Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> TravelPod Local Expert for Spain, Everything you want to know about Spain
apartment
post Sep 6 2007, 09:27 AM
Post #1

Wanderer

Group: Members
Member No.: 52319
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Good afternoon,

My name is Bard, I am Dutch, but have lived and worked in Spain for 6 years now. I work as a marketing executive for a booking agent for serviced apartments.

During my time in Spain I have come across a lot of pitfalls and red tape, but if you know how to deal with it, it will be absolutely fine.

Please find below some hopefully helpful tips and observations. And you can always contact me for more info.

1. Learn some basic Spanish, a few words are even enough to get you started, but it will make all the difference in communicating with the Spanish
2. Try the local dishes. There are so many international restaurants all throughout Spain, that it would be very easy never to eat in a Spanish restaurant. But eating Spanish dishes is part of the whole experience of being in this beautiful country.
3. Talk to the locals. Not only in shops, but also outside in the street, on the market square etc. You will learn a lot!
4. Spain has a rich heritage and culture and there is a great difference between the North and the South. Try to sample it all.
5. Do like the Spanish do, especially in summer: have a siesta between 2-5pm. It is too hot to do anything else!!
6. When you are buying a property, please always do so, with the help of a reputable (i.e. recommended to you) gestor. The gestor will help you wade through the minefield of contracts, obligations and other important stuff, which you won´t understand unless you have lived in the country for many years and speak Spanish fluently
7. Always check the facts! Don´t go blind by what people tell you

Sunny regards,

Bard Vos
Arroyo de la Miel (Malaga)
Spain
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
whereshegoes
post Sep 26 2007, 06:05 AM
Post #2

Journeyer

Member No.: 5

Thanks for the tips Bard! I really enjoyed Spain...so much I have been several times.

What would you recommend not to miss?

I would say Granada, Sevilla, and Barcelona. What are your favorite sites?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
doyve
post Oct 22 2007, 04:49 AM
Post #3

Wanderer

Member No.: 88258

hi Bard, i was wondering how easily (or difficult) you found moving / finding work in spain. did you find a place to rent and job before hand or make your way over with a booked hostel and a little ambition?

im asking as that a couple of years ago we stayed in barcelona for a week chatting to many international locals who had based themselves there. we were even offered a part time bar job.

ive been finishing uni over these recent years and could really see myself there,.

you have any advice for a person in my situtation?

cheers.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
doyve
post Nov 7 2007, 05:50 AM
Post #4

Wanderer

Member No.: 88258

QUOTE(gocielo @ Oct 31 2007, 04:14 AM) *

QUOTE(doyve @ Oct 22 2007, 04:49 AM) *

hi Bard, i was wondering how easily (or difficult) you found moving / finding work in spain. did you find a place to rent and job before hand or make your way over with a booked hostel and a little ambition?

im asking as that a couple of years ago we stayed in barcelona for a week chatting to many international locals who had based themselves there. we were even offered a part time bar job.

ive been finishing uni over these recent years and could really see myself there,.

you have any advice for a person in my situtation?

cheers.

Hi Doyve,

It is definitely worth the try. I am also Dutch and came to Spain about 8 years ago. In the beginning it was hard as I did not speak Spanish very well. This was also the reason why I could not find a job in a Spanish company. Luckily, there are a lot of foreign companies based in Barcelona. After about four years my Spanish was pretty good and that is when I started my first job in a local company.

If you have nothing to loose, then just go for it.

Cheap hotels in Barcelona
Play and have fun

cheers for the reply. i havent, so this is getting more definte by the day. i was thinking of looking for a bar job or something along them lines. maybe working in a hostel? i dont know, and seeing how that goes..

would you happen to know how practical this is?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
imxcited1203
post Nov 15 2007, 02:47 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 106697

HI Bard -

Is there a big celebration during constition day? Iwill be in Madrid then and I am hoping there is. Also - can you name some cool places (bars) not to miss> i know there are so many in Madrid - but we really want to make the mos tof out trip and don't want to wast our time in tourist traps.

QUOTE(apartment @ Sep 6 2007, 09:27 AM) *

Good afternoon,

My name is Bard, I am Dutch, but have lived and worked in Spain for 6 years now. I work as a marketing executive for a booking agent for serviced apartments.

During my time in Spain I have come across a lot of pitfalls and red tape, but if you know how to deal with it, it will be absolutely fine.

Please find below some hopefully helpful tips and observations. And you can always contact me for more info.

1. Learn some basic Spanish, a few words are even enough to get you started, but it will make all the difference in communicating with the Spanish
2. Try the local dishes. There are so many international restaurants all throughout Spain, that it would be very easy never to eat in a Spanish restaurant. But eating Spanish dishes is part of the whole experience of being in this beautiful country.
3. Talk to the locals. Not only in shops, but also outside in the street, on the market square etc. You will learn a lot!
4. Spain has a rich heritage and culture and there is a great difference between the North and the South. Try to sample it all.
5. Do like the Spanish do, especially in summer: have a siesta between 2-5pm. It is too hot to do anything else!!
6. When you are buying a property, please always do so, with the help of a reputable (i.e. recommended to you) gestor. The gestor will help you wade through the minefield of contracts, obligations and other important stuff, which you won´t understand unless you have lived in the country for many years and speak Spanish fluently

Sunny regards,

Bard Vos
Spain
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lindsey-canada
post Mar 7 2008, 11:12 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 145010

Hello! My name is Lindsey, I am Canadian.

In June of this year (2008) I will be moving to Altafulla Spain (1 hour from Barcelona) for 3 months to be an Au Pair. I am giving up my job here as a Marketing Business Analyst so that I can experience another culture, meet new people and build upon my dreams. You mentioned that you have a job in Spain is it much easier for someone to get a job in Spain if they are part of the EU?? As a Canadian I might want to look for a job after I am done as an Au Pair... Do you think this would be hard for me? Also on the weekends I am going to try and go to Barcelona, can you tell me what are some ‘must sees’? Thanks you so much

Lindsey
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lindsey-canada
post May 14 2008, 03:49 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 145010

Thank you for your reply! I read your review!

I am definetly going to be spending some time in Barcelona, that is for sure I am just wondering also what other places are a must see in Spain for my weekends off! Or even in Portugal!!

Thanks again!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
didsbury
post Jun 3 2008, 01:09 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 180749

Hi there,
I am planning on going to Spain next year to study spanish. Do you know of any intensive spanish learning language schools or programs that a good? I was thinking of studying in either Valencia or Málaga. Are they good cities to study in for about half a year?
Thanks, Ozzy
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
champers
post Jul 30 2008, 05:35 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 156415

Good afternoon,

Sunny regards,

Bard Vos
Spain

Hello Bard ...I'm an older (sshh!!) lady who will be travelling to Spain and Portugal in November/December (for 5 weeks). I know the weather will be cold so I'll make sure I'm suitably rugged up for it but I would really value your advice about where to go , how to get there and what would be 'open' during those months..firstly I have a weeks homestay in Madrid and the same in Barcelona then I'm off on my own to wherever I can get to effortlessly..I've been reading everything I can and it looks like riding the local bus could be economical and interesting ..would I be able to get accommodation during that time?..I'm going to take your advice and learn some Spanish before I leave, and if all else fails I'll try sign language :-)) anyway Bard..I look forward to your kind reply at your convenience....regards Elly on the Gold Coast in Oz...(thats Australia :-))
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
vonneclouie
post Oct 21 2008, 02:20 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 252457

I am wondering why hotel accommodation they say is quite been difficult in Barcelona.. IS it true?... I am planning to have some fun in Spain this December and your tips are so helpful.. But is there any cheap hotels in particular that you would recommend most/? thanks... a cheap but a cheerful one........
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jordipons11
post Nov 5 2008, 02:52 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 255851

Hi! I think the best choice in Barcelona is to stay in a appartment. Cheaper and more comfortable. There are lots and everywhere. If you need more information I can help you, about accomodation or any other things. I am from Barcelona. Jordi
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
see19
post Apr 27 2009, 05:59 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 277140

QUOTE(apartment @ Sep 6 2007, 09:27 AM) *

Good afternoon,

Sunny regards,

Bard Vos
Spain

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
renata8284
post Jun 20 2009, 03:45 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 282148

hi,I'm Renata Katai from Hungary.I live in Moraira,but I want to move in Malaga.
I have question for you.
would like to know it a cleaning firm is cleaning up in the hotels in spain?
[color=#663333]
thanks[font=Comic Sans Ms]

--------------------
Renata
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
angel003
post Nov 17 2009, 12:05 AM
Post #14

Wanderer

Member No.: 511301

Hello
I sat in the lobby of the museum for 20 minutes before finally convincing myself that I could conquer the Louvre and go all the way inside. When I finally convinced my legs and my lower back that I am not 85 years old and that they can deal with the Louvre, the first painting I saw was the 2nd painting (Cimabue’s Madonna) I studied in my art history class last fall. That’s when I really realized I had hit the art history big time. I am so so glad I took art history in college, and I think I saw close to half of the paintings I studied in class during my time in Paris.

I walked through the Italian hall, which is pretty much different artists painting the same scene (the Madonna and the Christ child). And of course I saw the Mona Lisa. Not that exciting, but she does have an odd enticing quality. The Louvre visit was made well-worthwhile by watching tourists push each other to take photos in front of the Mona Lisa and listening to people talk about her in 20 different languages. I also get a kick out of the people who video tape museums.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 11:06 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.