Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

> China - Must see places?
Incrediblelife
post Apr 12 2006, 10:14 PM
Post #1

Nomad

Group: Members
Member No.: 285
Nominate me as a Local Expert

We finally decided on where to go this summer - China! But, given we sort of pulled it out of the air, I don't really know much about the country and where to go, what to see. Any must see places that you'd recommend? Unfortunately, we only have 2.5 weeks for this trip, so it'll be quick. We're going mid June to July 5th and we're flying into Beijing and out of Shanghai. We're not much into cities or shopping, more historical stuff and nature, and of course the people! And it will be cool to see it all before it changes with the Olympics!

Any cool suggestions are welcome - places to go, things to do, hostels/hotels, restaurants... if you liked it, pass it along!

Thanks a bunch!!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 10)
Caro!
post Apr 13 2006, 09:33 AM
Post #2

World Traveler

Member No.: 550

Incrediblelife, I have a couple of good friends that live in Beijin and they can give you a hand once you get there. They are super nice people that can help you with the language or guide you where to go.
If you want their contact numbers, send me an email.
Caro!

--------------------
Check out my videos and pics!!

The pictures I will proudly show to my offspring

Whatever Lola wants...Lola gets!!!

Happiness is available to anybody, so please help yourself!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Barrett
post Apr 30 2006, 10:10 PM
Post #3

Nomad

Member No.: 423

Caro! What a generous offer! I hope we are able to see more of these types of invites coming to and from Travelpodders.
Very cool cause there is nothing like a local or a well plugged in expat to help you out and show you the best sights.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lraleigh
post May 1 2006, 07:33 AM
Post #4

Explorer

Member No.: 212

I hope you enjoy your travels in China. It's a fascinating place. Beijing is a sprawling place. I would recommend staying in the Hutongs, which is the older part of town and has the most character and life. Many of the monuments are being redone for the Olympics, so be prepared for scaffolding. I found it interesting watching their work, however. If you're more interested in culture and nature outside of big cities, I'd recommend going to Yunnan. I've been living here for about a year now. There are dozens of different ethnic groups and it's the most diverse place in China in terms of wildlife and ecosystems too--jungles in the south, 6700 meter mountains in the north. Reading other people's blogs on China has been a pleasure and may provide you good information. I always enjoy seeing what people say about Zhongdian (a.k.a Shangri-la) where I've been staying.

If you end up coming this way, I won't be around anymore, but feel free to contact me if you want some hints.

enjoy!

Lloyd
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post May 3 2006, 01:39 AM
Post #5

Planet Pioneer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 692

I found Zhongdian a little bit weird. All the old style houses mixed with loads of new buildings built in the old style. It seemed like a movie set rather than a town! They also seemed to have more bars than any other small town I visited in China. Flying into Zhongdian wasn't exactly the nicest experience I've ever had flying either lol! Still was a cool place to hang out for a day before Tiger Leaping Gorge.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lraleigh
post May 3 2006, 01:56 AM
Post #6

Explorer

Member No.: 212

Oops, last post was by me--didn't sign in...

cheers,

Lloyd
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post May 4 2006, 01:17 AM
Post #7

Planet Pioneer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 692

I doubt anyone would need a week in Xi'an. I was there 4 days and that was 2 days too long. Nice enough place though.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Barrett
post May 4 2006, 09:24 PM
Post #8

Nomad

Member No.: 423

Zhongdian is a wacky place, and not just cause its named after a fictional location from an English book. I would blog more but I'm short on time
so: http://www.travelpod.com/cgi-bin/guest.pl?...pod#ENTRY_START

Should give you some example of my time there. I flew into Tibet from there, which was great. Super easy to arrange.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 02:41 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in China

Beijing Hotels
Changchun Hotels
Changsha Hotels
Chengdu Hotels
Chongqing Hotels
Dalian Hotels
Dongguan Hotels
Foshan Hotels
Fuzhou Hotels
Guangzhou Hotels
Guilin Hotels
Haikou Hotels
Hangzhou Hotels
Harbin Hotels
Hefei Hotels
Hong Kong Hotels
Jinan Hotels
Kunming Hotels
Lanzhou Hotels
Lijiang Hotels
Nanchang Hotels
Nanjing Hotels
Nanning Hotels
Ningbo Hotels
Qingdao Hotels
Sanya Hotels
Shanghai Hotels
Shenyang Hotels
Shenzhen Hotels
Suzhou Hotels
Taiyuan Hotels
Tianjin Hotels
Urumqi Hotels
Wenzhou Hotels
Wuhan Hotels
Wuxi Hotels
Xi'an Hotels
Xiamen Hotels
Zhengzhou Hotels
Zhuhai Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.