Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wilmington
wisconsin_fan81
post Apr 24 2009, 10:47 AM
Post #1

Globetrotter

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 273696

Another great and popular tourist destination is my home- Wilmington! Wilmington is located on the Atlantic coast in New Hanover County, and is home to the ever-popular Wrightsville Beach, NC. Most people who have never heard of or been to Wilmington would probably be familiar with our chief export- film and television! Dawson's Creek, One Tree Hill, even the 1993 Brandon Lee movie "The Crow" were all filmed here (One Tree Hill still is in fact, I think). The region is also known as the Cape Fear area, due to being at the mouth of the Cape Fear River, where is meets the Atlantic Ocean. the temperatures this weekend are going to be in the 80's already, and are warm weather has been pretty consistent for about a week now. We only get about 2 months of solid cold here- January and February, although November, December, and March are not exactly balmy.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wisconsin_fan81
post Apr 24 2009, 02:36 PM
Post #2

Globetrotter

If you ARE coming to Wilmington in the coming weeks or months, be forewarned that the traffic pattern in what we commonly refer to as the "Monkey Junction" area (you'll understand when you get here) is under major construction. They are creating a new traffic pattern, complete with new medians, new traffic lights, and new turning lanes. This is important to know because if you come to Wilmington, you will most likely pass through this intersection many, many times, as it is the direct way to Carolina Beach, one of the major beaches in Wilmington. Many new businesses are opening up in this area, including a movie theater and a Target¯™, so also if you are coming to Wilmington, there are going to be a lot more options for what I like to call Uber areas to stay i.e. hotel, restaurant, stores, convenience stores and more in one little tiny space of the city. I live down the street in the Pine Valley area of Wilmington, and they already have 2 grocery stores, a Walgreens, 2 banks, cell phone stores, restaurants, and 2 gas stations within a 1 mile radius of my apartment. sorry, no major hotels. I'll use next post to discuss major resorts, as we are rapidly approaching that season, and that will probably be the most popular question.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wisconsin_fan81
post Jun 20 2009, 12:50 PM
Post #3

Globetrotter

Heat warning: if you are going to be out and about in Wilmington today, taking the kids for a trip to the beach, taking Grandma and Grandpa downtown to the riverwalk, be advised it is 91 degrees today, high of 94, and heat index around...brace yourselves...105 degrees. That is hot for a desert, and Arizona we ain't people. That temperature is a LOT hotter hear than the arid west because the dripping wet moisture makes it hard to breathe, see, and move...literally. Go to the pool (with sunscreen, please), go to the beach, but be careful walking around town, it is dangerous and un-advisable for anyone, especially children and elderly. My advice folks is to make this a great weekend inside, enjoy the A/C of your hotel room or condo, and let the kids play video games...heck, that's what i'm doing (downloaded 3 old games to the Wii™, got half a case of beer, and waiting until sunset to leave the house!). Be careful, be safe, and please, be smart.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 04:33 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.