Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Outdoor swimming pools in Scotland
kathryn77
post May 9 2008, 08:30 AM
Post #1

Vagabond

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 30044

So, it's been quite warm here in Scotland the last 2 days (23C woohoo!) When this happens, my local outdoor swimming pool in Gourock, Inverclyde, becomes very popular, usually resulting in some very red Scottish people by the end of the day!

It doesn't have to be sunny though - these pools are open (usually from May to September) whatever the weather!!

So, my question is, have you ever been brave enough and what were the weather conditions?? Or....have you even had the nerve to take a dip in the North Sea??

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post May 9 2008, 10:02 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Yes, but not in Europe! I went swimming in August near Whitehorse, in the Yukon and it was freeeeeeezing...it's way up north and even though it's summer, it's still cold folks.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starfish
post Mar 5 2009, 06:51 AM
Post #3

Wanderer

Group: Members
Member No.: 271364

Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, has an outdoor pool with heated seawater in it. During the folk festival, it hosts what it claims as 'The World's Only Aqua-Ceilidh', combining traditional music and dancing with swimming. It will also do a midnight swim one evening a week during the summer holiday, so you can float about in the warm water, looking at the stars.

As a diver I've braved the North Sea, mostly swaddled in several milimetres of neoprene, but as a kid I would swim in the sea all the time without ever thinking it was particularly cold. Perhaps having fun cancels out the feeling of cold!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Mar 12 2009, 03:53 PM
Post #4

Vagabond

QUOTE(starfish @ Mar 5 2009, 11:51 AM) *

Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, has an outdoor pool with heated seawater in it. During the folk festival, it hosts what it claims as 'The World's Only Aqua-Ceilidh', combining traditional music and dancing with swimming. It will also do a midnight swim one evening a week during the summer holiday, so you can float about in the warm water, looking at the stars.

Cool!! An aqua ceilidh!!! I hadn't heard of that before - how long have they been doing that? I lived in Aberdeen '95 - '99 and didn't hear about it - I love ceilidhs, so an aqua one must be brilliant!! Have you any photos??

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post May 9 2009, 02:02 PM
Post #5

Vagabond

There may have been hailstones here yesterday, but it's still a Scottish summer, and the Gourock outdoor pool opens it's doors again on Saturday 16th May!

Go on, you know you want to - if you're in the area that Saturday, the opening event is usually fun, with music & DJ's etc

Gourock Outdoor Pool

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
miffyanddougle
post May 26 2009, 06:03 PM
Post #6

Drifter

Group: Members
Member No.: 273729

I went to St Andrews last year for a week of university experience in June I think. I went in to the sea about three times, and it was usually at night, so as you can imagine; frightfully cold. I also lost the straps of my dress so that it ended up being a skirt. xP

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sianeth
post May 27 2009, 04:17 AM
Post #7

Jet Setter

Member No.: 60100

I've been in the Irish Sea many times... it was a bit regrettable!

In Australia I went swimming in this rock pool in the outback, and believe it or not it was freeeeeezing. Another woman that was in there told me that the rule of thumb was that you have to duck your head under three times before you can properly say you've been swimming somewhere... it nearly gave me brain freeze!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2014 - 07:43 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.