Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

> Current protests and tourism
Paul
post Aug 30 2008, 07:59 AM
Post #1

Navigator

Group: Members
Member No.: 98
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi.

Some of you may be getting news of the protests in Thailand.

Please don't be too concerned. Firstly you need to realise that many foreign journalists in Thailand spend most of their time sitting in bars or less reputable places and they really haven't got a clue about Thailand and nor do they care. There job is to sell papers.

There are some protests in Thailand at the moment. It is organised by a group called the PAD and they want the current government to resign.

This is simply democracy in action in Thailand. It may not be the same as your country and it may not be perfect - but that is OK. I haven't seen too many other perfect democracies around the world either.

Basically the majority of you won't be affected by it or even see any evidence of any of this. So just go on with your holiday plans.

There will be some affected. For a short time the airports at Krabi and Hat Yai were closed due to protests. They are open now. The airport at Phuket was and is still closed, although this probably won't continue too much longer.

The trains are also striking at the moment (not running) but again this isn't likely to go on for too long. In the mean time you can get a bus.

So, don't freak out. The situation is not dangerous and really won't impact on you as a tourist much.

See ya
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Paul   Current protests and tourism   Aug 30 2008, 07:59 AM
curt1591   I really wouldn't present this as Thai democra...   Aug 30 2008, 08:14 AM
starlagurl   Hi guys, I just heard about the state of emergency...   Sep 2 2008, 09:32 AM
Paul   Ha ha - it doesn't relate to dinner parties. ...   Sep 2 2008, 09:37 AM
starlagurl   OK, good to know! I know the Couchsurfers hav...   Sep 2 2008, 09:57 AM
Paul   Surely they are not using this as an excuse to sto...   Sep 2 2008, 06:36 PM
starlagurl   I hope it's not an excuse for couchsurfers not...   Sep 3 2008, 10:21 AM
lunthom   Thanks all of you to understand the real situation...   Sep 4 2008, 02:17 AM
starlagurl   Glad to hear it, I hope you can come, Nantawan.   Sep 4 2008, 08:39 AM
starlagurl   Good good good, things are looking up. Frank, did...   Sep 8 2008, 11:55 AM
starlagurl   Oh you don't know!? If you are around Bang...   Sep 9 2008, 09:51 AM
starlagurl   Oh and I saw yesterday on the news that the ...   Sep 10 2008, 09:41 AM
curt1591   Oh and I saw yesterday on the news that the ...   Sep 10 2008, 07:21 PM
starlagurl   This post on Brave New Traveler helped me understa...   Sep 10 2008, 03:35 PM
lunthom   Tomorrow is the bad day again they will voted by t...   Sep 11 2008, 05:35 AM
starlagurl   Hehehe, I'm not afraid, and I hope no one else...   Sep 11 2008, 09:05 AM
lunthom   Sure, You will see me at TomYamkoong, if I 'm ...   Sep 11 2008, 08:33 PM
lunthom   today the meeting to vote new PM is failed and can...   Sep 12 2008, 03:59 AM
starlagurl   Sure, You will see me at TomYamkoong, if I 'm...   Sep 12 2008, 11:06 AM

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 06:20 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Thailand

Ayutthaya Hotels
Bangkok Hotels
Cha-am Hotels
Chaweng Hotels
Chiang Mai Hotels
Chiang Rai Hotels
Chon Buri Hotels
Hat Yai Hotels
Hua Hin Hotels
Kanchanaburi Hotels
Kathu Hotels
Khao Lak Hotels
Khon Kaen Hotels
Ko Lanta Hotels
Ko Phangan Hotels
Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
Ko Tao Hotels
Krabi Hotels
Lampang Hotels
Loei Hotels
Mae Hong Son Hotels
Nakorn Ratchasima Hotels
Nakorn Si Thammarat Hotels
Narathiwat Hotels
Nonthaburi Hotels
Pai Hotels
Patong Hotels
Pattaya Hotels
Phangnga Hotels
Phetchaburi Hotels
Phitsanulok Hotels
Rawai Hotels
Rayong Hotels
Songkhla Hotels
Sukhothai Hotels
Surat Thani Hotels
Tak Hotels
Trang Hotels
Trat Hotels
Udon Thani Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.