Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Where to live in sydney young professional couple, Where to live in sydney young professional couple
miguel_
post May 20 2013, 07:33 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3858053
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi there,

My girlfriend (23 years old french student of sociology) and I (26 years old spanish engineer) are moving from Spain to Sydney in the next few weeks due to a relocation.

I will be working in Cronulla for at least one year and we are considering where to rent an appartment.

Our budget is around 500$/pw and we are doubting between a beachside house (at coogee, maroubra, bondi beach,even cronulla..) or if is worthwile to rent an appartment in the city centre (including also suburbs as newtown, paddington etc..)

She may get a part-time job at University and we think we will buy a car.We are quite sociable, and like different cultures,going to the movies, concerts, cafes and restaurant

Which area you people think would fit us the best?

Thanks you very much and if someone is willing to contact us, donīt hesitate!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
peggytee
post Jul 17 2013, 06:51 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 4059683

Hola Miguel y bienvenidos a Sydney!

There are lots of great places to stay in Sydney, but it really depends on what's most important to you - accessibility to good cafe culture, restaurants and shows, or living by the beach, or being close to work/study.

Beachside suburbs are great if you want to be near the water - I live in Coogee and love how close I am to the sea! A one bedder here will cost about $400-$500 a week, depending location and it's condition. There are shops and cafes aplenty in Coogee. Other eastern beachside 'burbs include Bondi, Clovelly, Bronte and Maroubra. If you're going to be working at Cronulla I suggest maybe Maroubra - it is closer. Bondi is very overdone, and Clovelly and Bronte can be expensive. As you are planning to have a car and driving to work, transport won't be an issue for you from Maroubra to Cronulla.

I wouldn't stay in the city centre - it's fine to go in on nights out but the CBD can get pretty dead even on weekends.

Newtown is closer-ish to Sydney Uni. Lots of cafes and shops here. Also cheaper than eastern suburbs. Surry Hills also good area for cafes, shops and going out. Paddington and Darlinghurst are great places to stay, but they are pricier and more upmarket than Newtown and Surry Hills.

You don't say which university your girlfriend is going to be studying at? If it's Sydney Uni, then Newtown is closer for her. If it's University of New South Wales, then the eastern suburbs will be closer.

If you want to check out public transport links, use this website: www.131500.com.au

Hope that helps! smile.gif

_____________________________-
Peggy Tee
Taking to the Open Road: Life on Four Continents
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
susee_lee
post Sep 5 2013, 01:37 AM
Post #3

Wanderer

Member No.: 4058893

Inner West seems good for Professional but If you don't care about pricing. Leichardt, Balmain are two cities where you find a good hose to live. Inner West has good restaurants , Friendly people , good cab system and public transport..
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 12:36 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Australia

Adelaide Hotels
Airlie Beach Hotels
Albany Hotels
Albury Hotels
Alice Springs Hotels
Apollo Bay Hotels
Ballarat Hotels
Bendigo Hotels
Brisbane Hotels
Broadbeach Hotels
Broome Hotels
Byron Bay Hotels
Cairns Hotels
Caloundra Hotels
Canberra Hotels
Coffs Harbour Hotels
Coolangatta Hotels
Darwin Hotels
Hervey Bay Hotels
Hobart Hotels
Launceston Hotels
Mackay Hotels
Main Beach Hotels
Margaret River Hotels
Maroochydore Hotels
Melbourne Hotels
Mooloolaba Hotels
Newcastle Hotels
Noosa Hotels
Palm Cove Hotels
Perth Hotels
Pokolbin Hotels
Port Douglas Hotels
Port Macquarie Hotels
Rockhampton Hotels
St Kilda Hotels
Surfers Paradise Hotels
Sydney Hotels
Toowoomba Hotels
Townsville Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.