Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Portugal road trip, Suggestions?
ScottWoz
post Dec 14 2006, 04:45 AM
Post #1

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 124

So I got up this morning, threw a few clothes into a bag and decided to go on another road trip. This time to Portugal. I don't know much about it to be honest but I do know I'll be hitting it on the South Coast around Faro then working my way up the west coast maybe. I have a few days. Anyone got any suggestions? Any must-do's?

Cheers guys..

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
whereshegoes
post Dec 14 2006, 02:45 PM
Post #2

Journeyer

Group: Members
Member No.: 5
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Haven't been to Portugul except for the islands so I have no major advice for you other than to HAVE FUN! Not like you should have a hard time doing that since it is one of your specialties tongue.gif

Look forward to reading about it beach.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
hdh
post Dec 14 2006, 04:12 PM
Post #3

Voyager

Member No.: 474

Can't speak to the South, we didn't get further down than Lisbon. But if you make it up as far as the middle, aside from the obvious big cities:

Visit Tomar, the castle there is cool (particularly if you're a Monty Python fan - it was the home of the Knights Templar, and....they have a shrubbery!) - its also a good base for the various other castles and abbies in the area if you have your own transport and like that kind of stuff

The Library at Coimbra is OTT enough to be worth a special trip, as is that at Mafra Palace (just north of Lisbon). Go to Mafra on a Saturday if you can - its one of the most popular places to get married in Portugal, and they have wedding groups stacked up in a holding pattern all over the place (though maybe less so in winter)

Sintra's also worth a short day-trip from Lisbon, though ridiculously touristy.

If you're interested in art, visit the Gulbenkian Foundation while in Lisbon - very good collection, of the "I like it, I'm rich, I'll buy it" variety, rather than the significant and worthy stuff you get in public art galleries.

And if you make it as far as the north, head inland into the hill villages - its a whole different Portugal, very medieval

Drink vinho verde and white port, eat suckling pig and custard-based pastries.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
whereshegoes
post Dec 14 2006, 05:09 PM
Post #4

Journeyer

Green wine?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
hdh
post Dec 14 2006, 09:42 PM
Post #5

Voyager

Member No.: 474

QUOTE(whereshegoes @ Dec 15 2006, 11:09 AM) *

Green wine?

Green as in young, I think. Unaged, slightly fizzy, white wine from the Douro (around Oporto) region. Very nice hot-weather drinking, cheap, and unique to Portugal. To add to the confusion you also get red "green wine", but that's nowhere near as nice (or popular).

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mizliz
post Dec 15 2006, 02:44 AM
Post #6

Explorer

Member No.: 8238

QUOTE(hdh @ Dec 14 2006, 09:42 PM) *

QUOTE(whereshegoes @ Dec 15 2006, 11:09 AM) *

Green wine?

Green as in young, I think. Unaged, slightly fizzy, white wine from the Douro (around Oporto) region. Very nice hot-weather drinking, cheap, and unique to Portugal. To add to the confusion you also get red "green wine", but that's nowhere near as nice (or popular).

Hi Scott,

Lisbon is absolutely beautiful! It's full of lovely old buildings and those crazy-paved sidewalks that make you dizzy to look at, lots of history and monuments there of the explorers setting out to discover the new world. Also, while in Portugal, be sure to go to a restaurant which has a fado singer. Their songs are rather dismal and sad, but their voices are spendid as they tell a story about unrequited love or some other sad event. Just remember they are only stories so don't let their music make you sad too.

You will notice the very distinct chimneys on the houses in Portugal, they are so different than anything I have ever seen and quite charming.

A trip up the west coast of Portugal should be very enjoyable and scenic.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Dec 19 2006, 09:32 AM
Post #7

Rolling Stone

Thanks for all the tips guys, it was good to read along the way. Didn't get as far up as Lisbon but had an amazing time nonetheless stopping off pretty much everywhere along the south coast and part way up the west coast. The scenery was magnificent, the people positively joyous and the food simply superb. It's been good to have a break from the tapas! Oh and the west coast was mindblowing..

Thanks again, the blog will be updated soon.. drinks.gif

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
whereshegoes
post Dec 19 2006, 09:55 AM
Post #8

Journeyer

Welcome back! Did you get into the green wine?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Dec 19 2006, 10:13 AM
Post #9

Rolling Stone

Didn't get into the green wine, though the port was very good. The local beer was sublime too as was the food. I had a famous local soup-based seafood dish called 'Cataplana', which was served in a little cauldron thingy with a hinged lid - utterly soup-erb.. yes.gif

--------------------
Woz..

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Dec 21 2006, 11:51 AM
Post #10

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 13336

Oh the cataplana!! It is a wonderful invention! The couple we are travelling with now have been to Portugal a few times and brought the lovely cooking device back for us! I have made some really delish seafood dishes with it! Yum! Glad to know you are enjoying yourself.

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Dec 22 2006, 02:41 PM
Post #11

Rolling Stone

Glad you like the device. Portugal was great. So good in fact I've just booked in for New Years. I'll be heading over there in a weeks time for more fantastic seafood, plenty of beers and a huge party on the beach with the locals. Happy days.. beach.gif

--------------------
Woz..

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Dec 23 2006, 02:16 PM
Post #12

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 13336

Ohhh! That sounds so fun! Nothing like a party with the locals is there? Not quite sure whatīs happening here, but to tell you the truth I havenīt given Christams too much thought besides the well wishes....... I guess I will find out soon! Have a blast Scott!

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
clintonb
post Jan 29 2007, 07:18 PM
Post #13

Voyager

Member No.: 857

I know you've been and come back already, but thought i'd post this anyhow just incase anyone else is thinking about doing the same thing...

I went to Lisbon, Lagos and Faro... Portugal i thought was a very characteristic place and so beautiful.

Lisbon, my thoughts on this are mixed, i had a good time there, and the buildings, life is very laid back and you can have a good time here, but can be a little dangerous if you dont have your wits about you... I wouldnt go walking the streets alone at night here. (this is from my own experience and quite a few others), however definatly a great place to visit, and make sure you head up to the castle as it provides a sensational view of the entire city landscape... More like a fortress actually :-P

Lagos, well this would be one of the top 3 places i went to in all of europe! Absolutely cute little town to visit :o) It has the look and feel of a greek island, with a portugese spin to it... From here you can take a sail boat and sail out to the Algraves (which is an absolute spectacular peice of coastline, with limestone pillars everywhere) and while the suns beating down on you as your sailing out towards the atlantic sit back and have a beer and just gaze at the awesome scenery. + if you want something different, there's horse riding which you can do only a dozen km's out of the little town, and another great way of seeing the 'countryside' of things.

Cheers :-)
Clint

--------------------
"Do not be afraid of death ...Be afraid of the half lived life!"

Europe & UK - 3 month backpacking adventure!
Latin America & Caribbean - Leaving everything I know, on a one-way ticket! - Currently On!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Jan 31 2007, 08:48 PM
Post #14

Rolling Stone

Totally agree with you on Lagos Clinton, one of my top destinations of the whole trip. I heard a lot of mixed stories about Lisboa too while I was out there. Did you have it bad over there?

--------------------
Woz..

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
clintonb
post Jan 31 2007, 09:04 PM
Post #15

Voyager

Member No.: 857

well, i had heard from a few people to watch the crime rate in Lisboa, and even a portugese guy i met in Czech Republic told me. I had alot of good experiences in Lisbon, but since we're talking about the 'dodgyness' of things, i experienced, ALOT of drug offerings (more than amsterdam), whitness 2 bag snatching while couples were sitting down having dinner. Girl in our dorm got a knife held to her throat and robbed at 10am in the morning the moment she stepped out of the hostel, alot of rude comments to the person i was with in lisbon at the time (female), etc... But thats the negatives, as i said there were positive's as well... if anyone is going there, i'd just watch yaself i guess :-)

did ya go there? how was ur experience...

p.s. if not, not missing out on too much, lagos is definatly a winner!! :-)

--------------------
"Do not be afraid of death ...Be afraid of the half lived life!"

Europe & UK - 3 month backpacking adventure!
Latin America & Caribbean - Leaving everything I know, on a one-way ticket! - Currently On!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
andytravelling
post Jul 8 2009, 04:03 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 264808

Ehi...my friend...just don't buy a go streight when some one ask. Nobody will stress you and you will not have any problem..

Despite the apparence Lisbon is a very safe place.I was living few months over there and I never had bad experiences.

I always suggest to my friend, that is visiting Lisbon, to have a walk in the city..up and down...with no destination, just to feel Lisbon! I love my friends ;-)

Relax and enjoy!

-----
Lisbon travel and events guide

QUOTE(clintonb @ Jan 31 2007, 09:04 PM) *

well, i had heard from a few people to watch the crime rate in Lisboa, and even a portugese guy i met in Czech Republic told me. I had alot of good experiences in Lisbon, but since we're talking about the 'dodgyness' of things, i experienced, ALOT of drug offerings (more than amsterdam), whitness 2 bag snatching while couples were sitting down having dinner. Girl in our dorm got a knife held to her throat and robbed at 10am in the morning the moment she stepped out of the hostel, alot of rude comments to the person i was with in lisbon at the time (female), etc... But thats the negatives, as i said there were positive's as well... if anyone is going there, i'd just watch yaself i guess :-)

did ya go there? how was ur experience...

p.s. if not, not missing out on too much, lagos is definatly a winner!! :-)

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 01:02 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.