Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> slow boat ah!!!!
lauraandmark
post Sep 26 2008, 04:12 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 244878

We have to travel on the slow boatand we are worried about the cattle boat in case we dont get good seats and the accommodation in pakbeng. we have heard conflicting stories of nai of mekong can anyone give me any advice please on this? also does anyone know how we can book Pakbeng or Luang Sey lodge without being on the very expensive tour? anhy advice welcome

I am also going to book with laos airlines to fly from vientianne to hanoi - i was going to do it now rather than wait till i get over there do you think this is a good idea?

also what will the weather be in Mid-end november in Laos???
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Sep 26 2008, 09:07 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

I don't know much about boat travel in Laos but here's climate information from http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293949-...When.To.Go.html

Cool and Dry Season: November - February
Av tem Av rainfall
17 - 29 oC 26mm

From November through to early February temperatures are pleasant and rainfall is low

Throughout the year temperatures drop quite dramatically in mountain areas such as the Bolovens Plateau and Xieng Khuong Province - take adequate cold weather clothes when visiting these areas.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Sep 29 2008, 03:47 AM
Post #3

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 692

Weather will be great in November. I was there in November 2005 and it was scorching hot every day. Can't comment on the slow boat as I went overland from China rather than Thailand but I did take the flight from Vientiane to Hanoi.

I would wait until you get to Laos before booking the flight. The tickets are a lot more expensive outside the country. I visited one of the many travel agents in Luang Prabang and they arranged my Vietnam Visa and flight for about $150. The flight was $109.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lauraandmark
post Sep 29 2008, 03:58 AM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 244878

Thanks so much for your help with this. At the moment they are about 80 each we were just worried as it was high season getting there and they are fully booked as only a few flights a day ... we were thinking for peace of mind just to book it. We also need to get our visas there as well so we will do that in Luang Prabang as well.

Thanks
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Sep 29 2008, 06:19 AM
Post #5

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 692

Just to let you know, there is a $10 departure tax that has to be paid at the airport as well. Wasn't warned about that in advance so keep a $10 note handy.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Oct 1 2008, 12:50 AM
Post #6

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 124

And that all depends on where you're from as to what you find 'chilly'. Generally, what locals find chilly is a warm summers day to me..

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th July 2014 - 08:12 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Laos

Ban Khiet Ngong Hotels
Ban Laongam Hotels
Ban Nahin Hotels
Ban Napeng Hotels
Ban Xieng Lom Hotels
Champasak Hotels
Champasak Hotels
Don Kho Hotels
Don Khone Hotels
Don Khong Hotels
Dondet Hotels
Hongsa Hotels
Houei Xai Hotels
Huay Xai Hotels
Lak Sao Hotels
Luang Namtha Hotels
Luang Prabang Hotels
Muang Khammouan Hotels
Muang Khong Hotels
Muang Khua Hotels
Muang La Hotels
Muang Ngoi Neua Hotels
Muang Pakxong Hotels
Muang Sing Hotels
Muang Xay Hotels
Nong Khiaw Hotels
Pak-Lay Hotels
Pakbeng Hotels
Paksan Hotels
Pakse Hotels
Phongsaly Hotels
Phonsavan Hotels
Savannakhet Hotels
Sayaboury Hotels
Thalat Hotels
Vang Vieng Hotels
Vientiane Hotels
Xam Neua Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.