Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Torres del Paine and the monero glacier, traveling overland
laine
post Dec 21 2008, 12:38 PM
Post #1

Drifter

Group: Members
Member No.: 20342
Nominate me as a Local Expert

hey,
i am in SA for a while and wanted to get down to Torres del paine and then across to the Monero glacier. I dont think i can afford to fly, are there buses that go down that way? Also does any one know any tours that do a trip around torres del paine, or is it easy to explore on your own? I was thinking it may be easyer to set up base in argentina near the monero glacier and head over to TDP from there. Any suggestions helpful.

Thanks, Laine.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Dec 21 2008, 02:08 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

There are definitely a network of buses that travel all over that specific region. Do you mean Moreno Glacier? I think so.... from my experience bus transportation around SA is pretty good and affordable too. You should be able to get from A to B no problem. Puerto Natales is the closest city to the park, about 3 hours drive. You should be able to arrange a bus easily from the glaciers to TDP. It's a very commonly traveled route.

"The main pickup and drop-off points in the park are at Laguna Amarga, the Hielos Patagónicos catamaran launch at Pudeto and at the park headquarters. You can coordinate your drop off in the park with the catamaran schedule, which leaves Pudeto for Lago Pehoé (one-way/round-trip per person US$18/32) at 9:30am, noon and 6pm December to mid-March, noon and 6pm in late March and November, and at noon only in September, October and April. Another launch plies Lago Grey between Hostería Lago Grey and Refugio Lago Grey (US$30 one-way, 1½ to two hours), a couple of times daily; contact the hostería for the current schedule. "

HERE are a few reviews of the park from TripAdvisor.

Torres del Paine is huge and depending on what type of traveler you are, you might benefit from a tour. I think if you're exploring on your own you need to pin point what you want to see and do and make a pretty good plan before you head out.

If I had the time, I would personally explore on my own via hiking and camping. I'd get a good guide to hiking/walking Torres Del Paine and take some essential camping gear (I would be surprised if you can't rent some basic gear in or near the park, or take your own) Apparently the best parts of TDP are accessed by foot, but you can also cycle around the park, which sounds pretty awesome.

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 12:50 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Chile

Algarrobo Hotels
Ancud Hotels
Antofagasta Hotels
Arica Hotels
Calama Hotels
Castro Hotels
Chillan Hotels
Concepcion Hotels
Concon Hotels
Copiapo Hotels
Coquimbo Hotels
Coyhaique Hotels
Curico Hotels
Frutillar Hotels
Hanga Roa Hotels
Iquique Hotels
La Serena Hotels
Las Condes Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Osorno Hotels
Pichilemu Hotels
Pisco Elqui Hotels
Pucon Hotels
Puerto Montt Hotels
Puerto Natales Hotels
Puerto Octay Hotels
Puerto Varas Hotels
Punta Arenas Hotels
Putre Hotels
Puyehue Hotels
San Pedro de Atacama Hotels
Santa Cruz Hotels
Santiago Hotels
Talca Hotels
Temuco Hotels
Torres del Paine Hotels
Valdivia Hotels
Valparaiso Hotels
Villarrica Hotels
Vina del Mar Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.