Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Brrrrrrrr.......
kathryn77
post Aug 22 2009, 09:50 AM
Post #1

Vagabond

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 30044

You'd never catch me doing this, but fair play to those that are!

Swimming from Kilcreggan to Greenock in the River Clyde, Scotland all in the name of charity

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
littlekate
post Aug 22 2009, 02:12 PM
Post #2

Nomad

Member No.: 225327

Do not worry, they will dress properly, and 2 miles is not a distance for a sportsman in water name - charity of some grand dame. Have I got it wrongly that you have jelly fish in the river?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Aug 22 2009, 06:17 PM
Post #3

Vagabond

Ha ha ha, I think he was joking wink.gif It's a local newspaper, so he was probably saying it for the craic (to be funny).

There aren't many people who'd get in the River Clyde though...I think, read "jellyfish", think "litter"! Hope they did ok! I'm sure they did smile.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
littlekate
post Aug 23 2009, 01:42 AM
Post #4

Nomad

hyper.gif He should not have frightened poor foreigners so much… having mercy on their imagination...
By the way, why the river Clyde is so unwelcoming? What is the problem with it? The distance they mention is 2 miles, is it the river width?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Aug 23 2009, 06:46 AM
Post #5

Vagabond

laugh.gif he probably didn't think his comment would be read any further than Glasgow!

The journey they swam was Kilcreggan to Greenock, and the 2 miles for that would mean the width plus some length. I'm sure it's not harmful to people at all, and it's just the rumour mill we get while growing up - But I'm not going in it to test that theory for you wink.gif Freezing - the local outdoor swimming pool is enough!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
littlekate
post Aug 23 2009, 06:58 AM
Post #6

Nomad

Rummor? Anything about a monster? Width plus some length - the river seems to be huge - what is the width actually?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Aug 23 2009, 07:32 AM
Post #7

Vagabond

No, we only keep the monsters in Loch Ness wink.gif

I meant rumours about how disgusting it is - it would be cold though. I believe there are strong undercurrents too - these guys swam it with canoes alongside in case they had any difficulties

I don't know how wide it is, but I am from Greenock and know that Kilcreggan is across the water and to the left a bit, so that's what I'm basing that on - but they'd swim diagonally I assume. You can stand on one side and see the other, so it doesn't look that far...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
littlekate
post Aug 23 2009, 11:48 AM
Post #8

Nomad

Volga is 1.5km wide and it's really huge. 2 miles is more than 1.5km, I mean it's a huge distance for the river width...
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Aug 23 2009, 01:35 PM
Post #9

Vagabond

I've never really thought about it....it was always 'just there' as I was growing up...but you've now made me think about it, and I've looked into it a bit more...

It's the 9th longest river in the UK and the 3rd longest in Scotland. It starts off narrow at its source, but begins to widen just southeast of Glasgow. By the time it gets to Greenock, it's near the end of the river, before it then merges into the "Firth of Clyde", so by that point it is a wider than average river.

I have attached a link so you can see a map. The best map to view is the one titled "Tributaries of the River Clyde" - 3rd picture from the top on the right hand side. In that, you can see Greenock on the left, near the middle of the photo. Kilcreggan isn't mapped on there, but to give you an idea, it'd be directly across and slightly left, so you can see that is quite wide at that point.

The photo above the map I've directed you to, shows the River at Port Glasgow which is the adjoining town right next to Greenock - this is the point where it really widens out.

Thanks for asking so many questions - I never knew all that until this afternoon!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 06:37 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.