Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A month in Ghana
travelingdiva
post Aug 21 2008, 11:18 AM
Post #1

Explorer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 201752

I am going to be living in Ghana (near Takoradi) for a month in November and was just looking for any general tips those who have been there before me may have to offer. A couple things I can't seem to find answers to: how cool is it at night? Is it still quite hot or does it cool down a lot from the day? I want to pack the appropriate sleeping bag.

Also I am wondering if it is easy to get around on my weekends off? I would like to do some traveling around on my days off but I know West Africa in general takes its time getting from place to place so I may not be able to venture very far. Any favourite places you've been to in Ghana that you would suggest for me? Also, as a single female traveler is this a good idea? I get the impression Ghana is quite safe but firsthand experience goes a long way!

I have done a lot of research and it seems there is a lot to see and do but if you have a favourite spot/activity/experience in Ghana I would love to hear about it. Or perhaps the opposite, a visit you felt was a waste of time?

Anything tips or suggestions you have to offer would be much appreciated!

Thanks

--------------------

Local Travel Expert for Switzerland
Read about my life abroad
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Aug 25 2008, 02:58 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Hellooooooooo I've never been to Ghana but there are some interesting articles on Trip Advisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293796-...ana:Inside.html

As for sleeping bags, looks like it doesn't get too cool there. The lowest temperature this week is forecast as being 73F or 23C
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findwe...ery=Accra+Ghana

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Aug 25 2008, 05:05 PM
Post #3

Jet Setter

Member No.: 60100

Yo! I have been there and it was fab!

I would suggest a thin sleeping bag would be fine, its quite warm and humid all the time, but definately a mosquito net aswell - be really careful with the mosquitoes, they're everywhere.

In Accra I remember seeing only a few single white people around. I was there with a group so I always felt pretty safe, and even walking around on my own was fine. I wouldn't advise it at night though, mainly because nowhere is really well lit and its hard to find your way around.

If you're travelling around then buses are pretty slow between places... pretty much everything seems to go through Accra. I recommend a place called Kokrobite, which has a lovely little resort called Big Millies Backyard - its West of Accra and on the coast, the beaches are beautiful, awesome food and the culture is rife... I could have stayed there for ages. I never headed up there myself but apparently in the North of the country they do wildlife safaris and what not so that might be worth checking out. Wherever you go though be prepared to be stopped by police and "border control". Always carry your passport and documents because if you don't then they'll ask for money to get through... this happened to me in the middle of the country!

Generally the people are wonderfully friendly and welcoming and I had such a good time, I say go for it biggrin.gif

And also... its about 16000 cedis to the British pound, so you can become a millionaire over night, haha.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ugandasafaries
post Mar 20 2012, 04:50 AM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 2741803
Nominate me as a Local Expert

First of all I would like to say that you have chossen the best time to visit Ghana November to April. Ghana is hot and humid year round, but slightly less so during these months. The dry season also means less mosquitoes and some of the secondary roads will also be in better shape.

Good luck out there
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 03:21 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.