Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Thailand Query
jamesp01
post Jul 5 2007, 10:31 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 67167
Nominate me as a Local Expert

I'm going out to Thailand in a few weeks, where I'm going to be alone for a couple of weeks before a friend travels out to meet me. I'm a 26 year old male who has been to Thailand several times. Basically I'm after any suggestions for things to do for the first 2 weeks whilst I'll be alone. I have no problem meeting new people and enjoy my own company, as well as a good party. I've been to Koh Pha Ngan, Samui, Phi Phi, Bangkok, Kanchanaburi and Chiang Mai before, and am tempted to just go to one of the islands and chill out. Do you have any ideas of anywhere new to go? I was looking into Koh Chang as this isn't too far from Bangkok (when I return to meet my friend), but I've read reviews and it looks very over-developed, dirty and expensive in comparison to some of the others.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
LadyTonholiday
post Jul 5 2007, 12:23 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 46978

Chang is over developed you are right. It is a Thai resort as opposed to your overdeveloped Phuket style or Phi Phi resort hence it hets some reviews of being dirty etc. So nice people but perhaps not the best of scenes. Koh Lanta is miles away on the asouth west coast but if you are looking for quiet chilled and slightly backpacker getaway then this is one of the few places left. Great scuba diving etc. If you are looking for a base for a number of places then I suggest Krabi Province and Aonang, you got boats to all the major islands if you wanna hop about, flights from Bangkok are cheap and above all you can cut yourself off to a certain extent by taking a 15 min boat ride from Ao nang beach to Railay Beach. It is locked in by sea on one side and archepeligos the other. Offers uber expensive and uber cheap huts depending on which part of the beach you choose. Last boats from the beach to Aonang are at 17.45 in the evening so it gets nice and chilled after that.
Hope this helps.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jul 5 2007, 12:37 PM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

I would second the notion of the Krabi area. You can stay on Lanta and chill or hop a boat or two and check out the rest of the area which is really accessible.

Ao Nang, Ao Phra Nang and Railay (which is only a 10 minute boat ride from Ao Nang) are really fun and there's some really good climbing as well as a fun scene going on.

You can fly or opt to take a cheap overnight train ride from BKK to Trang and hop a bus the rest of the way. A couple of weeks gives you plenty of time to travel back and forth and have a great time in between!

Too bad b/c Chang used to be nice and relaxing. And clean. hmm.png

Have a great time! yes.gif

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Jul 7 2007, 08:32 AM
Post #4

Navigator

Member No.: 98

Hi. I was at Koh Chang just under a year ago and although it clearly has more on it than it once had, I thought it was still quite nice and not too overdeveloped like some other places. I wouldn't rule it out. I definitely would like to get back there. I didn't find it at all dirty. (I hope it hasn't changed so much in 1 year!! Maybe it has???).

I think comparing it to the list of other places you have been to, you'd find it a bit quieter and less over done than many of them.

2 weeks however is a long time and so you could go just about anyway.

Koh Kood seems to be the next in line after Koh Chang towards Cambodia to be developed and things are happening there - so you could check that out.

Otherwise - Well i could write a book in answer to your question, so I hope other people keep the suggestions coming in.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Jul 8 2007, 02:07 AM
Post #5

Navigator

Perhaps you could give us more info on what you liked about Thailand last time, or what you want to do or see, or how much money you want to spend or something to narrow things down.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jul 8 2007, 10:03 AM
Post #6

Rolling Stone

I wouldn't rule it out. I definitely would like to get back there. I didn't find it at all dirty. (I hope it hasn't changed so much in 1 year!! Maybe it has???).

Oh that's so good to know. My first trip over I spent 3 months there and I loved it. I loved the people and, well, everything about it. I had a nice little bungalow at the end of white sand beach and it was a little slice of heaven for me. And Lonely Goose, who's mate died and he started hanging out with the ducks. And my dogs. Sorry, reminiscing......

If what Paul says is true, I wouldn't rule out Koh Chang.

Lanta is a nice choice too tho and if you want to explore you will have more to see and do in the Krabi area, or just peace and quiet if that's what you're looking for. It makes for a wonderful mix of both. Sure it's a little farther, but a day's travel is not much and totally worth it. There is all kinds of accommodation there as well from rather cheap to very expensive.

OR, Koh Jum and Koh Kradan.

Koh Jum is a really nice island still using oil lamps and candles as they have no electricity and it seems that's just the way they like it. It's a really chilled place, and quiet too. Some people would never go, others would welcome the idea. You can hop a boat from Krabi to there.

Koh Kradan is gorgeous and quiet. It's part of Hat Chao Mai National Park. It's definitely worth a look. You can also get there easily from Krabi.

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Jul 8 2007, 11:57 PM
Post #7

Navigator

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entri...18620/tpod.html

Have a look at that. Sounds like a nice place to go.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jul 9 2007, 11:55 AM
Post #8

Rolling Stone

Good suggestion Paul, I've heard of Koh LaoYa from Thai friends actually. It does seem very nice.

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 01:04 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Thailand

Ayutthaya Hotels
Bangkok Hotels
Cha-am Hotels
Chaweng Hotels
Chiang Mai Hotels
Chiang Rai Hotels
Chon Buri Hotels
Hat Yai Hotels
Hua Hin Hotels
Kanchanaburi Hotels
Kathu Hotels
Khao Lak Hotels
Khon Kaen Hotels
Ko Lanta Hotels
Ko Phangan Hotels
Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
Ko Tao Hotels
Krabi Hotels
Lampang Hotels
Loei Hotels
Mae Hong Son Hotels
Nakorn Ratchasima Hotels
Nakorn Si Thammarat Hotels
Narathiwat Hotels
Nonthaburi Hotels
Pai Hotels
Patong Hotels
Pattaya Hotels
Phangnga Hotels
Phetchaburi Hotels
Phitsanulok Hotels
Rawai Hotels
Rayong Hotels
Songkhla Hotels
Sukhothai Hotels
Surat Thani Hotels
Tak Hotels
Trang Hotels
Trat Hotels
Udon Thani Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.