Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Amsterdam in September
kathryn77
post Sep 10 2008, 03:37 AM
Post #1

Vagabond

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 30044

Very excited!!

Unexpectedly going to Amsterdam this weekend, so just wondered if anyone could give me any tips on what not to miss. I'm going to be there for two whole days and hoping to do as much as poss!

I also haven't booked anywhere to stay yet, so if you have stayed somewhere cool and cheap, that would be great to know too!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Sep 10 2008, 09:46 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Coooool, I lovvvvvvvvve Amsterdam.

Go to the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh museum if you have time. The Rijksmuseum is HUGE, you could spend a whole week in there...

I've never made it to Anne Frank's house, but I've heard it's great.

Also, check out Haarlem.

For nightlife, don't miss the Melkweg...great place with lots of great bands playing there all the time. I stayed at a hotel just around the corner, but I can't remember what it was called. It was also pretty expensive, so I wouldn't recommend it to you.

You could stay outside of the city, I think it's much cheaper, and there are buses going in and out all the time for pretty cheap too.

If you've never been to Amsterdam before, obviously visit the red light district, but I've heard that they've reduced the size of it. It's cool to say you've been to a sex show, but not so cool when you're actually watching it. It's quite uncomfortable and yeah, boring, really...

If you have been before, yeah, you probably already know this, but I'd avoid the red light district altogether.

OH! And don't forget to eat mayonnaise on french fries, and herring with onions from the street vendors!

OH OH OH! If you have the money and inclination, it's AMAZING to take a canal boat tour (especially when there's unlimited beer/wine tasting, I remember how incredible the apple beer was, oh my goodness)

By the way, what are you going for?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Sep 12 2008, 12:18 PM
Post #3

Vagabond

Brill, thanks Louise!!
I'm going in the morning, v. early! I'm working near Amsterdam on Monday, so making the most of the opportunity by going for the weekend! party.gif

Thanks for all the tips - I've only been once before, and that was by accident! - I think I told you the story!? Anyway, least I had a couple of days notice this time!

I'm going to print your recommendations, they're fab, and I didn't get to see most of them last time (because I wasn't supposed to be going there!)

Cheers m'dear! AND, I can't wait to find out how the smoking ban is actually enforced in, of all places, Amsterdam?!!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Sep 12 2008, 12:26 PM
Post #4

Vagabond

God, I'm so stupid sometimes. Is it any wonder I ended up in Amsterdam by accident the last time, when I posted my query in the Northern Europe section, instead of Western Europe?!

I just wanted to confirm to anyone that was confused, that Amsterdam is still in Holland/Netherlands, and hasn't been relocated!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Sep 12 2008, 12:31 PM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

Don't worry, I didn't notice either, I moved it now. Good luck on Monday!

Oh and of course, it's fun to rent bikes. A little terrifying, but fun.

Oh and remember, the whole city is the shape of a big wheel and spokes, so if you think you're going straight, you're not...

Oh and space cakes! If you are so inclined to eat them, don't eat a whole piece, especially if you are of small stature.

In case you can't tell, I'm really excited for you.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Sep 12 2008, 12:43 PM
Post #6

Vagabond

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Sep 12 2008, 06:31 PM) *

Don't worry, I didn't notice either, I moved it now. Good luck on Monday!

Oh and of course, it's fun to rent bikes. A little terrifying, but fun.

Oh and remember, the whole city is the shape of a big wheel and spokes, so if you think you're going straight, you're not...

Oh and space cakes! If you are so inclined to eat them, don't eat a whole piece, especially if you are of small stature.

In case you can't tell, I'm really excited for you.

Thanks Louise - for moving me!

I think you perhaps haven't read my comment a moment ago about bikes in Thailand yet....if there is no sand and it's not petrol powered, I might consider it....

I'm excited too!! I'll blog it!!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Sep 12 2008, 12:47 PM
Post #7

Rolling Stone

I meant bicycle not motorbike!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Sep 12 2008, 12:58 PM
Post #8

Vagabond

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Sep 12 2008, 06:47 PM) *

I meant bicycle not motorbike!

I know, I was only messing! Although, now that you mention it, I did have a near death experience on a bicycle as well - and it wasn't even on Death Road!!

Here you go - you can read about how Haviana wedges saved my life with this link:

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entri...11400/tpod.html

I am away now,, chat to you soon! Places to go (Amsterdam hyper.gif ), people to meet and all that!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Sep 12 2008, 01:04 PM
Post #9

Rolling Stone

Ha, that is a good story. That happened to me in Montreal once. I found a bike that had no brakes, so I rode it around for the weekend. I actually still have it in my friend's garage, but he hasn't fixed it for me yet.

I rode it around enough and I got really good at stopping the bike by sort of stepping on the front fender and slowing it down that way.

Anyway, yeah Amsterdam... awesome. Biking, awesomer.

Biking IN Amsterdam awesome to the max.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Sep 12 2008, 03:44 PM
Post #10

Jet Setter

Member No.: 60100

Well you can't beat the sex museum... or the hash museum... or the torture museum (some quality exhibits!)

Or there is always the flower market if that tickles your fancy instead!

Definately recommend the Anne Frank museum... and you have to take a canal boat trip of course...

And ohhhhhhhhh, you've already gone haven't you?! Damn!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Sep 15 2008, 08:39 AM
Post #11

Rolling Stone

Yeah, I liked the flower market too, but it was sad because how do you bring that stuff home???

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
voyageurworld
post Sep 18 2008, 06:31 PM
Post #12

Group: Members
Member No.: 242012

Amsterdam a lovely city party.gif

if u smoke or not go to grasshooper angel1.gif

lovely architectur , lovely musuems , lovely and party people , great moments everytime in Amsterdam wub.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Sep 20 2008, 10:00 AM
Post #13

Vagabond

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Sep 10 2008, 03:46 PM) *

Also, check out Haarlem.

Hey Louise!

Thanks for the Haarlem tip! It was gorgeous there! Oh, and you missed out on not seeing Anne Frank's house - that was really, really good!

Also, I saw one of your other posts on that beer bike thing - I saw that!! They went past me while I was on a walking tour - was highly amusing!!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Sep 22 2008, 10:52 AM
Post #14

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(kathryn77 @ Sep 20 2008, 11:00 AM) *

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Sep 10 2008, 03:46 PM) *

Also, check out Haarlem.

Hey Louise!

Thanks for the Haarlem tip! It was gorgeous there! Oh, and you missed out on not seeing Anne Frank's house - that was really, really good!

Also, I saw one of your other posts on that beer bike thing - I saw that!! They went past me while I was on a walking tour - was highly amusing!!

Cool, glad you had a good time! What else did you do?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
charlotte850505
post Nov 6 2008, 04:31 AM
Post #15

Explorer

Group: Members
Member No.: 251580

Netherlands,Amsterdam and the May flowers
The first time I went to Amsterdam ,just for visit the largest tulip park –Keukenhop park.
It is also the first time I took the plane of KLM,most girl in the northern Europe are not very beautiful,even there was an old woman worked on the plane as a stewardess.The plane is so small and the noise of the engeering was very disturbing, but the food and drink they provided were very good.There are two small sandwiches ,one of them was a pure white bread with some meat or fish in it and another was prepared for vegetarians ,a whole wheat bread with some tomatoes or vegetables in,they all tasted good .The drink have a lot of choose and the stewardess asked every passengers for what they want to drink and whether want another one.
The airport is more large than what I thought ,I went off the plane after the plane landing,then I went to buy the train ticket to the city centre ,it is not far from the airport ,20 minutes later I arrived at the Amsterdam central train station ,it is the most important mark building of this city ,the whole station were built by red brick and supported by 8687 pillar ,it is amazing .
The next day my friends and I went to the Keukenhof park,but it is so regretted that the weather went hot early this year so the tulips were all blossomed early than the past ,so when we arrived ,there were only the rhizomes in the park.although we haven’t seen the tulips in full bloom ,but we found some scent lily and orchid by accident,I had never saw so many scent lily with so many colors ,which you can think of and which you can’t ,deep red , fleet red and pink ,some with a rolled edge and some with a slip edge,I saw these precious flowers with greed and surprises,every one of them was beautiful ,and there were thousand flowers in front of us,we can say nothing because of amazing sightseeing.
We went to the windmill village in the third day,I wanted it for a long time,we get off the train at the station named “Koog-Zaandijk” ,after 15 minutes walk ,we saw many windmills in the village ,very magnificent and amazing.
Netherland is different from the other three countries of northern Europe ,and Amsterdam is beautiful but with some caprice ,like a beautiful bad girl . travel to Netherland , and you will feel the beauty of it .
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2014 - 03:31 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.