Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Safety in Romania?
arabesquesunset
post Jan 17 2010, 12:58 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 666391
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi everyone! I was just wondering what people had to say about the safety of Romania. I've heard there are a lot of pickpockets, and I may be travelling alone in the future or with a friend. Is there anything I should watch out for? I'll probably be going to Brasnov for a pretty quick stop. Thanks!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
corinneconley
post Jan 18 2010, 04:13 PM
Post #2

Expeditionist

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 638491

I don't know anything personally, but I usually check the usa government site for what they have to say. Usually they also have good tips on what you need to travel there too. Here is Romania's link: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1004.html

"CRIME: While most crimes in Romania are non-violent and non-confrontational, crimes do occur in which victims suffer personal harm. Crimes against tourists, such as robbery, mugging, pick pocketing, and confidence schemes remain a problem in Romania. Organized groups of thieves and pickpockets, sometimes including minors, operate in train stations and on trains, subways, and buses in major cities. A number of thefts and assaults have occurred on overnight trains, including thefts from passengers in closed compartments. The U.S. Embassy recommends using the highest class available for train travel, and traveling with at least one other person. As is always the case, travelers should never leave personal belongings unattended, maintaining control over them at all times; likewise, travelers in motor vehicles should stow their personal belongings securely out of sight if leaving them in a parked car. When driving, doors should remain locked and windows up.

The U.S Embassy has received reports of bar/night club scams. These scams involve unsuspecting patrons being charged exorbitant prices when they receive their bar bills. Another scam involves patrons of "adult" establishments (strip clubs) who are charged for the female workerˇ¦s drinks or time while talking to the customers. Because strip clubs frequently are fronts for organized crime, the U.S. Embassy recommends avoiding these establishments. Patrons may be forced to pay the bills or risk physical confrontation. If you find yourself in this situation, you should pay the bill and make a police report once the incident is over.

Money exchange schemes targeting travelers are common in Romania. Some of these ploys have become rather sophisticated, involving individuals posing as plainclothes policemen, who approach the potential victim, flash a badge, and ask for the victim's passport and wallet. In many of these cases, the thieves succeed in obtaining passports, credit cards, and other personal documents.

Credit card and Internet fraud remain among the most common crimes affecting foreigners in Romania. Romania is largely a "cash only" economy. While an increasing number of businesses accept credit cards, travelers may wish to use cash for goods and services rendered due to the risk of credit card fraud. Vendors, including restaurant staff, have been known to misuse credit card information by making illegal purchases on a customerˇ¦s account. There are an increasing number of ATMs located throughout major cities, and sophisticated identity theft rings target them. Travelers should try to use ATMs located inside banks and check for any evidence of tampering with the machine before use. Travelers should also be very cautious when using publicly available Internet terminals, such as in Internet cafes, as sensitive personal information, account passwords, etc. may be subject to compromise.

U.S. citizens should exercise caution when traveling to Romania to meet individuals known only through contact over the Internet. A significant number of confidence scams have been uncovered involving Romanians who contact their prospective victims through chat rooms or personal advertisements. They generally identify themselves as young Romanian women and develop a "relationship" with their victims over time. Variations of this scam have emerged but money extortion remains the ultimate goal. U.S citizens who suspect they may have fallen victim to this kind of scam should contact American Citizens Services at the U.S. Embassy.

In many countries around the world, counterfeit and pirated goods are widely available. Transactions involving such products may be illegal under local law. In addition, bringing them back to the United States may result in forfeitures and/or fines. "

--------------------
Recent Trips:
New Trails: Buffalo National River

Upcoming Trips:
Oceanside, California (August)
Las Vegas, Nevada (October)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
arabesquesunset
post Jan 18 2010, 07:02 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 666391
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Thanks so much!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travelingdiva
post Jan 19 2010, 03:26 AM
Post #4

Explorer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 201752

My experience in Romania was very positive. Every Romanian we encountered was friendly and helpful and we even had some situations where we could have been ripped off but in the end honesty prevailed.

Having said all that, any time I travel I am cautious about flaunting my valuables and I safe guard my money and plastic.

Brasov is fabulous! I really loved it there ... check out my blog, it's in there somewhere smile.gif And enjoy your trip!

--------------------

Local Travel Expert for Switzerland
Read about my life abroad
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 08:58 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.