... I know you're worried about climate a...   Oct 1 2008, 01:28 PM
mmbcross   Snow in Florida? Hurricanes in BC? I don't thi...   Oct 1 2008, 10:49 AM
mynetdude   Snow in Florida? Hurricanes in BC? I don't th...   Oct 1 2008, 01:37 PM
mmbcross   A bit more info for the gold mine: http://www.visi...   Oct 1 2008, 11:20 AM
starlagurl   That's what I mean, Martin. Obviously getting ...   Oct 1 2008, 12:20 PM
mynetdude   Today I've decided Florida and I'm not dr...   Oct 1 2008, 07:18 PM
mmbcross   You only have to write one blog. Create your own ...   Oct 1 2008, 10:08 PM
mynetdude   You only have to write one blog. Create your own ...   Oct 1 2008, 10:27 PM

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 10:13 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in USA

Albuquerque Hotels
Anaheim Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Boston Hotels
Branson Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Columbus Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Fort Lauderdale Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Jacksonville Hotels
Kansas City Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Memphis Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Philadelphia Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Portland Hotels
Saint Louis Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Scottsdale Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Tucson Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.