Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Signapore Stop over
dancol
post Feb 9 2009, 07:56 AM
Post #1

Drifter

Group: Members
Member No.: 267386
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi, i wonder if anyone can help!!

i have booked my flights for OZ and NZ, but on the way i am stopping over at singapore to cut down on the travel time.

I will be there for 2 days, can anyhone recommend some resonable accomadation and what sites to see etc.

I have has a quote for teh Y Metropolitan Hotel wihich is close to Orchard Road for 86 per night!!!

I was told this is expensive as it will be high season??? Is there anywhere cheaper around

Thanks

Dan
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Feb 9 2009, 08:52 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 124

86 quid!!!?!?!?!?!!? Dude you need to get serious. Get yourself in to a hostel and meet some amazing people, forget the no-lives. $18-20SGD per night max for a life-enhancing experience. Do it. You owe it to yourself. DO NOT pay more than ten quid!

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
dancol
post Feb 9 2009, 09:22 AM
Post #3

Drifter

thats what i thought!!!

Is this best to sort when i get there or pre-book here, also can you think of any decent hostl for cairns?

i last thing, travel insurance can you help?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travelmonster
post Feb 9 2009, 09:25 AM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 101826

Bliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimey!!! I don't know how long you are planning on being gone for, but at prices like that it won't be too long unless you're a secret millionaire laugh.gif

Seriously, even if you aren't into hostels - there are plenty of much, much cheaper smaller hotels or bed and breakfasts to be had.

--------------------
In Search Of ...........

"Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment sparkling like a star in our hand -- and melting like a snowflake" - Marie Beynon Ray
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
dancol
post Feb 9 2009, 02:18 PM
Post #5

Drifter

Anyone got any suggestions for hostels or cheap hotels

And what about travel insurance?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travelmonster
post Feb 9 2009, 04:54 PM
Post #6

Rolling Stone

For hostels you could try sites like hostelworld.com or hostels.com - I just did a search on them for 1 night (21st November) - cause I seem to remember reading somewhere that you're leaving November - and you can get a room from just over 7 for the night.

It's been a number of years since I stayed in a hostel, so I don't have any advice for choosing one I'm afraid, but Scott will probably have some ideas on that.

As for small b&bs and guesthouses, my search for these in Singapore was pretty much fruitless, nothing of the nature I was thinking of. I got a few hotels up on Kayak.com - using the same search as above for around 21 per night - which I found wholly dissapointing considering they seem to charge the same price for a double for two people as they do for a single.

Anyways, food for thought.

--------------------
In Search Of ...........

"Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment sparkling like a star in our hand -- and melting like a snowflake" - Marie Beynon Ray
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Feb 9 2009, 09:57 PM
Post #7

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 124

Ok Dan.

Firstly, travel insurance. I'm the WRONG person to ask at the moment as I'm still (yes Paula STILL) battling through a hospital claim from last year. Right now I'd say it's all a big waste of time but you should seek advise from others. The more I travel the more pointless I think travel insurance is. But that's me.

As for your accommodation, again, it all depends on what kind of traveller you are. If you're fairly new to all this hobo malarkey it can be a little daunting and so the natural response is to try and plan it all before you go, cos' it feels nice and safe right? And you CAN do that. Check out something like www.hostelword.com and book away till your heart's content. There are hundreds of cheap, reliable, clean and very appealing accommodation options out there. You don't even have to stay in a dorm, you can have a room all to yourself if you want. Seriously, you could have all this (Singers, Cairns, NZ) booked up inside of ten minutes if you want to. BUT, do you really want to? What about the adventurous streak in you? What about the excitement of not knowing? Booking everything now will mean security yes, but then that's it, there's not a fat lot else to do then. What if you meet some really interesting people on the plane or train or bus? People who tell you about the perfect place to stay that's full of exciteable like minded travellers like you and they're headed off tomorrow to some other place you hadn't even planned for? "Wanna come Dan? It'll be a hoot!" I'm saying this cos' this is exactly what happens. And what I'm getting at is there is so much to get out of going with the flow and being adventurous, yet so many people don't do it, so many stick to 'playing it safe'. Plus, travelling Singapore and Australia is an absolutely doddle. It's made to be easy, which is why you won't have any problems.

Why not read few a few blogs and see what other people's first -hand experiences have been? Failing all that and like I said before, you can crash at my place for 70quid a night and I'll throw in a killer feed and a few coldies to keep you going.. wink.gif

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Feb 9 2009, 11:24 PM
Post #8

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 13336

Booking everything now will mean security yes, but then that's it, there's not a fat lot else to do then. What if you meet some really interesting people on the plane or train or bus? People who tell you about the perfect place to stay that's full of exciteable like minded travellers like you and they're headed off tomorrow to some other place you hadn't even planned for?

Yeah seriously, you should really mull that over before you do anything. Your need to book is only out of a sense of security b/c you don't know what to expect and maybe you don't want to throw all caution to the wind but I can guarantee you that after a little bit of time on the road you'll feel like a seasoned pro and wonder why you felt the need to book so much ahead.

Leave the doors open to opportunity instead of committing yourself to plans you don't really even know you want to make yet. You might feel a little bit nervous about that now but trust me, you'll be doing yourself a huge favor. No one knows what the future will bring. You can't really plan for it even if you think you can.

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travelmonster
post Feb 10 2009, 05:16 AM
Post #9

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(ScottWoz @ Feb 10 2009, 02:57 AM) *

Firstly, travel insurance. I'm the WRONG person to ask at the moment as I'm still (yes Paula STILL) battling through a hospital claim from last year. Right now I'd say it's all a big waste of time but you should seek advise from others.

Oh my goodness, there are no words!! At least none I can use on here!!!

--------------------
In Search Of ...........

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
dancol
post Feb 10 2009, 05:16 AM
Post #10

Drifter

Im am not going to book all the accomodation for my travels, just for the first 2 nights in singapore and the first 3 nights in Cairnes, just so i know i have somewhere to get my head down after the air journey.

I found a cheap place in singapore for 12 a night G4 Station in Singapore, Singapore and the same in Cairnes Dreamtime Travellers Rest, Cairns both in he dorms so it will be eaiser to meet people, after that im just gonna go with the flow

As for travel insurance, i will get some for piece of mind, as you will never know what will happen
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 03:38 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Singapore

Chinatown Hotels
Little India Hotels
Pulau Ubin Hotels
Sentosa Island Hotels
Singapore Hotels
Singapore River Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.