Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I have a question about arriving in Chile, costs to get into chile?
kevo3
post Sep 16 2008, 09:27 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 224058
Nominate me as a Local Expert

I am traveling to Chile in November and I live in America but I have an Irish Citizenship and an EU passport along with my american passport. I know that if you are an american you are charged 131$ as an entry fee when you land in the Santiago airport. My question is will they charge me if i just use my EU passport? I'll just use that passport and say i've been living in america for a few years going to school if they ask. Has anyone had any experience with this issue?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Sep 17 2008, 09:26 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

I haven't been to Chile but I got this from Wikitravel:

Citizens of four countries must pay a "reciprocity fee" of varying amounts. The fee is USD 131 for American citizens, USD 132 for Canadian citizens, USD 56 for Australian citizens, and USD 15 for Mexican citizens. This fee is equivalent to the amount that country requires for entry visas from Chilean citizens. The fee is only for tourists entering by plane, and the one-time charge is good for the life of your passport. US citizens should have crisp $20 bills or a credit card to pay the $131 fee. Citizens of other countries, such as the UK, do not have to pay a fee.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Sep 17 2008, 10:19 AM
Post #3

Tripper

Member No.: 2195

For goodness sake don't say anything! Just show your EU/Irish passport and don't say anything. Only if they ask (which they probably won't) tell them you are a resident in the United States (not a citizen).

I had the same situation going to Brazil. US citizens require a visa in reciprocity to visit Brazil, EU citizens do not, so I just show my British passport, and Bob's your uncle, Fanny's your aunt...no problem.

The advantages of dual citizenship! You can also visit Cuba through the Bahamas or Mexico, and no one will be the wiser.

By the way...make sure your EU passport is still valid!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kevo3
post Sep 17 2008, 11:47 AM
Post #4

Thats what I thought and was planning on doing.... just keeping my mouth shut and pretend to not understand any spanish and just show them that one. Thank you though for confirming that it is possible. My Eu passport is definitely still valid. Thanks again
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jeremystravels
post Dec 17 2008, 07:41 AM
Post #5

Commuter

Member No.: 217489

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Sep 17 2008, 09:26 AM) *

I haven't been to Chile but I got this from Wikitravel:

Citizens of four countries must pay a "reciprocity fee" of varying amounts. The fee is USD 131 for American citizens, USD 132 for Canadian citizens, USD 56 for Australian citizens, and USD 15 for Mexican citizens. This fee is equivalent to the amount that country requires for entry visas from Chilean citizens. The fee is only for tourists entering by plane, and the one-time charge is good for the life of your passport. US citizens should have crisp $20 bills or a credit card to pay the $131 fee. Citizens of other countries, such as the UK, do not have to pay a fee.

Only entering by plane? What if you do a land border crossing. I thought the reciprocity fee was assessed at all entry points that offer visa on arrival

--------------------
Local Expert for Ohio, USA
Next Countries: May 2010: Banff National Park - Canada
Planning RTW in 2010-2011 for Asia and South America - coverage here
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kevo3
post Dec 18 2008, 04:32 PM
Post #6

Yea, everything was fine. No questions asked at all. I just gave them the EU passport and they stamped it and I was on my way. It was kind of funny I saw both lines (immigration and reciprocity) and i asked a women where i had to go and she pointed to the line to pay the fee and I flashed my red EU passport and she turned and pointed to the other line. it felt great having that extra bit of cash!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Dec 19 2008, 08:36 AM
Post #7

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Hehehe! Good for you! It's a little sneaky, but still playing by the rules.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Dec 19 2008, 02:50 PM
Post #8

Tripper

Member No.: 2195

Thanks for updating us on your experience. Glad you were able to make it without paying the tax. Now we are eagerly awaiting your travel blog.
Enjoy beautiful Chile...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 02:17 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Chile

Algarrobo Hotels
Ancud Hotels
Antofagasta Hotels
Arica Hotels
Calama Hotels
Castro Hotels
Chillan Hotels
Concepcion Hotels
Concon Hotels
Copiapo Hotels
Coquimbo Hotels
Coyhaique Hotels
Frutillar Hotels
Hanga Roa Hotels
Iquique Hotels
La Serena Hotels
Las Condes Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Osorno Hotels
Pichilemu Hotels
Pisco Elqui Hotels
Pucon Hotels
Puerto Montt Hotels
Puerto Natales Hotels
Puerto Octay Hotels
Puerto Varas Hotels
Punta Arenas Hotels
Putre Hotels
Puyehue Hotels
Rancagua Hotels
San Pedro de Atacama Hotels
Santa Cruz Hotels
Santiago Hotels
Talca Hotels
Temuco Hotels
Torres del Paine Hotels
Valdivia Hotels
Valparaiso Hotels
Villarrica Hotels
Vina del Mar Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.