Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Maafushi island, Maldives, Budget Maldives - Maafushi island
katerina9
post Aug 26 2012, 02:43 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3198053

Maafushi island (Maldives) is the best place for a holiday if you're looking for a cheap place for the best beach vacations and wanting to find the real life of Maldives.
The island is located in South Male’ Atoll, just 30 minutes from the airport and the capital male ' if you go on a speed boat. Also to the island can be reached by regular ferry coming from Male’ from 10 a.m. and 2.30 p.m. all days except Friday. Cost one way for one person is 2.5 - 3 $ and it takes 1.5 hours of time.
Maafushi is really nice local island! It is not resort but it is great place for those who want to immerse in the atmosphere of the local life of Maldives and Resort of Maldives at the same time.
On the island there are hospital, police station, school, many shops of food, clothing, household goods, fields for football and volleyball, concert Playground, bar, cafe on the shore of the ocean, where tables are standing right in the sand. There's two good beach with white sand and a very good coral reef.
All the prices are low as they are for local residents in contrast to the island-resorts. While you can at least every day to travel to the neighboring island-resorts, which are located in a few minutes by speed boat and spend a whole day there, taking advantage of all the infrastructure free of charge. (For example, a trip to the nearby Byadhoo island-resort with dinner, beach towels, the opportunity to enjoy all of the amenities of the hotel, transfer to a whole day worth of Summer Villa guest house of $15).
The Maafushians are very friendly people ever ready to help without any sign of self-interest. So you will be able to by souvenirs times cheaper than they sell for the resort tourists. Local shops (except souvenirs) have fixed prices and you can by fruits, snacks and even swimming fins there for the real (not resort) price.
Maafushi it is a where you can see the ocean from any place on the island. The Indian Ocean is calm and very beautiful. You can enjoy it as a natural swimming pool. There is a nice coral reef nearby.
There are two beaches on Maafushi on opposite sides of the island. The reef is located in the west side, if you walk away from Summer villa Guest house on the left. You must walk on the snow-white sand in shallow water a few meters long and there begins a good riff. Steep wall of coral and fish. I saw there a huge turtle, eagle rays (very nice!), Dolphins and groups of all kinds of fishes. It should carry with them flippers necessarily because it is the ocean, and without them hanging like an empty bottle.
It is a great choice for the tourists that want "budget holidays". Resort rest (15$ all day with lunch), the snorkeling, fishing from boat, swimming with manta ray and dolphins , a picnic on a deserted island, rest on a small beach in the middle of the ocean (a small island, where nothing except sand), a concert of national culture and etc.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
katerina9
post Aug 29 2012, 11:17 AM
Post #2

QUOTE(molly22 @ Aug 29 2012, 05:27 AM) *

Thanks for sharing this wonderful information.This would be really helpful for me while planning my trip to Maldives.

I am very glad if that information help someone. I love Maldives and Maafushi, was there twice and can tell more details about Male', Maafushi and excursions to near by Resorts and other place.
Molly22, thank you very much for your words smile.gif

Maldives was my dream and the dream of my husband. We did not have the money to Resort but wanted to go on Maldives, especially that we were very close before on Sri Lanka. The first trip turned out to be completely random manner. At that time was no any information about Maafushi. We went at our own risk. Since then we sick Maafushi, Maldives, Summer villa guest house, and as you know, been there 2 times already, and probably will go again. It really is a great opportunity to realize dream about Maldives.
There are some guest houses. I stayed in Summer Villa Guest house. It is an excellent Guest House with wonderful family-like atmosphere. The Guesthouse is kept by a Maldivian family. So all the relatives are really interested in each guest and make everything possible to make the guests happy all the time. I came here twice and it was an absolutely different experience in comparison with the previous visit but again wonderful. If you decide to go there you will feel yourself like in out-of-town house with the amazingly beautiful warm ocean and palm trees near by. All staff is very friendly and caring like your good friends.
A cozy place. To be honest, I examined in detail on this island, the benefit was a lot of time there. And when the question arose to what hotel to choose, my husband said unequivocally Summer villa guest house and I myself did not want to go anywhere else. You feel yourself in his hotel like in your cottage in the Maldives, it is true! You will see yourself. They organize excellent excursions. Rooms were spacious and furnished with a large soft bed and bedside tables, a large wardrobe with a wooden safe inside, a dressing table with bench, fridge, powerful AC, fans, etc. Every room had a private toilet and shower with hot water. Bed sheets and pillowcases were changed regularly. Room was very clean and cozy. There are soap and shampoo in bathroom. Staff cares for you if you are like the owner of this house and they are your staff. smile.gif)) Really nice!
There was also a kitchen for guests in Summer Villa. Everyone could use tableware, toaster, and coffeemaker facilities or take boiling water for independent meals. But it was also possible to order the stuff to cook lunch for you.
Dinner was a buffet. Every evening the staff lighted candles and so each dinner turned into a romantic dating. If you decide to come with children you should not worry about food. My son (3 years old) enjoyed food in Summer Villa café.
Summer Villa guest house is the best place to relax, have a good rest and get a charge of positive emotions and energy. The same time if you wish an active or extreme leisure the hotel staff can arrange excursions and active kinds of sports for you. The guest house provides cheap excursions to several resort islands, Park Island, Sand Bank, Manta and Wale shark spots. They can arrange dolphin watching, fishing and snorkeling in very picturesque areas. I also saw Bodu Beru - the show of traditional dances and songs of the Maldivian culture.
There is free Wi-Fi in the hotel.
Room price is about 45 or 50 dollars a night double room + Bed Tax $ 8 per person per day + 6% per room per night service charge + 10% tax. Total 45+8+8+4.5+2.7 = 68.2 dollars. All taxes are required for the entire Maldives, and the same everywhere.
Dinner is $ 7 per person buffet. With the dessert. Every night they making candlelight. Very romantic! Breakfast is included in the price (also buffet). Lunch on request. You can order a la carte. You can buy at the store on their own products at low prices and in the kitchen for tourists to eat. This added convenience for me there. There is hot water kettle, toaster, tea and coffee free, dishes. You can do everything that you want. Complete freedom, just like at home. You can eat at other hotels or cafes. But it is not safe. All experienced myself. Tourists from another hotels comes to eat in Summer villa.
It is advisable to swim in a solid swimsuit or in a t-shirt, tunic. But I saw tourists in a separate bathing suit. Nobody remarks are made. However, there is a law and it must be respected. And the sun in the Maldives is quite hard so you need to use long sleeves because you can get a sun burnt! And you can walk around the island as you like. And in T-shirts and shorts and a short skirt! For tourists there is a special relationship - complete freedom within reasonable limits.
And on any excursions you can use a separate bathing suit. I used tunics, t-shots and sunscreen and always have nice even tan, believe me. And no sun burnt. I was afraid it also at first time but the nature dictates its own laws and I used except tunics leggings the first days.
Very good alternative to expensive resorts. A wonderful place with wonderful people always on hand to help and make sure your holiday lives up to all your expectations!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
katerina9
post Aug 30 2012, 05:13 AM
Post #3

[/quote]
I am really grateful to you that you are really helping people to plan their trip to best part of the world with all the information they need from accommodation to food.Keep up the good work God bless you
[/quote]

Dear Molly22, your words give me confidence in the correctness of my actions. smile.gif Thank you very much! If you are going to make a trip on this island I can help you to make it the cheapest and unforgettable. You can ask me any questions. smile.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
katerina9
post Aug 31 2012, 06:05 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(caryntobler @ Aug 30 2012, 08:37 AM) *

Nice to learn about this experience! Talking of Maldives: What are your thoughts travelpod members of visiting Maldives like easing around? I’ mean like your first visit and also returning back at some point, what is the appropriate way to navigate, do you start with the bigger Islands or smaller ones?

Maldives mainly approximately the same size, which can be around for 15-30 minutes at a leisurely pace. The largest island is the capital Male' (taxi ride takes 20 minutes from one to the other and costs (us $ 1.5)). This is not the best place for rest. There you can go for advantageous exchange, purchase local SIM cards, etc. The Islands are divided on the
Island-resort and the Islands of the local inhabitants.
Resort-the island this hotel, which occupies the whole of the island and the price depends on the quantity and quality of provided services. Local Islands is the island where the live local For this journey I chose a local island Maafushi where had the opportunity to cheap stay in the hotel, benefit from lower prices of local shops and souvenir shops. (Souvenir shops sell a pretty expensive products for tourists who come from resorts-islands, but for tourists who stay at Maafushi the price is considerably less). Every day I went to the neighboring Islands for a low price and received a bunch of impressions, and in the evening return to the Maafushi. Thus the rest turned out economical and more full of impressions than I was vacationing only on the one expensive resort-island.
Holiday in Maldives is expensive if you stay on Resort island like Conrad Hotel on Alifu (Ari) Atoll (USD 450 per night), Anantara Veli Maldives (US$ 790 per night), Biyadhoo Island Resort (US$ 292), Cocoa Island (US$ 1400) and other islands-hotels of South Male' Atoll. But if you will stay on Maafushi island South Male' Atoll it will costs for example in Summer Villa Guest House about USD 70 per night for 2 persons. It is really big difference in the price.

It is very easy to go from island to island because all my baggage be situated in my room in the same hotel on Maafushi island and every night I sleeping in the same comfortable bed and in any trip on new island with me same very friendly staff that brings me and take back on speed boat.
So you don't to have change every time your hotel. During all your holiday you stay in one cheap hotel but cozy with family-like atmosphere. Every day you can spend on Resort islands South Male' Atoll: Anantara Veli Maldives, Biyadhoo Island Resort, Cocoa Island and other. And you can go on islands without people. There are some island where you can stay all day absolutely alone. The staff from the hotel brings you on this island and can arrange for you picnic with barbecue. And every evening I returned back on Maafushi island in Summer Villa Guest house. It is not expensive excursions. I can for example to calculate the day of rest in this way. Day in Summer villa hotel costs about $ 70 for two with Breakfast. After Breakfast you on a speed boat will go to Biyadhoo Island Resort and resting the whole day there, enjoying all the amenities as guests of the Biyadhoo Island (restaurant, toilet, shower, sun beds, beaches, Spa-salon etc. The Spa and the food in the restaurant as guests of the Biyadhoo Island you pay extra). The hotel give you lunch with you and in the evening they take you on a high-speed boat back to the Maafushi. It costs 15 dollars. The price includes riding on a speed boat twice, lunch, rest on the island. And dinner in the Summer villa guest house was cost usd 7 per person. Total all day for 2 pesron on 2 islands will cost about USD 120.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
katerina9
post Nov 4 2012, 04:34 PM
Post #5

There are no alcohol on this island as it is prohibited on all local islands. But there are a non-alcoholic beer, champagne and other drinks in cafes and bars, as well as in stores. Especially I advise ginger beer is very pleasant to the taste and refreshing. And all this is small money.
Agree on a time when staff from your hotel will take away you with resort can be agreed individually. So you can enjoy a dinner at the resort with wine and other alcoholic beverages. However the cost of dinner and wine will be quite expensive, as all on the Islands-resort.
But I had an experience a romantic dinner on a small sandy island, where dinner was served only for one couple. In the middle of the ocean only a couple in love, on the sand in the form of heart candles, and inside this heart only one table for two. It was fabulous! And with wine wink.gif This was arranged by the staff of Summer Villa guesthouse and worth several times cheaper a dinner on resort. So this is very romantic option which will remain an unforgettable experience for all. Believe my experience.

Maybe someone interested more details - so my impressions in own video and photos:
http://youtu.be/Sej-fKURONw
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
skaswani2
post Feb 23 2013, 10:39 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 3617513

hi katerina9:
can u provide me more info about cost etc?i am planning to go thr. you talked about summer villa guest house but its very expensive ..its $200 per night..i am checking it online...

QUOTE(katerina9 @ Aug 31 2012, 06:05 AM) *

QUOTE(caryntobler @ Aug 30 2012, 08:37 AM) *

Nice to learn about this experience! Talking of Maldives: What are your thoughts travelpod members of visiting Maldives like easing around? I’ mean like your first visit and also returning back at some point, what is the appropriate way to navigate, do you start with the bigger Islands or smaller ones?

Maldives mainly approximately the same size, which can be around for 15-30 minutes at a leisurely pace. The largest island is the capital Male' (taxi ride takes 20 minutes from one to the other and costs (us $ 1.5)). This is not the best place for rest. There you can go for advantageous exchange, purchase local SIM cards, etc. The Islands are divided on the
Island-resort and the Islands of the local inhabitants.
Resort-the island this hotel, which occupies the whole of the island and the price depends on the quantity and quality of provided services. Local Islands is the island where the live local For this journey I chose a local island Maafushi where had the opportunity to cheap stay in the hotel, benefit from lower prices of local shops and souvenir shops. (Souvenir shops sell a pretty expensive products for tourists who come from resorts-islands, but for tourists who stay at Maafushi the price is considerably less). Every day I went to the neighboring Islands for a low price and received a bunch of impressions, and in the evening return to the Maafushi. Thus the rest turned out economical and more full of impressions than I was vacationing only on the one expensive resort-island.
Holiday in Maldives is expensive if you stay on Resort island like Conrad Hotel on Alifu (Ari) Atoll (USD 450 per night), Anantara Veli Maldives (US$ 790 per night), Biyadhoo Island Resort (US$ 292), Cocoa Island (US$ 1400) and other islands-hotels of South Male' Atoll. But if you will stay on Maafushi island South Male' Atoll it will costs for example in Summer Villa Guest House about USD 70 per night for 2 persons. It is really big difference in the price.

It is very easy to go from island to island because all my baggage be situated in my room in the same hotel on Maafushi island and every night I sleeping in the same comfortable bed and in any trip on new island with me same very friendly staff that brings me and take back on speed boat.
So you don't to have change every time your hotel. During all your holiday you stay in one cheap hotel but cozy with family-like atmosphere. Every day you can spend on Resort islands South Male' Atoll: Anantara Veli Maldives, Biyadhoo Island Resort, Cocoa Island and other. And you can go on islands without people. There are some island where you can stay all day absolutely alone. The staff from the hotel brings you on this island and can arrange for you picnic with barbecue. And every evening I returned back on Maafushi island in Summer Villa Guest house. It is not expensive excursions. I can for example to calculate the day of rest in this way. Day in Summer villa hotel costs about $ 70 for two with Breakfast. After Breakfast you on a speed boat will go to Biyadhoo Island Resort and resting the whole day there, enjoying all the amenities as guests of the Biyadhoo Island (restaurant, toilet, shower, sun beds, beaches, Spa-salon etc. The Spa and the food in the restaurant as guests of the Biyadhoo Island you pay extra). The hotel give you lunch with you and in the evening they take you on a high-speed boat back to the Maafushi. It costs 15 dollars. The price includes riding on a speed boat twice, lunch, rest on the island. And dinner in the Summer villa guest house was cost usd 7 per person. Total all day for 2 pesron on 2 islands will cost about USD 120.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
katerina9
post Feb 25 2013, 04:14 AM
Post #7

[quote name='skaswani2' date='Feb 23 2013, 10:39 AM' post='621023']
hi katerina9:
can u provide me more info about cost etc?i am planning to go thr. you talked about summer villa guest house but its very expensive ..its $200 per night..i am checking it online...

[quote name='katerina9' post='586343' date='Aug 31 2012, 06:05 AM']

Hi skaswani2,

I just now looked at booking.com prices on the Summer Villa guest house, and for example, from 23 June to 1 July the price for a room for two persons is $ 45! The price 200 $ only in May only on one last room that’s why high price. On all other dates prices is 45 dollar a day. In fact, now Summer Villa guest house is a three-storey mini-hotel with a terrace on the roof and comfortable rooms. Only recently has been completed. So the price should be higher than when I was there. But the owner continues to keep a low price as in former times. Now a great opportunity is at a very low price to rest in very comfortable conditions.
By the way, you know that booking.com takes 15% to the cost of the rooms! For each night you pay more money for services of the intermediary. Everywhere I always contact the hotel directly, not overpaying intermediaries and sometimes receive discounts and bonuses. The best way to save money - contact the hotel directly by e-mail. This will be the most advantageous price and you will be able to discuss the details of your trip directly with the owner or manager.

All the best!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
skaswani2
post Feb 25 2013, 05:12 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 3617513

[quote name='katerina9' date='Feb 25 2013, 04:14 AM' post='621223']
[quote name='skaswani2' date='Feb 23 2013, 10:39 AM' post='621023']
hi katerina9:

[quote name='katerina9' post='586343' date='Aug 31 2012, 06:05 AM']

Hi skaswani2,

I just now looked at booking.com prices on the Summer Villa guest house, and for example, from 23 June to 1 July the price for a room for two persons is $ 45! The price 200 $ only in May only on one last room that’s why high price. On all other dates prices is 45 dollar a day. In fact, now Summer Villa guest house is a three-storey mini-hotel with a terrace on the roof and comfortable rooms. Only recently has been completed. So the price should be higher than when I was there. But the owner continues to keep a low price as in former times. Now a great opportunity is at a very low price to rest in very comfortable conditions.
By the way, you know that booking.com takes 15% to the cost of the rooms! For each night you pay more money for services of the intermediary. Everywhere I always contact the hotel directly, not overpaying intermediaries and sometimes receive discounts and bonuses. The best way to save money - contact the hotel directly by e-mail. This will be the most advantageous price and you will be able to discuss the details of your trip directly with the owner or manager.

All the best!
[/quote]

thanks alot.. thats a good piece info tht you gave me. i have sent an email directly to hotel lets see wat they say.. i might need more help from you. in case i do i will contact u.. thank u smile.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sherry123
post Mar 1 2013, 12:54 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 3632583

Hi Kate,

Thanks a lot for all the info. I am planning to surprise my wife to maldives in mid march sometime. Could you tell me if the weather would be good for this time of the year? Secondly, I have a reservation at holiday lodge maldives...i found booking.com gave a better review and rating for this one. Any idea?

Also I have no idea what I will do once I am there. What kind of activities are there? we are both into adventuring and all, so dunno what to do. snorkeling...wind sailing etc?

Thanks a lot for the the personal replies, ur doing a great job!! smile.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
katerina9
post Mar 5 2013, 06:43 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(sherry123 @ Mar 1 2013, 12:54 PM) *

Hi Kate,

Thanks a lot for all the info. I am planning to surprise my wife to maldives in mid march sometime. Could you tell me if the weather would be good for this time of the year? Secondly, I have a reservation at holiday lodge maldives...i found booking.com gave a better review and rating for this one. Any idea?

Also I have no idea what I will do once I am there. What kind of activities are there? we are both into adventuring and all, so dunno what to do. snorkeling...wind sailing etc?

Thanks a lot for the the personal replies, ur doing a great job!! smile.gif

Hi sherry123,

This is a wonderful idea to make a surprise for your wife take her to the Maldives. She is very lucky. According to my observations the weather in March should be wonderful. So there can be no doubt at the expense of time travel. Unfortunately I cannot say anything on account of your choice of the hotel. I was not there and don't know anything about him. To be honest, and there is no desire, because my choice was tested twice and the emotional comfort and home atmosphere as at Summer Villa guest house is unlikely to meet somewhere else.

The guest house provides cheap excursions to several resort islands, Park Island, Sand Bank, Manta and Wale shark spots. They can arrange dolphin watching, fishing and snorkeling in very picturesque areas. All day on Byadhoo resort, the snorkeling near by Coco island 10 – 15 $. There are several more expensive resorts because entrance on Resort-island is expensive. You can go every day on Byadhoo resort and one time on expensive resorts. Not expensive Sand Bank about 20$. The guest house provides cheap excursions to several resort islands, Park Island, Sand Bank, Manta and Wale shark spots. They can arrange dolphin watching, fishing and snorkeling in very picturesque areas. I also saw Bodu Beru - the show of traditional dances and songs of the Maldivian culture. The same time if you wish an active or extreme leisure the hotel staff can arrange excursions and active kinds of sports for you. Everywhere you can swim in separate bathing suit but it’s very dangerous because the equator’s sun is very strong.
In my experience the first 5 days better to use leotards and tunic not to spoil all rest of how many people I have met there.
In fact, it is an extensive choice of trips to various Islands and excursions to the value and activities so it is difficult to single something out. Everything has its own charm and beauty.
But if you are interested in the details of any particular trips, then write about it, I detailed write about everything.

More details about excursions.

1. Dolphin Watching Trips (about 20 $).
It is a cruise specially designed for watching dolphins. You can see how they dancing, jumping and playing with each other. Also you can touch someone from the boat. It is a surprisingly unforgettable impression!

2. Trip to Picnic islands (about 65$ with barbecue and with transfer in two sides).
Picnic islands are small uninhabited islands that have equal natural beauty and setup. A picnic island is more natural than resorts and has more privacy. However, picnic islands have all the required facilities such as toilets, bar, rooms, eating and dining facilities. You can spend the whole day in the clear waters of these islands, swimming, snorkeling, Beach games and experience a barbecue on the beach. And you will be alone on this island.

3. Excursion on Resort (from 15$ till 150$).

4. Dhivehi Cultural Music and Dance – BODU BERU (from 0$ - 10$).
This is show Maldives songs, playing drums and dancing.

5. Fishing.
Fishing can be an adventure. You can catch such as sailfish, swordfish, marlin, wahoo, barracuda, yellowfin tuna and other game. You can enjoy excellent fishing from aboard Maldivian dhonee. Day and Night fishing using the traditional local style fishing with fishing line and weights. Everybody will catch some or many fishes and after that for you will be cooked your catch on barbecue.

6. Malé Excursion.
And many other excursions.

I had an experience a romantic dinner on a small sandy island, where dinner was served only for one couple. In the middle of the ocean only a couple in love, on the sand in the form of heart candles, and inside this heart only one table for two. It was fabulous! And with wine wink.gif This was arranged by the staff of Summer Villa guesthouse and worth several times cheaper then a dinner on resort. So this is very romantic option which will remain an unforgettable experience for all.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sherry123
post Mar 5 2013, 06:57 AM
Post #11

wow!! thanks again for such a detailed reply. I absolutely loved the idea of the romantic dinner you mentioned in the end. I am definitely gonna try that out. I think you have already answered all my questions, if there are any more I would definitely ask you again.
Thanks again!! smile.gif cant wait for the vacation to start now....its gonna be my first beach trip ever, sooo excited! biggrin.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
palmino
post May 18 2013, 02:18 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 3851763

Hi Katerina,

You've been very helpful with all of this information! :-)

I want to go there, but can you tell me how to travel from Malé International Airport to Maafushi Island? From what I have seen, there is one ferry every day except Friday, and another on 3 days of the week. The flight departing the Maldives is at 10pm and I can only see a ferry leaving Maafushi at 7:30am, so I must spend the whole day in Malé?

A speedboat sounds expensive - 177 USD each way?

Any help would be much appreciated,
Thanks!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sherry123
post May 19 2013, 01:23 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(palmino @ May 18 2013, 02:18 AM) *

Hi Katerina,

You've been very helpful with all of this information! :-)

I want to go there, but can you tell me how to travel from Malé International Airport to Maafushi Island? From what I have seen, there is one ferry every day except Friday, and another on 3 days of the week. The flight departing the Maldives is at 10pm and I can only see a ferry leaving Maafushi at 7:30am, so I must spend the whole day in Malé?

A speedboat sounds expensive - 177 USD each way?

Any help would be much appreciated,
Thanks!

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sherry123
post May 19 2013, 01:36 AM
Post #14

Hey

I guess the only two ways to leave maafushi are via the ferry or the speed boat sad.gif When I left maafushi, it was a monday. And that day there were two ferries leaving maafushi. One in the morning and one in the afternoon. So you can call the hotel and ask them about the timings.

Incase you end up spending a lot of time in Male, brace urself for a bit of a disappointment. There is not much to do. Our flight was supposed to depart Male around midnight so we had to spend a good 7 hours over there. We went to an artificial beach, caught a movie and then spent the rest of the time in this cafe called sunset cafe.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
yanny2013
post May 19 2013, 02:56 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 3854443

Hi everyone! thank you all for all the great info! smile.gif My girlfriend and I are planning to go to Maldives for a surf trip. We really like Maafushi island and I have spent the entire week looking for any information about surfing there, however, I cant find almost anything about the cost of getting to the surf spots nearby (Kandooma, Riptides, Foxes near Anantara resort and others).
Does the guesthouse provide rides to those breaks or is it always just resort excursions. I'd love any info about how it works and how much it is when one wants to hit those beautiful surf spots near Maafushi island.

Tahnk you smile.gif Jan and Ivana
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sherry123
post May 19 2013, 03:07 AM
Post #16

Heyy..
We went to Fun Islanad, Fihalhohi islanndand Kandooma. Our lodge arranged all the excursions for us, and usually that is the norm. And its more convenient as well.

Usually, they charge you 20$-30$ per person for speed boat transfer to any islanad from Maafushi. The price depends on the number of people going along with u. The transfer fee becomes less if more people are going.

Also there is an entrance fee to every island, which is variable but again usually 30% - 50$. Kandooma islanad is slightly an outlier here as its entrance is 100$ per person - kandooma is a holiday inn resort hence price is high. But u can use this 100$ for any activity inside the island. My wife went for a spa and I went for turtle snorkeling so it was worth it.

Kandoom is great for water activities, fihalhohi is great for a picturesque beach
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
yanny2013
post May 19 2013, 03:27 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 3854443

QUOTE(sherry123 @ May 19 2013, 03:07 AM) *

Heyy..
We went to Fun Islanad, Fihalhohi islanndand Kandooma. Our lodge arranged all the excursions for us, and usually that is the norm. And its more convenient as well.

Usually, they charge you 20$-30$ per person for speed boat transfer to any islanad from Maafushi. The price depends on the number of people going along with u. The transfer fee becomes less if more people are going.

Also there is an entrance fee to every island, which is variable but again usually 30% - 50$. Kandooma islanad is slightly an outlier here as its entrance is 100$ per person - kandooma is a holiday inn resort hence price is high. But u can use this 100$ for any activity inside the island. My wife went for a spa and I went for turtle snorkeling so it was worth it.

Kandoom is great for water activities, fihalhohi is great for a picturesque beach

Thanks for the fast reply! smile.gif I suppose it should also be possible to get a ride only to the breaks without having to pay the entrance fee (some breaks are remote and thus not part of any resort ) .
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sherry123
post May 19 2013, 03:38 AM
Post #18

ur welcome smile.gif .. umm from what I gauged, ull have to pay everytime u use the speed boat. Like we were coming back from Kandooma and we wanted to take a slight detour for dolphin watching. They charged us extra for that little detour. So, good idea would be to confirm from ur hotel beforehand. (ppl are very friendly there so feel free to ask anything. Also carry only dollars, dont convert ur money to local currency)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 06:07 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Maldives

Alifu Atoll Hotels
Angaga Island Hotels
Angsana Hotels
Bandos Hotels
Bathala Island Hotels
Bodu Hithi Island Hotels
Centara Grand Island Hotels
Dhiggiri Hotels
Emboodhu Finolhu Hotels
Gan Hotels
Haa Aliff Atoll Hotels
Hanimaadhoo Hotels
Hembadhu Hotels
Hulhule Island Hotels
Hulhumale Hotels
Huvafen Fushi Island Hotels
Kaafu Atoll Hotels
Kanuhara Hotels
Kunfunadhoo Hotels
Kuramathi Hotels
Kuredu Hotels
Lankanfinolhu Island Hotels
Maafushi Hotels
Maguhdhuvaa Hotels
Male Hotels
North Ari Atoll Hotels
North Huvadhu (Gaafa Alifu) Atoll Hotels
North Male Atoll Hotels
Olhuveli Island Hotels
Rangali Island Hotels
Rinbudhoo Hotels
Shaviyani Atoll Hotels
South Ari Atoll Hotels
South Male Atoll Hotels
Thudufushi Island Hotels
Thulusdhoo Island Hotels
Vabbinfaru Hotels
Velidhoo Hotels
Vilamendhoo Hotels
Villingili Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.