Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Plaza Suites Hotel and Resort, New Orleans, Bait and switch
bjinnm
post Jul 20 2010, 11:55 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1164511

We decided to stay at Plaza Suites Hotel and Resort, New Orleans on the recommendation of a friend. I am originally from New Orleans and knew exactly where the hotel was located and was concerned about the parking situation. I called the hotel directly last February and spoke to the manager who assured me there was parking but told me that since it was a special event weekend the cost of the room was much higher. The fact that the special event was for 3 days and the other 4 days were not special didn't change the price of the last 4 days. I accepted this, paid $250/night for seven nights (ahead of time and no cancellations) and he added $15 a day for off street-parking. We got to the hotel and were told that, not only was there no parking, there hadn't been for over a year (we made reservations in February of 2010 for July, 2010) and the deskclerk stated we couldn't have paid for parking. After a fifteen minute arguement where I showed him the room cost and asked just what did he think the difference was, he agreed that I had paid for parking, but that was too bad, there was none and hadn't been any when I paid! Maybe I would get my money back, he said, but the manager would not be in for three days. I could park on the street or down the block at $25 for 10 hours. My husband was not pleased to have to get up at 5 AM the next morning to move the car since the time had expired. Both the web site and the information book in the room states there is parking. The room itself needed maintenance. There was no shower head in my son's bathroom and nothing could be done there for three days either. The huge stain on the carpet was either rain or vomit, we never figured out which, the chain on the fan continually broke, necessitating my 60+ husband getting up on a table to fix it, the elevator service was iffy and the walls so thin that not only did we smell our neighbors' smoking, we could hear them argue until 4 AM and their music was so loud, we thought there was piped in music in our suite and had the deskclerk up to ty to figure out how to turn it off! Then on Sunday the staff turned rap on very loudly in the atrium and proceeded to leave! According to the hotel information book in our room part of our charges ($4/day) was for phone service and in room wifi. The phones were not plugged in and the wifi signal was too weak to connect. The refrigerator was not turned on before we got there so when we went to refrigerate leftovers, it took hours for it to cool down. The mattresses felt like they were left-over futons and the towels were so skimpy that they could have come from a dorm! All this for $250 a night! We decided to leave after three days and find other accommodations and the manager said no refund on the room (we are supposed to get our prepaid parking credited) because it is a time-share and we had the week. Excuse me, but then why is it called a hotel-resort and why can people rent by the day! No compensation from the hotel for all the extra parking costs we incurred! We are seasoned travelers who have gone to all 50 states and to five of the seven continents. We have rented self-catering apartments many times but knew that was what we were getting. We didn't even get the garbage emptied the one day our room was cleaned. We now are out over $1000 plus what we are paying at the new hotel, but are so delighted we are out of that place that we are willing to take the loss. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Jul 20 2010, 01:25 PM
Post #2

Tripper

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 893

Sorry to hear you had such an unpleasant experience. Is the Plaza Suites not a chain hotel? If so, I would take much of what you've written here and send an official complaint to the head company office. Hopefully that might result in some action/compensation.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bjinnm
post Jul 20 2010, 03:17 PM
Post #3

As far as I can tell, it's not a chain, just two places in New Orleans. Thanks for the support. I really appreciate it.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Jul 20 2010, 06:09 PM
Post #4

Tripper

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 893

Checking the Plaza website, I see they are a member of the RCI timeshare group. You might look into complaining through them. On the other hand, I would write a letter to the management/owner of the hotels explaining your situation with the indication that you are considering posting your experience to travel websites such as TP, TripAdvisor, TravBuddy...etc.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bjinnm
post Jul 20 2010, 07:40 PM
Post #5

I did that last week, overnight mail and signature required, and have been totally ignored. I have therefore posted a note here, reviews on several web sites, notified my credit card company, the New Orleans Better Business Bureau, and the Attorney General Consumer Fraud division in Louisiana. Anything else you can think of would be appreciated.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bjinnm
post Jul 20 2010, 07:51 PM
Post #6

I did just look at the RCI timeshare site and you must be a member of that group to do a review. Since we don't own a timeshare in this place, I don't think I can review it there. Thanks for the idea.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 02:15 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.