Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which Uni to attend Monash,U Melbourne,ANU/info on the life there, Need help with choosing uni , life,people,location,scenery etc
johnminasia
post Sep 18 2008, 01:29 AM
Post #1

Drifter

Group: Members
Member No.: 230556
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi all,

I'm planning to attend Uni in Australia in March 2009. Ive been accepted to Monash University,University of Melbourne, and Australian National. I need some information that would help make a decision and is different then the wiki info. I would like some personal info. Life there, cost of living etc.

All help would be appreciated

Thankssss
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Sep 18 2008, 04:29 PM
Post #2

Jet Setter

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 60100

Well I have a friend at Monash who loves it! But other than that, I'm pretty clueless! I'm sure it will be awesome though - Melbourne is such a good place, whichever Uni you pick.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
cherryblossomga
post Dec 12 2008, 10:39 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 264634

I live in Melbourne and Melbourne Uni has the #1 reputation. It's a nice thing to have on your resume, and extremely high standards are expected. If you like to aim high, go here!

That said, since I live near Monash University (which is known to be our 2nd best), I also know many people who go / have been there. They all spoke very highly of it. It has a good reputation also.

I have not even heard of Australian National, so probably not your best option. Either Melbourne Uni or Monash are good selections - depends where you want to live. Monash = suburbia, Melbourne = city. What type of person are you? If you choose Monash, it's only half an hour to the city, so no biggie.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
cheli
post Dec 12 2008, 05:04 PM
Post #4

Pathfinder

Member No.: 48561

It really depends on which course you're going to be doing - Melbourne and Monash are both some of the most prestigious Universities in Australia, and quite likely the world depending on what your area of study is.

If you go for Melbourne Uni you're looking most likely at the city-based campus (there are a few other satellite locations but most students never see them) and a lot of history as it's the first Uni Victoria got. Keep in mind that affordable accomodation near the university is relatively difficult to get, although it's not too hard to live further out and commute in as the public transport there is pretty good. It's a good name dropper, you may well meet the future movers and shakers of Australia but I've heard some of their courses can be a little dry and short on practical knowledge.

If you go for Monash Uni you're most likely looking at the Clayton campus which is a half hour DRIVE from the city. Unless you live close to the campus and a train station you will find it hard to get around socially without a car. There are other campuses - Caulfield is a little better connected to public transport, Peninsula is practically car dependant. Monash still is a prestigious uni though, and in your industry may be better thought of than Melbourne Uni. And accommodation will be cheaper as its further out of the city. For the record - I went to Monash Uni (caulfield). The course I wanted to do wasn't offered at Melbourne, but my brother went there.

ANU I don't know much about - I've heard of some people going there, especially because they really liked the look of the course. So maybe if their course outline looks really good, you should consider them anyway. But certainly it's not as well known and I'm not sure of its reputation.

--------------------
Happiness isn't a destination; it's a means of travelling
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 05:35 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Australia

Adelaide Hotels
Airlie Beach Hotels
Albany Hotels
Albury Hotels
Alice Springs Hotels
Apollo Bay Hotels
Ballarat Hotels
Bendigo Hotels
Brisbane Hotels
Broadbeach Hotels
Broome Hotels
Byron Bay Hotels
Cairns Hotels
Caloundra Hotels
Canberra Hotels
Coffs Harbour Hotels
Coolangatta Hotels
Darwin Hotels
Hervey Bay Hotels
Hobart Hotels
Launceston Hotels
Mackay Hotels
Main Beach Hotels
Margaret River Hotels
Maroochydore Hotels
Melbourne Hotels
Mooloolaba Hotels
Newcastle Hotels
Noosa Hotels
Palm Cove Hotels
Perth Hotels
Pokolbin Hotels
Port Douglas Hotels
Port Macquarie Hotels
Rockhampton Hotels
St Kilda Hotels
Surfers Paradise Hotels
Sydney Hotels
Toowoomba Hotels
Townsville Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.