Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hawaii vs. the Caribbean, why Hawaii wins
starlagurl
post Sep 8 2008, 02:33 PM
Post #1

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

This blogger thinks that Hawaii is better than the Caribbean. I've never been to Hawaii, but the Caribbean is pretty awesome, so I'm not sure I agree.

1.. The Aloha Spirit

2. Volcanoes!

3. The Climate and Terrain Diversity

4. The Food

5. The Polynesian Culture

6. Hawaii feels safer.

7. The US Dollar

Find the reasons here:
http://www.govisithawaii.com/2008/07/29/ha...hy-hawaii-wins/

Which is better?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Sep 8 2008, 05:46 PM
Post #2

Tripper

Member No.: 2195

This is ridiculous. It's like asking which is better, an apple or an orange. They are both so different there is no comparison...or is there?

1. Whatever is the Aloha Spirit? I've been to Hawaii twice and haven't experienced it. At times it seems to be just another very expensive American state, albeit an extremely beautiful one. Maybe the Aloha Spirit was lost when the territory was annexed by the United States.
2. The Caribbean has active volcanoes (Montserrat come to mind).
3. The Caribbean has a similar climate and terrain diversity, though it can't claim snowfall that Mauna Kea can boast of.
4. To my mind the food in the Caribbean is far superior and diverse than Hawaii.
5. Obviously there is no Polynesian culture in the Caribbean, nor is there any Caribbean culture in Hawaii. Can't compare in this case. Hawaii has its Hula, the Caribbean has its Limbo, Calypso, Reggae, Soca, Merenque, Salsa, Mambo, Cha Cha, Timba, etc.....
6. This may well be true in the case of the larger islands such as Jamaica and Santo Domingo. Not so in the smaller islands, where you are a safe as anywhere in the world.
7. All the economies in the Caribbean are pegged to the US$, except the French dependencies.

I'll cede one thing though...the surfing in Hawaii just can't be compared to the wimpy waves in the Caribbean.

So I said the destinations cannot be compared, then went right ahead and compared them. White man speak with forked tongue!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Sep 9 2008, 08:33 AM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Haaaaahahahaha Martin, you're hilarious. Forked tongue....

So I guess you've been to both places... I agree with you it's hard to compare though, it's such a subjective thing.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kitkatgo
post Sep 9 2008, 01:02 PM
Post #4

Navigator

Member No.: 13816

Yeah, I think it just depends on what you want.

I've only been to Hawaii once and the Caribbean once (Puerto Rico), so not sure if that's enough to adequately compare them. However...

They're both tropical, they both get summer rain, both have crystal blue, warm water and palm trees, both are humid and hot, have lovely beaches, lots of culture and history, both are touristy, have good food, good sports, etc.

But they are different. I agree it's kind of like comparing apples to oranges. In the Caribbean, you have more of a European and African influence, while in Hawaii, there's more of an Asian influence. So the overall feel is different. I don't think I would ever say one is better than the other, not at this point any way.

--------------------
~Kit
California Local Expert

Visit my travel blogs:
http://www.travelpod.com/members/kitkatgo
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Sep 9 2008, 01:04 PM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

I would LIKE to be able to compare though. Anybody want to pay for my airfare to further this scientific goal?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kitkatgo
post Sep 9 2008, 01:07 PM
Post #6

Navigator

Member No.: 13816

LOL, yeah, me too.

How 'bout it peeps...Pay for me and Louise to go to the Caribbean and Hawaii for the sole purpose of making a comparison!!! wink.gif

p.s. I can't believe the guy in the article suggested Hawaii as a bargain destination. Who is he kidding?

--------------------
~Kit
California Local Expert

Visit my travel blogs:
http://www.travelpod.com/members/kitkatgo
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Sep 9 2008, 01:09 PM
Post #7

Rolling Stone

I didn't see that, but yeah, reeee-donkulous. I think the Caribbean beats Hawaii anyday on affordability.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bakasyonista
post Oct 6 2008, 08:59 AM
Post #8

Explorer

Group: Members
Member No.: 140128
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Been to the Bahamas and Aruba. I like the beaches there with it's powdery white sand and crystal clear water.

Been to the different islands in Hawaii.
Maui - Drive the Road to Hana where we saw lots of waterfalls, black sand beach and a red sand beach; long stretch beaches like Ka'anapali, Haleakala , which is considered dormant, (although not volcanic in origin but exists in volcanic mountain)

Big Island - Kilauea, an active volcano in Hilo
Green Sand Beach in Kona

Oahu - North Shore beaches famous for surfing
Climbing Diamobd Head - extinct volcano

Kauai - Beaches, hiking and Waimea Canyon

Hawaii is not only beaches and volcanos. There are lots of activities to do. You hike along the coastline you see pods of dolphins and whales (depending on the time of the year). We saw a monk seal in Kaena Point in Oahu, green sea turtles in Laniakea Beach. You don't need to go on a tour bus to experience these. And if you're an avid "Lost" fan you can visit its different film locations while you are there.

--------------------
"Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny." Frank Outlaw
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
pacomigue
post Oct 28 2010, 10:51 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 1431181

QUOTE(bakasyonista @ Oct 6 2008, 08:59 AM) *

Been to the Bahamas and Aruba. I like the beaches there with it's powdery white sand and crystal clear water.

Been to the different islands in Hawaii.
Maui - Drive the Road to Hana where we saw lots of waterfalls, black sand beach and a red sand beach; long stretch beaches like Ka'anapali, Haleakala , which is considered dormant, (although not volcanic in origin but exists in volcanic mountain)

Big Island - Kilauea, an active volcano in Hilo
Green Sand Beach in Kona

Oahu - North Shore beaches famous for surfing
Climbing Diamobd Head - extinct volcano

Kauai - Beaches, hiking and Waimea Canyon

Hawaii is not only beaches and volcanos. There are lots of activities to do. You hike along the coastline you see pods of dolphins and whales (depending on the time of the year). We saw a monk seal in Kaena Point in Oahu, green sea turtles in Laniakea Beach. You don't need to go on a tour bus to experience these. And if you're an avid "Lost" fan you can visit its different film locations while you are there.

Puerto Rico is a paradise island as diverse as Hawaii, just do your homework. In terms of flora, fauna, ecosystems, wonders of nature, culture (spanish, african, taino-native & american). We also have whales and the best phosphorescent bay in the world. Compare the price and then there will be nothing else to compare..never mind the best rums, coffee and pineapple...
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
227sof
post Jun 17 2011, 09:16 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 2042181

I am a retired military member who has traveled extensivley to both the caribian and hawaii--I have to say that hawaii wins in almost every catigory. I will say that they are so different that, yes it is hard to compare both. I found St thomas very nice but hilly (Rolling hills like NJ) no real mountins to speak of--in Hawaii there are some of the most beutiful moutains I have ever seen, with ( for example) Kauai"s Napali coast --It streaches amost 20 miles of beaches and cliffs that can only be reached by air or sea--the cliffs are thousands of feet high dropping strait down into the most beutiful blue ocean you have ever seen. ( many of you have seen it without knowing what it was : Jurasic park was filmed there). I could go on and on about what there is to do in Hawaii:( Mountain climbing, Surfing, Snow Skiing, Diving, Snorkling, Beutifull beaches, frendly poeple, fishing, para glide, para sail, sky diving, graet night life, Hawaian humpback whale watching, dolphin watching, rain forest hiking, FREASH WATER RIVER cayaking, ECT, ECT, ECT. I could go on all day, and some but not all of the things I metioned can be done in the caribiean. If you are a surfer--Forget about it The caribiean surf SUCKS!!!!!!!! it is beutiful and the beaches are white---however, thats all that the caribiean has over hawaii.
And not to metion that you are for the most part on forien soil ( places that could change governments overnight). Then the most impotant question--what time of the year do you want to travel? If you go to Hawaii in the winter months ( Dec-Mar) Hawaii has more rain, Although comming from PA and rains systems that will last weeks (cload cover) hawaiain rain is breif even in winter lasting no more than hours at most. Hawaiiain weather is best in the summer months. The caribiean is OPRESSIVLY HOT during the summer months with humity levels that match the east coast ( Sweating in the shade without moving--only you people from east coast will even know what i am talking about.) the humity levels in hawaii are much lower becuase of the constant Trade winds that carry it off of the Island. The temperatures in hawaii are about 5 Deg. higher in the summer, However tempertures rarley go above 87 Deg. As apposded to the caribiean where in the summer months it can get as high as 96 Deg with * 80% humitity. ( Holy S##t Hot). There is air conditioning but who wants to stay in there room all day, and night.
Then there is Hurican season, well that speaks for itself--the last major huricane to hit Hawaii was EVA in 1982. When was the last huricane to hit the caribian--what was the count last year didn't we go through the whole Alphabet last year. The Caribeian or Hawaii? Hawaii wins Hands down! (P.S) Please excuse my spelling as there is no spell check avialable and my spelling Sucks !!!!!)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
snoozee11
post Oct 19 2011, 01:54 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 2334553

Hawaii all the way! Beautiful Kauai ! It was so romantic and gorgeous! The beaches, the Mai Tai's, the sunsets! Can't wait to go back ! I found the best place to stay ... Found it on this site for Kauai Vacation Rentals, have a look for your self... Aloha !!! Kauai Vacation Rentals and Real Estate Inc. Facebook page
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
erinkate
post Mar 14 2012, 06:07 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 2718603

Well, it is hard to compare as they have their own draw, their own beauty and things to offer. HOWEVER, having been to both...I think I would pick Hawaii (Kauai to be specific). The beaches, the surf, the hiking, and yes, the Aloha spirit (I did experience that), the food, the overall beauty. And honestly, while some of the hotels aren't cheap, I recently found this company that has some killer deals on vacation rentals all around the island. You can stay in a beachfront home, with your own lanai for cheaper than a hotel! You should check it out (it's called Kauai Vacation Rentals). http://bit.ly/nQnSjN
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 09:52 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in USA

Albuquerque Hotels
Anaheim Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Boston Hotels
Branson Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Columbus Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Fort Lauderdale Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Jacksonville Hotels
Kansas City Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Memphis Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Philadelphia Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Portland Hotels
Saint Louis Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Scottsdale Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Tucson Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.