Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> travelling australia, advise and information on travelling through australia
neil85
post Aug 20 2008, 06:46 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 228545

hi everyone, i have recently been discussing with my mates about doing some traveling next year. however they are intending on only doing south Asia, whereas i am planning on going a lot further than that ( i want to get as far around the world as possible before i come back to the uk to work a S*$# 9-5 job).

there is a few things that i would like to know such as how expensive is it to travel australia? roughly how much money will i need? what sort of budget am i looking at for each day? what are the best places to go and and what times of the year? im looking to leave the uk in august and then travel though south asia til about january and then spend about 2-3 months in australia. ive also got a few mates that i am planning to meet up with how will sort me out with a sofa to crash on but am i looking at heavy prices for teains and buses.

also i would like to know about work - like is it hard to find in different areas. also if i decided to not get a working visa would it be possible to get some small job like fruit picking or something to so sort me out with a little bit of cash.

i have been looking into travelling from singapore to australia by boat but i have seen that it is not as easy as it used to be. does anyone have any information on this? weather it can be done and weather it is cheaper to than flying.

also if anyone has anymore advice and information that they wish to pass on i will be very grateful. i just want to make sure that traveling australia is possible to do before i book my flights

thanks neil
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Aug 21 2008, 08:06 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Hey Neil, I've never been to Australia myself but there are some very informative Aussies on this forum. Hopefully Cheli, ScottWoz or introducinlyric will come to your rescue soon!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Aug 21 2008, 08:18 AM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 124

Hey since when have I been an Aussie?! - though I'll be back soon to add my two cents (this connection's on its way out..)

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Aug 21 2008, 09:45 AM
Post #4

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 692

Depends on how much you like drinking/partying, standard of accommodation, preferred method of travel etc.

You can fly to Aus from Singapore/Kuala Lumpur for around 50 so no need for a 4 day cargo ship! Air Asia announced their new Melbourne route from KL yesterday for 70.

If you are interested in just seeing the East Coast then there is a lot of competition for bus passes. You could probably get a pass from Cairns to Melbourne for a couple of hundred dollars. I paid for 1 journey from Cairns to Airlie Beach and it came to $111! Bus passes are cheaper!

Even with fruit picking they ask for your tax file number and see the visa. You could probably get some work on the sly doing bar work/manual labour but for very low pay. Probably best to get the working holiday visa just in case.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
eddystar
post Aug 21 2008, 05:00 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 227606

Neil. how are ya?

I am thinking of doing exactly the same thing and have got my working visa granted today...10secs after applying for one. All online at www.immi.gov.au. Cost me 60. Do that then at least your legit. To be honest I dont have a clue about what i am going to do. I have planned melbourne to cairns in 3 months and set myself 3000 to do it in...(I want to spend under that!) trouble is gettin a job after that as I want to settle there hopefully if I like what I see. Question I want to ask is when are the best times..my idea is ASAP...just got a flight in FEB for 550 thought that was quite reasonable. I am now thinkin stoppin off in Taipei as my uncle is based there building the tube system...That means stop off hong kong and then get my ass over there about 2.5 hours away...I dont understand all those symbols (chinese writing) on signs. I reckon I will be f**cked so still thinking about it. Would apprieciate a visit to my site though.

http://web.me.com/edwardn02/Site/Welcome.html

Bye for now
nick
x
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
neil85
post Aug 24 2008, 11:22 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(rbisset @ Aug 21 2008, 09:45 AM) *

Depends on how much you like drinking/partying, standard of accommodation, preferred method of travel etc.

You can fly to Aus from Singapore/Kuala Lumpur for around 50 so no need for a 4 day cargo ship! Air Asia announced their new Melbourne route from KL yesterday for 70.

If you are interested in just seeing the East Coast then there is a lot of competition for bus passes. You could probably get a pass from Cairns to Melbourne for a couple of hundred dollars. I paid for 1 journey from Cairns to Airlie Beach and it came to $111! Bus passes are cheaper!

Even with fruit picking they ask for your tax file number and see the visa. You could probably get some work on the sly doing bar work/manual labour but for very low pay. Probably best to get the working holiday visa just in case.

do u recon it is best to arrange flights now or to book the flights once im there. it it cheaper either way. im stil debating whether to get one of the bus passes or to do the campervan thing - as i think it will be very fun, but i htink ineed to speak to more people who have actually done both.

thanks again for the advice
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
neil85
post Aug 24 2008, 11:25 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(boston_sydney @ Aug 22 2008, 04:31 PM) *

I have been to Perth - the city is beautiful. Quieter that Sydney, but in my opinion, has a very different flavor than the east coast of Australia. If you get the chance, try visiting there. I wish I knew of some contacts for you to connect with, but I do not. I was only in Perth for a week....

M

yeah i have spoke to a few people and they have all recommended perth. i think if i do decide to do sydney i wont stay there long cos its so expensive. ive got a few friends and family dotted around australia so im sure someone came hook me up to show me around.

cheers for the advice
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
introducinlyric
post Aug 25 2008, 12:54 AM
Post #8

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 56605

QUOTE(neil85 @ Aug 24 2008, 11:25 AM) *

yeah i have spoke to a few people and they have all recommended perth. i think if i do decide to do sydney i wont stay there long cos its so expensive. ive got a few friends and family dotted around australia so im sure someone came hook me up to show me around.

cheers for the advice

Yes Sydney is expensive...its getting quite ridiculous.

i havent read this thread properly will do at a later date...

--------------------
Do You Want The Truth or Something Beautiful?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
introducinlyric
post Aug 25 2008, 01:08 AM
Post #9

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 56605

QUOTE(neil85 @ Aug 20 2008, 06:46 PM) *

how expensive is it to travel australia? roughly how much money will i need? what sort of budget am i looking at for each day? what are the best places to go and and what times of the year? im looking to leave the uk in august and then travel though south asia til about january and then spend about 2-3 months in australia. ive also got a few mates that i am planning to meet up with how will sort me out with a sofa to crash on but am i looking at heavy prices for teains and buses.

How expensive is it to travel Australia?? this question is far too broad for me to give a response that would help you. how much of Australia are you planning on travelling/seeing??? as for how much you will need that depends on what it is you will be doing here, where you are staying , will you be working when you are here etc etc
prices for trains and buses on suburban networks within each state arent expensive so that shouldnt be a real concern for you

QUOTE(neil85 @ Aug 20 2008, 06:46 PM) *

also i would like to know about work - like is it hard to find in different areas. also if i decided to not get a working visa would it be possible to get some small job like fruit picking or something to so sort me out with a little bit of cash.

I have no idea about fruit picking but im sure there are places you can do that. as for finding work your best bet would be the hospitality sector as most other fields of work arent so keen on hiring people who arent going to be here for long.

unfortunately i dont have any info in regards to getting to Australia via boat from Singapore
my word of advice avoid Sydney for a lengthy stay as it is expensive and your money will disappear faster here than other parts of Oz

Have you considered Travelling round Australia via Campervan?? a fellow member here on Travelpod Sianeth did this when she was here and loved it, plus she got to see alot of Australia and i would assume it saved her alot of $$$

--------------------
Do You Want The Truth or Something Beautiful?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Aug 25 2008, 04:27 AM
Post #10

Jet Setter

Member No.: 60100

With the exchange rate the way it is at the moment I would say around 1000 a month is what you need - I spent a bit under that when I was there, but with it I did pretty everything I wanted, travelled from Cairns to Sydney, to Alice Springs, Adelaide and Melbourne, so it can be done!

I caught buses down the coast from Cairns to Sydney, and then hired a campervan from Sydney and drove all around. I wholeheartedly recommend the campervan approach! If you can find a good travelling buddy to come with you and share costs then its infinitely more interesting and exciting than the bus as you get to make your own choices and spend as long as you want in each place.

There's also alot of cheap flights knocking around, check out Virgin Blue. I would say its fine to book now - if you want the cheapest flights look for midweek ones - although the only issue is having no flexibility once you arrive.

Finally - don't stress about it!! Whatever decisions you make, it will undoubtedly work out in the end and you'll have an awesome time. Once you get over there the place is brimming with tourist agencies and hostels that will help sort out everything you want to, I don't think you need to worry about it overly now.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 02:34 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Australia

Adelaide Hotels
Airlie Beach Hotels
Albany Hotels
Albury Hotels
Alice Springs Hotels
Apollo Bay Hotels
Ballarat Hotels
Bendigo Hotels
Brisbane Hotels
Broadbeach Hotels
Broome Hotels
Byron Bay Hotels
Cairns Hotels
Caloundra Hotels
Canberra Hotels
Coffs Harbour Hotels
Coolangatta Hotels
Darwin Hotels
Hervey Bay Hotels
Hobart Hotels
Launceston Hotels
Mackay Hotels
Main Beach Hotels
Margaret River Hotels
Maroochydore Hotels
Melbourne Hotels
Mooloolaba Hotels
Newcastle Hotels
Noosa Hotels
Palm Cove Hotels
Perth Hotels
Pokolbin Hotels
Port Douglas Hotels
Port Macquarie Hotels
Rockhampton Hotels
St Kilda Hotels
Surfers Paradise Hotels
Sydney Hotels
Toowoomba Hotels
Townsville Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.