Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Adventuring in Alaska, Got some questions
mynetdude
post Dec 23 2010, 02:56 AM
Post #1

Voyager

Group: Members
Member No.: 245111

I'd like to make this a pretty active discussion with those who have been or with those who live in Alaska or know it quite well.

I may not be a sporty outdoorsy guy, I do like some outdoors, believe me I will go crazy cooped up inside all day although I like some museums (art museums are kinda boring to me), native/cultural museums are are one level better than art museums (and honestly there are some art I do like to look at).

I like museums that involve technology or history of how the area came to be or the police museums, but anyway my point is I like a little bit of everything. I don't surf, don't care to surf (I don't know if there's any surfing in that pacific ocean that far north even in the summertime) I like kayaking a bit, boating, swimming (if its ever warm enough there?)

I've never seen a Moose, never seen a bear up close (although I have NO problem respecting its territory so I'm not interested in running up to it haha). I may not be much of a native fanatic, I still like to learn the bits and pieces about them and Alaska has quite a bit of native diversity so I am definitely curious about that.

I am going to open up with some questions but just so you have an idea of what my goals are, I have from June until October (or sooner/later depending on how cold it gets) so time is not an issue I am just adventuring whatever comes my way.

There seems to be many communities, I am going to guess some of them are not geared up towards tourism and there is no point in visiting those communities? I'd like to visit the inside passage and from the looks of it it seems like its doable in the entire 4-5 months although getting around is going to be a question I'd have to challenge.

I know my limits, I know when I need to rest or need a change, etc. Walking is one of my biggest challenges even though I can walk I still have to rely heavily on ground transportation and/or buy a car, etc. I honestly don't want to buy a car, too much responsibility in that respect.

I have gone to the travelalaska.com website, there isn't a lot of information on some of the smaller communities like Metlatlaka yet by googling it I found their webpage and they had a lot of information to provide on the other hand I tried to find information about Hydraburg I found a blog, but that's it nothing special.

I am not just out to seek out only the tourist traps, I'm out to see what there is to see (if that's possible/realistic). I can work, in fact I would rather volunteer than work as I have no need for paid employment as I am more than financially supported I just can't do walking all day or manual labor.

Oh, I managed to find two hostels in Ketchikan! (and I wouldn't "call" them hostels, but they are what they are). I know that finding hostels is going to be quite a challenge until getting into the bigger communities/cities where there's at least 4 or so. The only downside to volunteering for a bed is that when I'm ready to move on I'd just have to drop them even if its for a short time and I am not sure that is something they would like.

Hydraburg is quite a ways from other communities, so frankly I'd have to plan that as a day visit and I'd really like to find someone who knows the inside passage like the back of their hands and tell me if certain places are worth going to or even reachable, etc.

I look forward to seeing some replies in the next few months, in the meantime I'm going to Hawaii in 6 weeks to have fun there before my serious vagabond adventure starts!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 07:43 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.