Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Punta Tombo help needed!
wishinglion
post Oct 13 2008, 08:50 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 250567

Hi

We'll be in Puerto Madryn for on Boxing Day (26 Dec). We'll be arriving by cruise ship and want to go to Punta Tombo but don't want to use the ship's service (too expensive and too much 'herding around like cattle'!)

I probably don't need a guide to go to a beach to visit some penguins so was thinking of using a local taxi. Does anyone know if this is possible and the likely cost please? I need to know if the taxis are readily available at the port or if I need to book in advance (will have to be by email as won't be in Argentina to do this in person)?

Help please!!
Thanks
Hellen
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Oct 13 2008, 12:02 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

As far as I understand it shouldn't be difficult getting a taxi.....I was just doing some research on PM for work and that's the impression I get but I'm sure you'll get some more specific advice from Martin.

Okay, found a little time to do a bit of research. There are tons of tours readily available to see the penguins. Taxis are also readily available. Part of the road is gravel and takes a bit of time to get over. It might be more affordable to grab a cheap tour bus, even if you don't use the tour guide....a local taxi may be cheaper in town, but when it comes to taking tourists to tourist spots, I find taxis are usually more expensive. Either way, you should be able to just show up and find multiple ways there no problem.

Punta Tombo is located 181 km (112 miles) from Puerto Madryn and 110 km (68 miles) from Trelew. From Puerto Madryn travel south on Provincial Route Nš 3 past Trelew. Turn south on Provincial Route Nš 1. The remaining 107 km (66 miles) is on gravel track. [i]Many bus tours stop in Punta Tombo.[/i]

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Oct 13 2008, 02:19 PM
Post #3

Tripper

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 2195

Hello,

You are very correct in that cruise ship tours are extremely expensive, and you will indeed travel with the herd. At all ports along the route you will find taxi drivers awaiting cruise ships. In most cases these drivers have already been vetted by the local tourist board, so there is generally no risk involved. Nevertheless, you usually have to take the "next one in line" rather than selecting one at dockside. In this case you may come up with a wonderful driver and guide, or you may get a total dud. It's a bit of a toss up".

Keep in mind that Punta Tombo is 112 miles from Puerto Madryn, where I presume your ship will be docking.

It might be better to pay a little more and get a private tour set up so that someone is waiting for you in arrival. It will still probably be less than the ship's tour.

Here are some websites you might want to look at which will help:
Official Puerto Madryn Tourist Board site:
http://www.madryn.gov.ar/turismo/ingles/servicios/index.htm

Local tour operators:
http://www.patagonia-argentina.com/i/atlan...adryn/tombo.php

http://www.argentinavision.com/receptivo/e.../tombocama.html

http://www.titobottazzi.com/excursiones-te...html#puntatombo
These are local agencies in Puerto Madryn. Although some sites may be in Spanish, I'm sure that if you send them a message in English they will be able to help.

Check them all out to get an idea of prices of the cost of a trip to Punta Tombo.

Last but not least, you might want to skim these blogs from fellow Travelpodders who have been to and written about Punta Tombo:
http://www.travelpod.com/cgi-bin/keyword2....d=punta%20tombo

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 06:41 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Chile

Algarrobo Hotels
Ancud Hotels
Antofagasta Hotels
Arica Hotels
Calama Hotels
Castro Hotels
Chillan Hotels
Concepcion Hotels
Concon Hotels
Copiapo Hotels
Coquimbo Hotels
Coyhaique Hotels
Frutillar Hotels
Hanga Roa Hotels
Iquique Hotels
La Serena Hotels
Las Condes Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Osorno Hotels
Pichilemu Hotels
Pisco Elqui Hotels
Pucon Hotels
Puerto Montt Hotels
Puerto Natales Hotels
Puerto Octay Hotels
Puerto Varas Hotels
Punta Arenas Hotels
Putre Hotels
Puyehue Hotels
Rancagua Hotels
San Pedro de Atacama Hotels
Santa Cruz Hotels
Santiago Hotels
Talca Hotels
Temuco Hotels
Torres del Paine Hotels
Valdivia Hotels
Valparaiso Hotels
Villarrica Hotels
Vina del Mar Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.