Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

> China, Guangxi and Yunan provinces, FAQ for the Southeast of China
bob8888
post Sep 4 2008, 09:26 AM
Post #1

Wayfarer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 50553

Five years ago I made my first trip to China. Since then I have returned each year for 2 or 3 months. The first year I was here I came as a teacher of business English. It was going to be in the Province of Guangxi. Which is in the southeast of China. It borders Vietnam. The school in Guilin I was to teach at was over booked and I was sent to a small town called Yangshuo.
Yangshuo, a small town by the Li River, is well-known for its super natural landscape. With comfortable climate, ever green vegetation, abundant rivers and jade-like hills, it is reputed as the fairyland under heaven. Thus goes the famous saying: Guilin's Landscape tops those elsewhere, while Yangshuo's landscape tops that of Guilin. The best known scenic spots include the Green Lotus Peak, Yangshuo Park, Silver Cave, Old Banyan Tree and Moon Hill. Each scene differs from another with its characteristics. Even the same scene varies with the change of the seasons and in different temperatures within the same day.
Yangshuo is famous not only for its green hills and clear water, but also for its cultural atmosphere, which is symbolized by the West Street-a street of western flavor. The 600-meter long street is lined with small shops and restaurants, selling souvenirs, serving local dishes to the visitors. Many foreigners inhabit this street, hence its other name is Foreigner Street. Here the waiters in bars, restaurants, internet cafes and handcraft shops, ordinary residents and even the granny selling the fruits can speak English fluently.
The rest of the Province of Guangxi is also full of sites and surprises from it sandy beaches of Beihai to the rich banana field alone the Vietnam border to the terraced rice fields of Longji.
I have visited at least 7 other provinces of China but I keep coming back to Guangxi to discover more.
Airport: There is an international airport in Guilin. I generally take a flight from San Francisco with one stop in either Seoul, Korea or in Hong Kong. If you watch you internet carefully you should be able to get a flight for around $1000 round trip. From Guilin to Yangshuo, about a 2 hour drive, bus is about $2 or $3 dollars or you can hire a car and driver for about $25.
Hotels: In all my travels of China so far I have found that you get the most for your money in Yangshuo. A nice clean no star hotel, with TV, AC, internet, western toilets, are around $10 a night. If you want to go a little more local you can easily cut that price in half. If you are going to stay around for a month or more then you can get a room for about $40 or $50 a month.

Food: Guangxi and Yangshuo in particular are famous for there local foods. Once again go a little local and you get a breakfast of Guilin noodle (a bit spicy) for about 30 cents.

I hope this has wet your appetite and senses to find out more. The other province that I have traveled extensively in is Yunan. I would like to represent both of those if you need me.

User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
starlagurl
post Sep 4 2008, 09:31 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Thanks Bob, as long as you write up a quality starter kit for Yunan, you can also be the Local Expert for that province.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
bob8888   China, Guangxi and Yunan provinces   Sep 4 2008, 09:26 AM
charlotte850505   Thanks Bob, as long as you write up a quality sta...   Oct 31 2008, 03:59 AM
scottshangguan   Thanks Bob, as long as you write up a quality st...   Nov 7 2008, 03:04 AM
bob8888   Come again WHO said Guilin was in Yunan?????? May...   Nov 7 2008, 07:50 PM
bob8888   If you want to teach in china or come as a student...   Nov 13 2008, 12:01 AM
chinaguy   very good story :air_kiss:   Nov 18 2008, 04:08 AM
bob8888   I understand that they are recruiting in Yangshuo ...   Dec 15 2008, 01:15 PM
baofei0614   Thanks for your Detailed introduction of Yang Shuo...   Jan 20 2009, 10:13 AM
baofei0614   I'm sorry I made a mistake: not " there f...   Jan 20 2009, 10:20 AM
bob8888   Yangshuo is a great place. Now at the 49 Juice ba...   Sep 30 2009, 06:27 PM
miffyanddougle   Thanks for the link to the Cultural Centre, we pla...   Oct 30 2009, 09:13 PM
angel003   Hello Dong New Year is a traditional festival for ...   Nov 16 2009, 11:37 PM
jessibarem   Hello Bob, I read some of your answers . Before ...   Mar 3 2010, 08:46 PM
jessibarem   Thank you Bob. Could you recomend me some hotels...   Mar 4 2010, 01:07 AM
bob8888   Hello from yangshuo, Things have changed a little...   Apr 22 2010, 07:02 PM
fdakuae   Thanks for amazing information about Guilin.. I in...   Jul 5 2010, 05:54 PM
bob8888   Thanks for amazing information about Guilin.. I i...   Aug 10 2010, 07:55 AM
bob8888   Thanks for amazing information about Guilin.. I ...   Aug 10 2010, 07:59 AM

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 01:04 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in China

Beijing Hotels
Changchun Hotels
Changsha Hotels
Chengdu Hotels
Chongqing Hotels
Dalian Hotels
Dongguan Hotels
Foshan Hotels
Fuzhou Hotels
Guangzhou Hotels
Guilin Hotels
Haikou Hotels
Hangzhou Hotels
Harbin Hotels
Hefei Hotels
Hong Kong Hotels
Jinan Hotels
Kunming Hotels
Lanzhou Hotels
Lijiang Hotels
Nanchang Hotels
Nanjing Hotels
Nanning Hotels
Ningbo Hotels
Qingdao Hotels
Sanya Hotels
Shanghai Hotels
Shenyang Hotels
Shenzhen Hotels
Suzhou Hotels
Taiyuan Hotels
Tianjin Hotels
Urumqi Hotels
Wenzhou Hotels
Wuhan Hotels
Wuxi Hotels
Xi'an Hotels
Xiamen Hotels
Zhengzhou Hotels
Zhuhai Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.