Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Srebrenica Killers Convicted
wakingdream
post Apr 10 2007, 11:43 AM
Post #1

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

A Serbian court has tried and convicted 4 people for war crimes against Bosnian muslims that were gunned down near Srebrenica in 1995.

It was the first court rulling related to the to the slaying of up to 8,000 boys and men in the ending months of the '92-'95 war in Bosnia. It has been said that the war was "Europe's worst atrocity since WWII".

Trials were not possible before 2000, but since Milosevic has been booted to the curb, things are starting to happen and people wonder if this is the test of Serb judiciary's ability to deal with war crimes. Hey, at least this has gone to trial and hopefully will lead the way to convictions against other people who have committed atrocities during the war.

The murders were seen in a video that one of the Serbian paramilitary group, a member of 'The Scorpians', took while they assassinated theinnocent people. The video had been shown previously at Milosevic's trial.

It's about time, to say the least.

Check out the BBC article.

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Paul
post Jun 1 2007, 05:40 AM
Post #2

Navigator

Group: Members
Member No.: 98
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Interesting.

No comment, do not know.

Good reminder that it is very hard to get a full picture of what happens in the world, but easy to make judgements. Something I am certainly guilty of.

Clearly either way, the whole fighting and killing people and chopping their heads off and bombing them, is not a very constructive thing to do. Yet, I am seeing it on the TV more and more each night.
HELLO world. Stop and take a deep breath and think again. You are going the wrong way.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jun 1 2007, 07:47 AM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

I don’t really see the point in posting news such as this on a tourism site,

Well, the site is about tourism, yes, but with tourism comes knowledge about world. World news is important and something I believe alot of people are intereested in. I am aware that media puts there own spin on things and news articles are definitely not the be all and end all. I in no way whatsoever hold the media or news to be gospel, but it is a fact, not an opinion, that these people were convicted. It's just a starting point for discussion.

The news posted is meant to generate a discussion and see what peoples thoughts are. I come from a partly Serbian family as well and I'm first generation Canadian. My dad lived alot of his life in Serbia so I feel I do know a little bit about the country and history.

The Serbs are certainly not the only ones who committed crimes, you're right. I based this post on an article I read. Thanks for contributing.

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Jun 1 2007, 08:11 AM
Post #4

Navigator

Ha ha - don't you two Serbs start fighting each other. Both of you have brought up some really interesting info. So please be polite and nice to each other. I understand it is a pretty emotional issue though. If you hadn't posted it here I wouldn't have learnt all the stuff I so far have. party.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jun 1 2007, 08:24 AM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

Ha ha - don't you two Serbs start fighting each other.

laugh.gif Nah, no fighting. It's a sensitive topic for sure.

You should hear the heated discussions when my family gets together! My dad is actually ethnic Hungarian and then there are a few Sebs in our family as well. I'm a bit of a Heinz 57 eastern Euro combo actually.

Bottom line, no matter who's doing it, killing is wrong. I found this article interesting b/c it's been so long since the crimes were committed but no one ever said the court process was fast!

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Jun 1 2007, 08:36 AM
Post #6

Navigator

It hasn't been that long. Remember that MAYBE this year some of the remaining Khmer Rouge MAY go to trial for killing 25% of the Cambodian population.

In my opinion (and I know I have too many of them) - a trial won't bring the dead people back, nor will it stop the nightmares of those alive. The enormous sums of money spent on smart arse UN lawyers chasing after some old men could be far batter utilised in such a poor country.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jun 1 2007, 09:04 AM
Post #7

Rolling Stone

It hasn't been that long. Remember that MAYBE this year some of the remaining Khmer Rouge MAY go to trial for killing 25% of the Cambodian population.

Yeah, that's true. You're right. It just seems like forever ago when my mom went over during the war. She's a nurse and helped out at two different hospitals. being that the majority of our family is there and many were fighting in the war.

I know what you mean about the trials not bringing people back and I totally agree. On the other hand, perhaps it's better then doing nothing at all? Surely there are better ways to spend the money but if it wasn't used on the trials I'm not sure it would ever get to the poor anyway.....

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Jun 1 2007, 09:15 AM
Post #8

Navigator

WOW! That was brave of your mum.

You are right about the money certainly wouldn't be going to the people anyway. SHOULD, But wouldn't.

But in Cambodia the salaries of the foreign judges and lawyers is just so amazingly above the normal people that it seems rather disgusting.

Further to that, Asia unlike Europe, doesn't have as part of their concept of justice "an eye for an eye". Or not to the same extent as Africa and Europe. That concept came from the Sumerians as far as I know. I think to some extent the UN is imposing some of their own foreign concept of justice on a people that may rather just live and let live. There certainly are Cambodians that want a trial, but I suspect it isn't a majority, who probably just want to get on with life and let the old Khmer Rouge people die off quietly.

That same thinking probably doesn't apply to Sebia/Bosnia, and that war was in much more recent history. So I have gone off topic. But hopefully interesting anyway.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jun 1 2007, 09:57 AM
Post #9

Rolling Stone

WOW! That was brave of your mum

Yup, she's a Brave Betty. We were all so worried for her, but understood why she went back. She never denounced her citizenship when she moved to Canada so we were extra worried b/c we had heard of other' in similar situations who were forced to stay in the country.

It all worked out and she came home but the time spent there definitely took it's tole. One of my older cousins was fighitng in the war back then but managed, along with a few others, to escape fleeing across the border into Hungary with his wife and small daughter. He eventually entered Canada on refugee status and they lived with us until they got on their feet.

There certainly are Cambodians that want a trial, but I suspect it isn't a majority, who probably just want to get on with life and let the old Khmer Rouge people die off quietly.

Yes, that's the impression I've gotten through our travels in Cambodia. With only one person awaiting trial now, it seems, well, I can't even think of a word, pointless isn't exactly it...
I think you're bang on about the 'eye for an eye' mentality. Actually, that's one (of many) things I really like about Asians. That idea of revenge is not there like you see it in other parts of the world.

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jun 1 2007, 02:46 PM
Post #10

Rolling Stone

Hey, no worries. Most topics are light and fun and some are a little more serious. The world isn't always the nicest place, as I'm sure you know.

I would absolutely agree with you that many different people from different regions committed crimes during that time, certainly not just the Serbians.

As about atrocities globally they are relatively known to me, with some members of my family working for the UNHCR,

That sounds pretty cool. I've always admired folks who work for UNHCR and other such organizations. yes.gif

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
His Royal Monkeyness
post Jun 1 2007, 05:15 PM
Post #11

Expeditionist

Member No.: 580

QUOTE(fabiob @ Jun 1 2007, 03:35 AM) *

It’s about time you open your eyes and realize that BBC might not be the only and ultimate source of truth.

you should try being in the U.S. talk about biased news. all we get is sensationalized stories of happenings in the usa and the american perspective on iraq. there's generally nothing on world news, unless it's major. the BBC at least gives info on various countries, though it may be from a western perspective. it's sad when news of the latest american idol or lindsay lohan takes precedence over situations like darfur. the media here seems designed to keep us ignorant and stupid (hence our president).

thanks for the serbian perspective on the war. i believe all sides of a story should be presented. i visited sarajevo and their stories made me sympathetic to what they went through. like susie said, killing is wrong, and i think both sides are guilty of some terrible crimes.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
isaisa
post Sep 22 2009, 03:58 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 343201

Sreberenica massgrave it is nice to see just dont stop on some massgrave bosnia is full of it

Sarajevo Tourist Sights: Bascarsija: Bascarsija is the heart of old Sarajevo, offering glimpse in to Ottoman Sarajevo.. Bazaar of Sarajevo (Gazi Husrev Begov Bezistan): Popular Sarajevo’s covered bazaar, built in 16th century. Rectangular in shape with long passage similar to ones found in Arabic places.. Bridges of Sarajevo : Sarajevos Bridges connect the city accroess River Miljacka. The oldest bridge is Kozja Cuprija. Probably the most famous bridge is Latinska Cuprija - the place where Austro-Hungarian Archduke Franz Ferdinand was executed.. Careva Dzamija (Emperor’s Mosque): Built in 15th century - one of the most beautiful buildings in the City. City Hall (Vijecnica): Sarajevo’s city hall, locally called “Vijecnica” is a symbol of Sarajevo, built in 19th century in pseudo-Moorish style - currently under reconstruction.. Franjevacka Crkva Sv Ante Padovanskog (Franciscan Church): Church built in neo gothic style, serving local Catholic community. Gazi Husrev-begova Dzamija (Gazi Husrev Bey’s Mosque): The most important mosque in Bosnia. Built in 16th century - large an beautiful building - the pride of Sarajevo. Old Orthodox Church (Stara Pravoslavna Crkva): Unusual building from 16th century, serving local Orthodox community. Synagogue - Ashkenazi Synagogue - built in 1902 and serving Sarajevo’s Jewish community - currently under reconstruction. Sebilj (Fountain): Public fountain built in pseudo Moorish style - the symbol of Sarajevo.

My Webpage My Webpage My Webpage My Webpage
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
drst07
post Oct 20 2009, 03:47 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 445671

If somebody really wants to know background of war, and who is who, Serbian and Balkan history, I suggest to read excellent article written by no Serbs:

History of Jihad aginist the Serbs

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sandzakmoj
post Jan 5 2011, 10:40 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 1605071

People who were in war and killed innocent people should be convicted and have the death penalty. whether your muslim or christian; its not right! Im pretty sure that no religion does not say KILL INNOCENT PEOPLE! thats crazy bad! I mean, Im inhighschool only but people are soo rude and stereotypical! You know how many times i hear the dumbest stuff ever. People saying oh well they deserved to die or that it was because of their religion! If you participated in the Srebrenica Genocide and killed millions of people, just based on there religion, then you deserve to go to jail and rot in hell! I HATE war! Its pointless; you just get innocent people involved! and people die, families starve, soldiers out there fighting for something that was important in the beginning now became pointlesss and ridicolous! MANY PEOPLE LOST THEIR LIVES BECAUSE OF WHAT,? NOTHING SOME STUPID IDIOTS THINKING THAT ONE RELIGION SHOULD BE EXECUTED! IF you want war, play some dumb sill childs game instead of fighting over something so dumb and samll that its not even worth it in the beginning or in the ending! Well thank you for reading this and if i offended you im sorry, the truth hurts and lifes gonna be hard sometimes but you just got to learn how to deal with it!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 12:36 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.