Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dandong the border city of China just next to North Korea, Dandong city LiaoNing Province of China
sabrinatraveler
post Jun 5 2010, 06:40 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1052291
Nominate me as a Local Expert

May name is Sabrina, I am sfrom Dandong of China. If you really want to see, touch and experience North Korea but can't get the visa then Dandong (in China's Liaoning province) is the next best destination.
What should you see and visit in Dandong ?
1) You can learn a lot about China's perspective of the Korean War by visiting the War to Resist American Aggression and Aid Korea Museum. With its copious bilingual displays,It opens from 9 o'clock to 4o'clock in the afternoon.
2)If you want to get taste of North Korea you can take the boat ride near the river. The price will be50rmb
3)Dandong is famous by the Korean War during 1950, There is a still one broken bridge can prove that war leave the history behind for ever. The other side of the Bridge it was bombed by the Americans during the Korean War.
The New bridge China-North Korea Friendship Bridge was actually built by the Japanese during World War 2.
You can watch the Pyongyang Express train from Beijing cross the Yalu River All the tourists who will travel to North Korea have to cross the bridge from here; also you can see North Korean trucks going over to Dandong from Sinuiji. Some small business doing between two countries.
4) You should taste Korean reastaurant food from 6o'clockp.m. to 7:30p.m. in some korean reastaurant there are some korean dancing which is very interesting. The food price will be from 30rmb -40rmb each dish. Korean barbeque you should try it is very good as well. The local beer is Yalu River Beer is very mild not very strong. but very nice.
In the summer time there are a lot of barbeque stand near the street until to the midnight.
5) If you find politics and history a bit of a yawner, you can hike along Hu Shan Chang Cheng (Tiger Mountain Great Wall), a well-maintained stretch of wall hailing from the Ming Dynasty. Terrain is quite steep here, so it can actually quite taxing to explore. You'll see Tang-era Taoist temples on the slopes of Dagu Shan (Lonely Mountain) about 90km off. A little closer to town Pheonix Mountain National Park (Fenghuang Shan) has temples, monasteries and caves to explore.
6) From Dandong you can go traveling to North Korea there are a lot of agencies offer train ride from Dandong to Pyongyang. Only one agency Explore North Korea offer English service. But you should apply as earlier as possible for the visa.

Dandong is a very special city mixed with Chinese and Korean culture. I am local people if you have any questions and i am also North Korea traveling expert welcome to ask i will be very happy to answer you.

Hope this will help!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  5.bmp ( 1.22mb ) Number of downloads: 77
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
shangguan
post Sep 6 2010, 01:28 AM
Post #2

Pathfinder

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 255321

It does sound fascinating. I'd love to see the local Korean culture there. I'm sure it is really interesting.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
olegos
post Nov 25 2011, 07:34 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 2413683
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi, Sabrina!
I'm Oleg from Russia. I want to visit Dandong and Changbaishan. Is it possible to go to Changbaishan by bus or train? How long does it take you to go there by train?
thanks air_kiss.gif
Oleg
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 08:46 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in China

Beijing Hotels
Changchun Hotels
Changsha Hotels
Chengdu Hotels
Chongqing Hotels
Dalian Hotels
Dongguan Hotels
Foshan Hotels
Fuzhou Hotels
Guangzhou Hotels
Guilin Hotels
Haikou Hotels
Hangzhou Hotels
Harbin Hotels
Hefei Hotels
Hong Kong Hotels
Jinan Hotels
Kunming Hotels
Lanzhou Hotels
Lijiang Hotels
Nanchang Hotels
Nanjing Hotels
Nanning Hotels
Ningbo Hotels
Qingdao Hotels
Sanya Hotels
Shanghai Hotels
Shenyang Hotels
Shenzhen Hotels
Suzhou Hotels
Taiyuan Hotels
Tianjin Hotels
Urumqi Hotels
Wenzhou Hotels
Wuhan Hotels
Wuxi Hotels
Xi'an Hotels
Xiamen Hotels
Zhengzhou Hotels
Zhuhai Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.