Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Columbo do or Columbo don't? - Sri Lanka travel question
spankles79
post Sep 22 2010, 06:34 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1339611

We are landing in Columbo but I have heard this is not a favourable place to stay.. does anyone have any recommendations for hotels in the area or around?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Sep 25 2010, 08:46 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 124

I stayed in the Colombo YMCA, it was gentlemanly, charming, actually it was perfect, though I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for hotel-style accommodation.

Enjoy Sri Lanka, it's amazing..

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jenniel
post Oct 1 2010, 02:19 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 273401

The airport is about 1 hour from Colombo depending on the traffic, there is a rail link into the city from the airport, we stayed in Hikkadawu and our guest house sent a taxi to pick us up.Depending where you are going trains and buses are pretty frequent,we use trip adviser to pick our accomadation and have not been disappointed.Have a fabulous time it's a beautiful country.Dont forget to change a little cash in the airport..
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
spankles79
post Oct 4 2010, 06:38 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 1339611

QUOTE(jenniel @ Oct 1 2010, 02:19 PM) *

The airport is about 1 hour from Colombo depending on the traffic, there is a rail link into the city from the airport, we stayed in Hikkadawu and our guest house sent a taxi to pick us up.Depending where you are going trains and buses are pretty frequent,we use trip adviser to pick our accomadation and have not been disappointed.Have a fabulous time it's a beautiful country.Dont forget to change a little cash in the airport..

Thank you Jenniel!!... now we have a starting point ohmy.gif)... getting very excited now!.. xx
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jeroenandlinda
post Oct 4 2010, 10:01 AM
Post #5

Drifter

Member No.: 844971

I've been there many years ago, the city wasn't that impressive, the inlands are way more attractive i think. I Stayed at the Hilton, sounds expensive but actually wasn't at all. A good place to recover from your flight, and then head out into the Jungle..

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sjfevans
post Oct 18 2010, 04:06 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 619881

QUOTE(spankles79 @ Sep 22 2010, 06:34 AM) *

We are landing in Columbo but I have heard this is not a favourable place to stay.. does anyone have any recommendations for hotels in the area or around?

Not alot to do in Colombo although it is good for a) shopping for clothes (odels, house of fashion, barefoot), and b) the recently renovated National Museum. There is a wide array of accommodation types from 5 star, boutique hotels and guest houses all of which are good value compared to other Asian cities. If you are headed north to Kandy, the hills or the cultural triangle, better to stay near the airport eg the Beach hotel at Negombo and the Wallawwa are both good.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
drfumblefinger
post Nov 6 2010, 01:20 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 716221

[font=Arial]Colombo is fine to visit a day or at most two. I'm not sure where you're flying from but it's a good place to get over your jet lag. If you would like further info I went into quite a lot of detail about Colombo in my blog post. Give it a look.
http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entri...01570/tpod.html
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 06:42 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Sri Lanka

Ahangama Hotels
Ahungalla Hotels
Aluthgama Hotels
Anuradhapura Hotels
Bandarawela Hotels
Belihuloya Hotels
Bentota Hotels
Beruwela Hotels
Buttala Hotels
Colombo Hotels
Dambulla Hotels
Deniyaya Hotels
Dikwella Hotels
Ella Hotels
Galle Hotels
Habarana Hotels
Haputale Hotels
Hikkaduwa Hotels
Induruwa Hotels
Jaffna Hotels
Kalutara Hotels
Kandalama Hotels
Kandy Hotels
Kitulgala Hotels
Kosgoda Hotels
Marawila Hotels
Matara Hotels
Mount Lavinia Hotels
Negombo Hotels
Nuwara Eliya Hotels
Polonnaruwa Hotels
Pottuvil Hotels
Sigiriya Hotels
Tangalla Hotels
Tissamaharama Hotels
Unawatuna Hotels
Wadduwa Hotels
Waikkal Hotels
Weligama Hotels
Yatiyana Minuwangoda Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.