Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Want to do a tour in Egypt with me?, Let's avoid the "single supplement" together!
thekatsmiaow
post Mar 18 2010, 04:18 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 851211
Nominate me as a Local Expert

I'm travelling to Egypt either mid-May or August 2010 and have decided to take a tour while I'm there. I'm not normally one for tours - I always travel alone and completely independently, but thought it might be a good idea to go a bit 'touristy' in Egypt.

I've found a few ideas online for tours etc, but they all charge a massive single supplement which I'd like to avoid!

Is anyone willing to share a mattress with me in order to see Egypt at the best possible price? I'm considering anywhere between 5 days and 15 days at the moment and am looking at a budget tour including the major sights as well as perhaps some 4WDing, diving, trekking, camel riding, camping, cruising. I'm quite interested in a lot of what Egypt has to offer!

I'm Australian, female, 29 years old. Of course I will want to know quite a bit about you before we shake hands, and I'm not at all interested in unnecessary attention at night if you know what I mean. I am more than happy to answer any questions about myself as well.

Please feel free to get in touch if this sounds like something that could work for you!

Peace.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
georgiaturkiye
post Mar 26 2010, 07:10 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 856121

[quote name='thekatsmiaow' date='Mar 18 2010, 04:18 PM' post='347311']
I'm travelling to Egypt either mid-May or August 2010 and have decided to take a tour while I'm there. I'm not normally one for tours - I always travel alone and completely independently, but thought it might be a good idea to go a bit 'touristy' in Egypt.

I've found a few ideas online for tours etc, but they all charge a massive single supplement which I'd like to avoid!

Is anyone willing to share a mattress with me in order to see Egypt at the best possible price? I'm considering anywhere between 5 days and 15 days at the moment and am looking at a budget tour including the major sights as well as perhaps some 4WDing, diving, trekking, camel riding, camping, cruising. I'm quite interested in a lot of what Egypt has to offer!

I'm Australian, female, 29 years old. Of course I will want to know quite a bit about you before we shake hands, and I'm not at all interested in unnecessary attention at night if you know what I mean. I am more than happy to answer any questions about myself as well.

Please feel free to get in touch if this sounds like something that could work for you!

Peace

Hi there!! first of all a little advice ...........forget August to visit Egypt!!! the temperatures will be up in the high 40's or maybe evenmore, it would be impossible, to see what you want and need to see and do...well that's my opinion for what it's worth. I'm also planning a trip to Egypt, either end April or May, both good months to visit. I'm a regular visitor to the country, but as yet have not visted Valley of the Kings, Abu Simbel and ventured down the Nile into Nubian terrirotry. I will arrive via Jordan as I live in Istanbul, so will travel overland from there, via Suriye and Jordan, fast ferry, insallah it's running....from Aqaba to Newibba, I'm now working on the plan. I am a retired British lady and travel independently all over the world, no way do I want like or will associate myself with the 'guys with flags'..........and all the tourists following him like lemings hyper.gif My trip will also be budget style, anyways, I hope the info regarding the weather helps you, if you wanna chat more you can find me on msn georgietravel@msn.com it's easier than. Take good care honey and happy travelling!!! flowers.png
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
greekcypriot
post Mar 26 2010, 04:22 PM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 273790

Hi,
I just want to add that even if the temperature is too high, with the right clothing it is ok.
Wear long skirts and blouses!! Yes long to protect you from the sun and heat. blink.gif
With the absence of humidity, even though it is hot, you can move around easily.
Have in mind that it is better do all sightseeing early in the morning. The earlier the better.
I remember when we were in Egypt we had to get up at 06 am to leave for a tour because it was considered the best hour. Just have this in mind, and I hope you find sb to share this trip with very soon. Have a look on the trip I had if you wish.

Read this:

--------------------
My LATEST BLOGS: Marmari, Vasa, and CYPRUS, the Unique Destination for Business and Holidays!!!

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. ~St. Augustine
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
georgiaturkiye
post Mar 27 2010, 07:50 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 856121

QUOTE(greekcypriot @ Mar 26 2010, 04:22 PM) *

Hi,
I just want to add that even if the temperature is too high, with the right clothing it is ok.
Wear long skirts and blouses!! Yes long to protect you from the sun and heat. blink.gif
With the absence of humidity, even though it is hot, you can move around easily.
Have in mind that it is better do all sightseeing early in the morning. The earlier the better.
I remember when we were in Egypt we had to get up at 06 am to leave for a tour because it was considered the best hour. Just have this in mind, and I hope you find sb to share this trip with very soon. Have a look on the trip I had if you wish.

Read this:

Hi there, good advice about the clothing!! for me, living in a Muslim country, albeit Turkiye is secular, my legs only get to see daylite or any kind when I'm on a 'hotel' type holiday, i.e. Sharm from which I've just returned, my head is covered all the time, as are my shoulders and the rest of my body. Less clothese doesn't mean less heat!! I'm doing my best to avoid any kind of tour operator, I'm looking for a guy with a boat (Felucca), and/or other means of travelling, but to be in a group, like lemings as I said before, is not for me!! I'll find what I want it will just take time.......take good care xx
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
greekcypriot
post Mar 27 2010, 08:12 AM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 273790

I believe when you get to the Nile you can find easily a guy with a felucca and enjoy sailing. I remember I also had that trip and the cruise in the Nile and it was just perfect.
It is true that if you manage doing things by yourself, I mean booking and arranging everything you really want to avoid travel agents. The same goes with me. I want to do everything on my own. Another way of saving money!!!! Enjoy your trips.
Popi

--------------------
My LATEST BLOGS: Marmari, Vasa, and CYPRUS, the Unique Destination for Business and Holidays!!!

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. ~St. Augustine
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jeremystravels
post Mar 29 2010, 06:36 AM
Post #6

Commuter

Member No.: 217489

I was in Egypt last August and it was quite manageable in terms of temperature. It was quite hot, but almost near zero humidity most days made it hardly noticeable. I've had significantly cooler days at home with 100% humidity feel worse. There are only a few places that get mind numbingly hot.. specifically the bazaar in Cairo and Queen Hatshepshut's Temple in Luxor.

As for the single supplement, any company worth its weight wont charge you that supplement if you are willing to share a room with someone else on the tour. Companies like GAP Adventures and Intrepid Tours do not make you pay single supplement if you're going alone - so my best advice would be if the company tries to charge you a single supplement even if you offer to share a room, run away fast! (For reference, I went on GAP's Egypt and Jordan Adventure and have a blog written about it on here if you want to look into it more).

--------------------
Local Expert for Ohio, USA
Next Countries: May 2010: Banff National Park - Canada
Planning RTW in 2010-2011 for Asia and South America - coverage here
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
norbertsz
post Apr 5 2010, 03:02 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 898391

QUOTE(thekatsmiaow @ Mar 18 2010, 04:18 PM) *

Peace.

Hi, I am in almost the same situation. I started to plan a trip for September for 3 weeks and I started looking at some tour companies. I really need a more custom tour because I want a more in depth look in the ancient egyptian history and monuments which is a hobby of mine. I didn't yet get any quotes but I suspect the price will be pretty steep.

(p.s. this site has some freaky emoticons whistle.png )
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 05:29 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.