Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Moving to UAE in August, all help is appreciated
moncs
post Mar 15 2010, 01:26 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 839501

My GF got a job in Abu Dhabi & I wish to join her over there. The thing is we know that living together is a bit of a no no. Are there ways around this at all?

Also do I need to find employment before heading over to the UAE?

My background is in graphic design, office management & I have experience in hotel operations in both management & custodial duties. BUT NO DEGREE is this a problem?

If I get a job before going over or even if I don't, will I be asked where I intend to live? Because my gf gets an apartment as part of her salary & I'd prefer to live with her.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
raniroo
post Mar 15 2010, 08:39 AM
Post #2

Sightseer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 19411

There are definitely ways around living together. Many people do live together but you need to be descreet. It's a huge problem if you get caught (gaol and deportation). Normally you would get caught if someone complained or authorities found out that you are living together. Abu Dhabi is more conservative than Dubai.

As for the job, it would be better to try and get one before you arrive as you need to be sponsored by that company. If you arrive on a tourist visa you will need to do visa runs (and it depends on your nationality as to how easy it is to do this), visa runs are something immigration is cracking down on.

Normally you don't need a degree but it does depend on the position and your experience.

If you are arriving on a tourist visa you may be asked where you are staying you will need to give an address (like a friend or the hotel you will be staying at), shouldn't have a problem with that.

A really good guide for living in the UAE is the Explorer book (Abu Dhabi and Dubai editions)...it's full of up to date information on all red tape!

Be prepared to arrive in stinking hot weather and it will be around Ramadam too, so will need to observe........

--------------------
If you really look like your passport photo, you need the holiday!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
moncs
post Mar 15 2010, 07:44 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 839501

Cool thanks for all the info, I was wondering if you could maybe help me with a few more questions?

How often do you hear about people being deported because of cohabitation, is it a common things? do you know of anyone it's happened too? It's important for us to "live" together as we need it so we can get a partnership visa when we get back to Australia

I have quite a lot of experience in my fields so I'm confident I could find a job, what are wages like there, I've heard the cost of living is quite high. I guess that could be a difficult to answer as it's different for everyone.

And one last question, what is public transport like in Abu Dhabi? or would I be better off just buying a car?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
raniroo
post Mar 16 2010, 06:03 AM
Post #4

Sightseer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 19411

I don't know anybody personally, but you do hear stories....obviously it will also depend on the Company your partner is working for, they may have strong objections about it too....

As for wages, that all depends on what your vocation is....cost of living is high and accommodation is higher in AD than in Dubai....

as for transport, much better to get a car (petrol is very cheap!). Apart from taxi's there is not a whole lot of options...catching a bus can be time consuming and in summer it will be like a furnace...much easier to have a car (hiring a basic car isn't to much, but if you are here for awhile it would be better to buy)...I will probably be selling my car in October/November *wink wink* smile.gif

--------------------
If you really look like your passport photo, you need the holiday!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 03:18 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in United Arab Emirates

Abu Dhabi Hotels
Ajman Hotels
Al Ain Hotels
Dibba Hotels
Dubai Hotels
Fujairah Hotels
Hatta Hotels
Jebel Dhanna Hotels
Khorfakkan Hotels
Liwa Hotels
Madinat Zayed Hotels
Mirfa Hotels
Ras Al Khaimah Hotels
Saadiyat Island Hotels
Sharjah Hotels
Sir Bani Yas Island Hotels
Umm Al Quwain Hotels
Yas Island Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.