Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Snowboarding in Alberta
andrea
post Nov 25 2006, 03:08 PM
Post #1

Globetrotter

Group: Members
Member No.: 2
Nominate me as a Local Expert

We are thinking about going out to Edmonton during Xmas break to see my grandma. Since we're out there, we also thought we should get in some snowboarding. We'll only have a few days (maybe 3) to spend snowboarding. Where would be a great place to go to hit the mountains not TOO far from Edmonton?

Thanks!
Andrea
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
whereshegoes
post Nov 25 2006, 04:08 PM
Post #2

Journeyer

Member No.: 5

Jasper! It is only about 3 hours away and it is so loaded with natural beauty. It is not as tourist or expensive as Banff. Yay! So you will be dropping in for a visit at Chez Carmella?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
andrea
post Nov 25 2006, 05:40 PM
Post #3

Globetrotter

We haven't set anything in stone yet but will let you know for sure if we're in your neck of the woods!

Andrea
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Jessica_CDN
post Nov 28 2006, 07:46 AM
Post #4

Commuter

Member No.: 519

Hey Carm,

Are the runs really challenging in Jasper, or are there some beginner ones as well?? I'm interested in trying snowboarding, but don't want to get in over my head on the first run!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
whereshegoes
post Nov 28 2006, 12:48 PM
Post #5

Journeyer

There is skiing for everyone! You can even take lessons smile.gif Here is a major ski destination for you to check

Marmot

Known for its lack of crowds and all-natural snow, this resort is easily accessible from Jasper, less than a 20-minute drive away. It has just added a new chair lift, opening up 20 more runs as a result, for a grand total of 73. That greatly increases the 1000-acre terrain the resort previously covered. Skiers of all skill levels are easily accommodated on both trails and bowls. Snowboarders are also welcomed to the slopes, and buses regularly shuttle skiers from the hotels to the ski resort (for a fee).

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
andrea
post Nov 30 2006, 08:22 PM
Post #6

Globetrotter

QUOTE(Jessica_CDN @ Nov 28 2006, 12:46 PM) *

Hey Carm,

Are the runs really challenging in Jasper, or are there some beginner ones as well?? I'm interested in trying snowboarding, but don't want to get in over my head on the first run!

I would definitely recommend lessons! It a challenge to learn but once you get the hang of it, it's a blast! Allow yourself a good three lesson on your butt before you ge too frustrated!

Andrea
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
whereshegoes
post Nov 30 2006, 11:07 PM
Post #7

Journeyer

Is snowboarding harder than skiing?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
cobi
post Dec 1 2006, 08:37 AM
Post #8

Voyager

Member No.: 247

I think snowboarding is easier than skiing, but only in the right conditions, otherwise it's harder.

On powdery downhill slopes snowboarding is fantastic, but if there are flat runs or if it's icy then I hate snowboarding.

I quite like cross country skiiing, but I hate if I'm snowboarding getting to a long, flat bit... because I start thinking 'if I fall over then I'm going to have to take off my snowboard and walk all the way to the lift which is going to suck... so I'd better not fall over...' and then of course do fall over because I'm thinking about it, and then curse as I trudge along carrying my board while the skiiers glide around me.

And for snowboarding, bum padded pants and helmets are essential because you're going to spend time on the ground, which can be a pain.

Ideally, I'd snowboard all the time. But I ski when conditions aren't ideal, which is a lot of the time, at least in Australia!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Dec 4 2006, 03:37 PM
Post #9

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

QUOTE(whereshegoes @ Nov 30 2006, 11:07 PM) *

Is snowboarding harder than skiing?

I have been skiiing since about 4 years of age. I learned to ride a board when I was 18, spent a year and half riding Alberta hills all the time and got my level high enough to teach with the help of many people riding with me! I found getting on a board was such a weird feeling at first! It just felt all wrong, but sticking with it was a good idea, and eventually it became as second nature as skiiing, altho I found that it took alot less time for me to reach a fairly decent level snowboarding then it did for skiing. I find that both can be challenging in different ways. I much prefer the board to the skiis now.
Jasper is my absolute favourite!

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 03:32 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.