Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Afraid of Los Angeles Weather!, What should I expect?
sallynla
post Jan 19 2010, 05:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 677221
Nominate me as a Local Expert

I am concerned about flying to LAX tomorrow (January 20) because of the high winds & rains throughout the region. How can I find out truthful information about turbulence in the air and what to expect during my flight? I'm very fearful on bumpy flights and would rather cancel than go through that. And I just don't trust the airline to tell me the truth.

Sally
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Jan 19 2010, 07:12 PM
Post #2

Vagabond

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 30044

Hi Sally,

Welcome to the forums smile.gif

I used to be scared of flying (though never let it stop me!) until I read "Flying without Fear" by Captain Keith Godfrey. It's fab, and at first I'd take it on flights with me and have it in the seat pocket - now it has a home on my bookshelf gathering dust!

He goes through every single fear, and yeah, you can skip over many, but then you find your own.

The best tip I got regarding bumpy flights (aka turbulence) from the book was this: tighten your seat belt as tightly (but as comfortably) as you can. Put your head back in the seat, shut your eyes, and let your head rock to the movements of the plane, but pretend you're on a bus! Sounds crazy, but it worked for me!

Hope the flight goes well and that this tip helps if it is rocky smile.gif

Also remember that the pilots and the planes are put through rigorous training to deal with anything, and will never deliberately fly into a storm. It's not the best when the pilots don't warn you or explain what's going on up there if turbulence is experienced, but if you think about it like driving across a bridge in high winds in your own car, you don't automatically say to the passengers about how windy it is while you're controlling it - to pilots, it's that same second nature when they're in their 'vehicles'

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kitkatgo
post Jan 20 2010, 12:43 PM
Post #3

Navigator

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13816

Hopefully you are already on your flight. The weather is pretty much never an issue here. While we had a pretty big storm yesterday, I wouldn't let it stop me from flying. Today the weather is fine (at least where I am). LAX is one of the busiest airports and they do a good job.

Don't worry (too much). Have a drink and keep yourself busy. The flight itself will be above any weather anyway.

Let us know how it goes!

--------------------
~Kit
California Local Expert

Visit my travel blogs:
http://www.travelpod.com/members/kitkatgo
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 10:30 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.