Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Trekking Vietnam
tom317
post Nov 8 2009, 08:13 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 492421
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi everyone Im a 19 year old guy that wants to go travelling around vietnam starting in january for 2-3 months and need inspiration!! A travel itinery would really help.

Ideally: to be occupied as much as possible, to spend time with tribal people and go on a route which lots of english speaking people travel (as I am on my own.)

Any feedback would be hugely appreciated! Also if anyone with a simular idea wants to get in touch that would be cool too....

Thank you so much...
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Nov 9 2009, 04:49 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Tom, hit up the blogs!

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-count...etnam/tpod.html

Browse around and I'm sure you'll come up with some great itineraries.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
paddletothesea
post Nov 9 2009, 07:22 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 496111

I went solo last year to Nam and had NO problem with speaking with the people, esp the children who are taught in school how to speak english. I recommend NOT traveling with a bunch of strangers. You will be fine and have a more enjoyable time from my experiences.
I'd stay north...Fly to Hanoi. Stay a few days to see this amazing high energy city. I have connections of places to stay if you email me or get ahold of me. Ha Long Bay is great too.
If you want more hill tribe treking...head to Sapa...by train from Hanoi...about a 10 hour ride at NIGHT...get a sleeper car.
In Sapa many of the hill tribe people will approach you wanting to take you to their village. Telll them how many days etc. etc...I met some great kids to took me to their village , meet their families and did a home-stay. I can get you in contact with my now Hmong friends and they would be happy to help you out. Be speciifc on how long you want to go for.
This area is a general starter area for you so reserach the net for other blogs of others who have specific. You might want to climb Fansipan Mtn which is the highest in Vietnam...You could do this in a 4-5 days round trip too.
Try that for starters.
norm
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Nov 10 2009, 10:23 AM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Great ideas, Paddletothesea!

Thanks for sharing your experience, it's really helpful.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
tom317
post Nov 15 2009, 06:08 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 492421

QUOTE(paddletothesea @ Nov 9 2009, 07:22 PM) *

I went solo last year to Nam and had NO problem with speaking with the people, esp the children who are taught in school how to speak english. I recommend NOT traveling with a bunch of strangers. You will be fine and have a more enjoyable time from my experiences.
I'd stay north...Fly to Hanoi. Stay a few days to see this amazing high energy city. I have connections of places to stay if you email me or get ahold of me. Ha Long Bay is great too.
If you want more hill tribe treking...head to Sapa...by train from Hanoi...about a 10 hour ride at NIGHT...get a sleeper car.
In Sapa many of the hill tribe people will approach you wanting to take you to their village. Telll them how many days etc. etc...I met some great kids to took me to their village , meet their families and did a home-stay. I can get you in contact with my now Hmong friends and they would be happy to help you out. Be speciifc on how long you want to go for.
This area is a general starter area for you so reserach the net for other blogs of others who have specific. You might want to climb Fansipan Mtn which is the highest in Vietnam...You could do this in a 4-5 days round trip too.
Try that for starters.
norm

Thank s a lot man! I really apreciate it!! My email is thomas.c.doyle@gmail.com if you wanna give me yours, ill let you know what I plan.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
hanson
post Dec 25 2009, 04:07 AM
Post #6

Drifter

Member No.: 488381

I had visited Sapa when I had a holiday 2 years ago, very nice people and beautiful landscapes, but just a visit with soft trek, not a hard trek as climbing to Fansipan Mount.

Your post sounds very interesting, I may take a chance to conquer it next tine.

--------------------
Travel's blog | Vietnam tourism info
Enjoy every step you go (-_-)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 01:27 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Vietnam

Ben Tre Hotels
Buon Ma Thuot Hotels
Can Tho Hotels
Cao Lahn Hotels
Cat Ba Hotels
Chau Doc Hotels
Da Nang Hotels
Dalat Hotels
Dien Bien Phu Hotels
Dong Ha Hotels
Dong Hoi Hotels
Ha Tien Hotels
Haiphong Hotels
Halong Bay Hotels
Hanoi Hotels
Ho Chi Minh City Hotels
Hoi An Hotels
Hue Hotels
Khanh Hai Hotels
Kontum Hotels
Lai Chau Hotels
Lao Cai Hotels
Long Hai Hotels
Mong Cai Hotels
Mui Ne Hotels
My Tho Hotels
Nha Trang Hotels
Ninh Binh Hotels
Ninh Phuoc Hotels
Phan Rang-Thap Cham Hotels
Phan Thiet Hotels
Quang Ngai Hotels
Quy Nhon Hotels
Rach Gia Hotels
Sapa Hotels
Soc Trang Hotels
Tuyen Quang Hotels
Vinh Long Hotels
Vung Tau Hotels
Yen Bai Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.