Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Looking for travel mates
okapi_j
post Aug 3 2009, 02:02 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 292599
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi,

Voyaging to Rio on 3rd September to start journey across South America. Looking to meet folk who might be going my way! I am keen to see wildlife, sample local food and experience lots of new cultures, not so into beach scenes or thrill seeking.

Give me a shout if you want to meet up, or alternatively if you think you can suggest a good hostel in Rio where I'll be able to find other independent travellers.

Thanks for your help!

Jo
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Aug 3 2009, 06:39 PM
Post #2

Vagabond

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 30044

Hi Jo smile.gif

Stone of a Beach & Mellow Yellow are the biggest hostels in Rio, and usually busy no matter what the season if you want to meet people.

They are both fairly similar - lots of different sized rooms ranging from doubles to 32 bed dorms! My advice is to go for a dorm in the middle sizes. The largest dorm room in SoaB gets really hot and in the bigger dorms in MY, I heard reports of bed bugs.

In SoaB all the rooms are named after beaches in Brazil. Macumba is the biggest room with most beds. Itacoatiara has a fan and no air con and is next to the breakfast lift which is noisy if you are a light sleeper. Grumari is pretty good, as although it has lots of beds which makes it cheaper, it's in an L shape, so it's almost like 2 rooms in one. Prainha only has 6 beds, and a balcony too - nice room. There's also a female only dorm (Piratininga) and ohers too. (I stayed in most of them, as I lived there for 5 months while working in the rooftop bar in case you're wondering how I know this!)

Both hostels have hot tubs - the one in MY is on the ground floor, the one in SoaB is in the rooftop bar. You'll meet lots of independent travellers in either :-) At busy times you will have to book in advance though.

Sampling local food - look out for the restaurants that advertise food by the kilo! You get your plate, help yourself, they weigh it, and you pay whatever it weighs! It's great! The most common Brazilian cuisine is rice & beans - together. You'll see this in any of the kilo restaurants - the beans are black in a black sauce. Add to rice, and choose your meat!

Of course there are also the chusscarias - the Brazilian BBQ restaurants if you like meat. There's one near the SoaB hostel (if you ask reception they'll give you directions) I only went once to experience it, and it was good but I lived on rice & beans for 5 months, as I loved it and it was free as part of my working deal most of the time.

I'm so jealous you're going to Rio!!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
okapi_j
post Aug 7 2009, 10:44 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 292599
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Wow, thanks for all the info!

How long would you recommend I spend in Rio? I'm on a tiny budget so bit worried that it is going to be too expensive to do much there. What should I definitely not miss?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st August 2014 - 05:34 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Brazil

Angra Dos Reis Hotels
Aracaju Hotels
Arraial d'Ajuda Hotels
Balneario Camboriu Hotels
Barueri Hotels
Belem Hotels
Belo Horizonte Hotels
Brasilia Hotels
Buzios Hotels
Campinas Hotels
Campo Grande Hotels
Curitiba Hotels
Florianopolis Hotels
Fortaleza Hotels
Foz de Iguacu Hotels
Goiania Hotels
Guaruja Hotels
Guarulhos Hotels
Jericoacoara Hotels
Joao Pessoa Hotels
Joinville Hotels
Londrina Hotels
Macae Hotels
Maceio Hotels
Manaus Hotels
Morro de Sao Paulo Hotels
Natal Hotels
Paraty Hotels
Porto Alegre Hotels
Porto Seguro Hotels
Porto de Galinhas Hotels
Praia do Forte Hotels
Recife Hotels
Ribeirao Preto Hotels
Rio de Janeiro Hotels
Salvador Hotels
Sao Jose Dos Campos Hotels
Sao Paulo Hotels
Trancoso Hotels
Vitoria Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.