Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Simple questions about Thailand, from a simple minded guy
darrenstravels
post Jan 12 2009, 12:34 PM
Post #1

Tourist

Group: Members
Member No.: 167016
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hello,

I've a few questions about Central and Northern Thailand, and I would appreciate those who know the country well if they could offer up some advice.

* The Train Network

Outside of public holidays, how busy does it get? Am I likely to be able to get a ticket a few hours before it goes, to popular places like Bangkok to Chiang Mai or from Nong Khai to Bangkok? Would it better to book ahead by a few days?

* Booking things ahead - i.e. whilst in the UK still

I'm looking at being there for most of May, I doubt very much I will be going off the tourist route too far (if at all), I'm a (first time) solo traveler who doesn't care too much about accommodation as long as I can get some sleep and wake up with my bags still there in the morning. Will I be able to find ample accommodation at that time? I don't want to book ahead as I don't like the idea of having to keep to a schedule....but at the same time I don't want to have to search for three hours to find a bed in a cesspit.

* Experience with Air Asia?

At the end of the trip I have to make a trip over to Bali, and I'd be doing it with Air Asia. Thoughts on this airline? I don't care for comfort, facilities or service, but I do care that my flight (and airline) will still be running, as I cant be late in Bali, at all. Also, I'd have to fly back to Bangkok to get my flight home to the UK as one way tickets are proper expensive.

I think that's it really. I like the idea of doing things on the spur, but I am also tainted by previous bad experiences that mean I now need reassuring that I can do the above fairly simply. If im honest, I think I know the answers to the above, but like most people attempting to step out of their comfort zone, I also need reassuring too.

Thanks guys,
Darren

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jan 12 2009, 05:39 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

Hey Darren,

Well, if you're traveling in May, you're all set to pick up last minute tickets and make last minute arrangements with little or no trouble at all. I'd say no trouble at all smile.gif May is outside of high tourist season and you won't see nearly as many people as you will between roughly November and January to February. I've been a number of times outside of the peak season and quite frankly, it's my favourite. You'll experience a little more rain but, who cares?? You seem like you'll deal just fine smile.gif So, definitely no worries about accommodation or last minute train tickets. There are a couple of holidays in May you can check out here on Wiki. Those are really the only times you might want to plan a bit ahead and even then they aren't major deals, as in, you shouldn't have too much of a problem traveling on those dates.

I've flown Air Asia once and found it completely reasonable, both in price and the flight itself as well.

I think that's it really. I like the idea of doing things on the spur, but I am also tainted by previous bad experiences that mean I now need reassuring that I can do the above fairly simply. If im honest, I think I know the answers to the above, but like most people attempting to step out of their comfort zone, I also need reassuring too.

You'll have no trouble flying by the seat of your pants at that time of year. Infact, I'm sure you'll have a really great experience being outside the thick of tourist season( it can get a little much sometimes). Actually, I'm totally jealous! I think May's a great time to go!

ScottWoz is chilling in Phuket ( I think he's still there anyway!) and I'm sure he can answer any more specific questions if you have more. I've traveled through SEA five times and even got married in those parts smile.gif Good times. But, my downfall is it's been a few years since I've been and , as they do, some things have changed. Al in all though,l you're in for the time of your life!

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Jan 12 2009, 08:24 PM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 124

Mate,

You'll have absolutely no problems, none at all. YES you'll get a train ticket hours before, YES you'll have plenty of accommodation options to peck at, and NO you won't have any problems solo-ing your way around. My advice? Don't book ahead, it'll take the adventure out. You won't have any issues regarding what you want to do, especially at the time you're wanting to do it. You have just the right attitude, you're different to many, which is why many mill around in their self-imposed difficulties and why you'll have a very rewarding experience.

Anything specific just shout up and I'll do what I can. I may even be up that way myself around then. Let us know when you get here and I'll PM my number over to you. Anything you need just call.

Go for it, you'll have a great time.. thumbsup.png

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
darrenstravels
post Jan 14 2009, 02:54 PM
Post #4

Tourist

Now they are what I call helpful replies! Thank you so much, both of you. In fact as I type I have a huge grin, that I can't really explain.

It's still very much at a "planning" stage, and does depend on a few other things as well, sadly, but I'm also pretty hopeful. I will definitely be in Bali, as my big sister is getting married, but while I'm in the area...why not?

Thanks again guys.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Jan 14 2009, 03:09 PM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

Good to hear the grin's stretching wide D, and don't worry about the planning too much - it'll all fall in to place.. yes.gif

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jan 14 2009, 08:34 PM
Post #6

Rolling Stone

Yup. Scott's right. It will fall all into place. Thailand has a way of whisking you off on one great, big adventure. Little planning necessary! You're going to love it!

I have a smile on my face thinking about your excitement! I can't wait to read what you get up to!

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lunthom
post Jan 14 2009, 08:43 PM
Post #7

Nomad

Member No.: 103052

yes, you do no need to reserve the train ticket , if your plan is not in the 1st week of May coz Thai holiday and if you would not mind about the train type I mean hard seat without air-con you can buy upfront before departure.

Air asia is promotion now till 18.1.09 to Denparsa and others , let 's you chek it on thier web site.

Hope they can help you.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Jan 16 2009, 07:27 AM
Post #8

Navigator

Member No.: 98

Yeah, I am pretty much going to agree with everyone else and only writing to put you even more at ease.

Accommodation - there is plenty and you won't come across any problems in that department.

Air Asia to Bali - not a problem. Done that recently and everything was fine. They are well established now and no indications they will go belly up any time soon.

Train - should be able to get it on the day. This is the only one where there is some chance of your plan going adrift, but should be OK. If you are going to have a day or so in Bangkok exploring, why not get the train ticket as a priority, then chill out exploring the city for a bit. Just a day or two in advance may make all the difference. I'd also recommend the 2nd class sleeper. If you are going overnight (again recommended) the 3rd class hard seats can be bit tiresome, whereas for a bit more you can have one of the most comfortable sleeps of your trip in 2nd class sleeper.

Let me know if you want a name / phone number of a driver/guide in Bali - we had a great one and I'd be happy to pass him some more work.

Have a great trip

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
skylab
post Jan 16 2009, 08:05 AM
Post #9

World Traveler

Member No.: 228012

Now I'm wondering about the same questions but for August. I should be there around that time.

--------------------
DJSkylab.com: My blog :)
ArtOfBackpacking.com: Backpacking Independent International Traveler
Facebook
"They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself." -Andy Warhol
"My body has certainly wandered a good deal, but I have an uneasy suspicion that my mind has not wandered enough." -Noel Coward
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
skylab
post Jan 16 2009, 08:40 AM
Post #10

World Traveler

Member No.: 228012

Hey Scott, how long will you be in Thailand for?

--------------------
DJSkylab.com: My blog :)
ArtOfBackpacking.com: Backpacking Independent International Traveler
Facebook
"They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself." -Andy Warhol
"My body has certainly wandered a good deal, but I have an uneasy suspicion that my mind has not wandered enough." -Noel Coward
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Jan 16 2009, 07:53 PM
Post #11

Navigator

Member No.: 98

Same answers for August.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Jan 16 2009, 11:07 PM
Post #12

Rolling Stone

Agree on the 2nd class sleeper theory. I've took five in Thailand now and reckon it's one of the best ways to travel by far.
QUOTE(skylab @ Jan 16 2009, 08:40 PM) *

Hey Scott, how long will you be in Thailand for?
As always I'm a man without a plan Stan. If I'm here I'll shout you a beer, but if I'm not I won't be far wink.gif

--------------------
Woz..

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wickyjennings
post Jan 17 2009, 06:51 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 266825

I'm going to be around Thailand from June, with a flight to Oz in November (30th Birthday in August so chasing those visa's). I will also be travelling solo. I've been using the site for ages for inspiration and have recentely joined proper.

This is the first post have I read and the advice instantely put me at ease and got me grinning like a loon crazy.gif . Thank you everyone. I look forward to getting involved.

I have one question. I'll be coming from Nepal (month trekking) and the madness of India. Around June what would be a good island to chill out on for a bit? As I know it will be the wet season.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travelmonster
post Jan 17 2009, 03:39 PM
Post #14

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 101826

Hi Wicky,

I don't know the answer to your question, but just to say welcome to the forums!!

--------------------
In Search Of ...........

"Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment sparkling like a star in our hand -- and melting like a snowflake" - Marie Beynon Ray
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lunthom
post Jan 18 2009, 08:20 PM
Post #15

Nomad

Member No.: 103052

QUOTE(wickyjennings @ Jan 17 2009, 06:51 AM) *

I'm going to be around Thailand from June, with a flight to Oz in November (30th Birthday in August so chasing those visa's). I will also be travelling solo. I've been using the site for ages for inspiration and have recentely joined proper.

This is the first post have I read and the advice instantely put me at ease and got me grinning like a loon crazy.gif . Thank you everyone. I look forward to getting involved.

I have one question. I'll be coming from Nepal (month trekking) and the madness of India. Around June what would be a good island to chill out on for a bit? As I know it will be the wet season.

Koh Tao, Samui ,Phangan and Kho Chang at Aow Thai side should be fine in the rainy season.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Jan 19 2009, 10:04 PM
Post #16

Rolling Stone

Agreed. I spent last June/July around Krabi, Koh Phi Phi and Koh Pha Ngan and the weather was marvellous. No worries..

--------------------
Woz..

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jan 20 2009, 09:05 AM
Post #17

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(ScottWoz @ Jan 19 2009, 10:04 PM) *

Agreed. I spent last June/July around Krabi, Koh Phi Phi and Koh Pha Ngan and the weather was marvellous. No worries..

We kicked back around that area in the summer time too and it was really nice smile.gif

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jan 21 2009, 10:02 AM
Post #18

Rolling Stone

Hey Darren, check this out too;

THAI cut domestic, international prices

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways International Plc (THAI) is cutting domestic airfare in between 45-55 percent from market price while dipping ticket price for international routes up to 50 percent, aims to stimulate traveling in first quarter this year.

"This is the first time the airline offers such extra lower airfare," Chris Chantalitanon, director area for Thailand, Indochina and Myanmar , said Wednesday.

-- The Nation 2009-01-21

Always worth looking into smile.gif

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
darrenstravels
post Jan 21 2009, 05:39 PM
Post #19

Tourist

Oh sweet, thanks for that.

I originally checked out Thai, but they were charging 300 to go to Bali, whereas AirAsia had it at 80! I normally fly budget airlines, just have never flown with AirAsia so a little anxious about them - but great reviews on here, so that's me sold.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jan 22 2009, 10:10 AM
Post #20

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(darrenstravels @ Jan 21 2009, 05:39 PM) *

Oh sweet, thanks for that.

I originally checked out Thai, but they were charging 300 to go to Bali, whereas AirAsia had it at 80! I normally fly budget airlines, just have never flown with AirAsia so a little anxious about them - but great reviews on here, so that's me sold.

Yeah, all the flights I looked at with AA were cheap as chips. Being from Canada, some prices had my jaw on the floor. I only flew the one time but next time, if we have less time, I would def consider flying a couple of more times depending on where we're headed.

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 05:59 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Thailand

Ayutthaya Hotels
Bangkok Hotels
Cha-am Hotels
Chaweng Hotels
Chiang Mai Hotels
Chiang Rai Hotels
Chon Buri Hotels
Hat Yai Hotels
Hua Hin Hotels
Kanchanaburi Hotels
Kathu Hotels
Khao Lak Hotels
Khon Kaen Hotels
Ko Lanta Hotels
Ko Phangan Hotels
Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
Ko Tao Hotels
Krabi Hotels
Lampang Hotels
Loei Hotels
Mae Hong Son Hotels
Nakorn Ratchasima Hotels
Nakorn Si Thammarat Hotels
Narathiwat Hotels
Nonthaburi Hotels
Pai Hotels
Patong Hotels
Pattaya Hotels
Phangnga Hotels
Phetchaburi Hotels
Phitsanulok Hotels
Rawai Hotels
Rayong Hotels
Songkhla Hotels
Sukhothai Hotels
Surat Thani Hotels
Tak Hotels
Trang Hotels
Trat Hotels
Udon Thani Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.