Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Places to see
irock
post Jul 11 2008, 06:17 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 210963
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi
I will be travelling to Sri Lanka in September 2008 and as I will only be staying for a short period I wondered if anyone had any "Must See" places to reccommend. I will be staying in Columbo for 1 night then to Dambulla for 3 nights, Kandy for 2 nights & Nuwara Eliya for 1 night. My trip then continues to the South West Coast for 7 nights.
Any suggestions very welcome.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jul 11 2008, 08:57 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Hi irock, I've never been to Sri Lanka, but have you checked out the "Things to Do" lists on Trip Advisor?

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g29...-Sri_Lanka.html

You can click on the cities you want to visit, and there will be a whole list of things to do, with reviews and stuff, etc. etc.

Also, read a couple of blogs before you go, here's a list of TravelPod blogs from Sri Lanka:
http://www.travelpod.com/blogs/0/Sri%20lanka.html

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
fingerszz
post Jul 29 2008, 01:24 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 218449

QUOTE(irock @ Jul 11 2008, 06:17 AM) *

Hi
I will be travelling to Sri Lanka in September 2008 and as I will only be staying for a short period I wondered if anyone had any "Must See" places to reccommend. I will be staying in Columbo for 1 night then to Dambulla for 3 nights, Kandy for 2 nights & Nuwara Eliya for 1 night. My trip then continues to the South West Coast for 7 nights.
Any suggestions very welcome.

Hi irock, I will be travelling to Sri Lanka in October for my fourth visit.It's a wonderful country with great scenery,great people,great culture, great food and oh my God,those beaches.You are doing a good thing by travelling around first before hitting the beaches because once you hit the beach you don't leave unless you're leaving the country.Dambulla is a good base for visiting Sigiriya and Polounaruwa.When in Kandy you must visit the elephant orphannage.As regards the beaches,they're all fantastic.I particularly like Hikkaduwa,Unawatuna and Mirissa.All different to each other but all very beautiful.Be mindful of public transport though.The buses have been targeted recently by terrorist attacks.But don't let that put you off.Sri Lanka is fantastic with so much to offer.You'll love it!!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
narnia
post Apr 21 2009, 12:00 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 276527

Sri Lanka is a beautiful island with many places to see such as follows.

1. Colombo, the capital, is the financial and the commercial hub and at the same time, a major tourist destination as well. Entire town is dotted with several places of tourist interest, some of the must visit ones being Dehiwala Zoo, Dutch Period Museum, Fort Clock Tower, Gangaramaya Temple, Independence Hall and Mt Lavinia Beach.

2. The historical landmarks are among the best known tourist attractions in Sri Lanka and some of the notable ones are - Anuradhapura, Mihintale, Sigiriya, Dambula and Aluvihara. Anuradhapura is the first capital of Sri Lanka and remained a strong symbol of Sinhalese supremacy and features a number of monuments and historic buildings that continue to enthrall tourists from all over the world.

3. The beaches occupy a leading place among the various places to visit in Sri Lanka. You will encounter a number of fascinating palm-fringed beaches.. The combination of sun and sand with the pristine ambiance lets you spend some memorable moments away from cacophony of your life in the cities. Some of the well-known beaches of Sri Lanka are Negombo, Mount Lavinia, Kalutara, Beruwela, Bentota, Hikkaduwa, Galle and Arugam Bay.

4. Sri Lanka is also home to a large number of nature spots that are among its prime highlights. The splendid waterfalls of Sri Lanka are among the most sought-after attractions found in the dense woods on the mountain slopes and valleys. They fall from amazing heights and are feast to the eyes. Bambarakande Falls, Diyaluma Falls, Kirindi Oya Falls, St. Claire Falls, Bopath Falls, Laxapana Falls, Devon Falls, Rawana Falls, Elgin Falls and Nawarathna Falls are some of the many waterfalls of Sri Lanka.

5. The fairs and festivals hold a key place apart from the tourist attractions in Sri Lanka thus featuring a wide range of Buddhist, Hindu, Christian and Muslim events. Kandy Esala Perahera (July/August) is the most spectacular event. This festival is marked by torch-bearers, whip-crackers, dancers and drummers and climaxes in a great procession honoring the Sacred Tooth Relic of Kandy. Duruthu Perahera (January), held in Colombo is also an important one and celebrates the arrival of Buddha to Sri Lanka.

The other major events you should not miss out are National Day (February), New Year (March/April), Vesak (May) and Kataragama festival (July/August).

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Apr 21 2009, 12:29 PM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

That's a great help, narnia, thank you and welcome to the forums.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
manzara
post May 10 2009, 01:38 PM
Post #6

Sightseer

From: eşme, Western Turkey. One of Turkey's best-kept secrets
Member No.: 262135

A few highlights of our holiday in Sri Lanka about three years ago but first a few facts about the island:

• Sri Lanka lies only a few degrees north of the Equator, but . . .
. . . if you travel due south of the country, the first land you reach is – Antarctica!

• Sri Lanka is slightly smaller than Ireland

• Romantic geographers have compared its outline to “a teardrop falling from the tip of India”. The more practical Dutch likened it to a leg of ham!

• Despite being a small country, Sri Lanka has two separate monsoon seasons – and two inter-monsoon periods! This means there is always good weather somewhere on the island, but you can also get caught out by the rain, but . . .

• . . . the temperature throughout the year remains virtually constant at between 27-30C

• Sri Lanka has the dubious distinction of having the highest number of snakebite fatalities, per capita, of any country in the world! We only saw two in a month – big, but harmless.

Pinnawela Elephant Orphanage was set up in 1975 to look after seven orphaned elephants, but the project has grown and there are now over 65 residents making it the world’s largest collection of captive elephants, including those orphaned and abandoned elephants as well as those injured in the wild. The Orphanage has also developed a major breeding programme and about one elephant is born here every year.

A highlight of the visit is the afternoon bathing of the elephants when they are all brought down to a lovely river setting and just left to wallow and play in the water. – and the feeding time when the young ones guzzle enormous quantities of milk from oversize baby bottles!

We then moved on to Sigirya, the 200 metre high rock towering above the countryside. During the 1st Century AD, Kassapa (a minor Royal) built an impregnable fortress – doubling as a pleasure palace – at the summit of the rock. It’s a steep climb up and not for the faint hearted! There are some hairy bits – including a metal spiral staircase pinned to the rock face leading to Sri Lanka’s most famous frescoes – busty beauties painted in the fifth century. I don't usually do heights! Elaine went up the staircase leaving me behind but seeing so many people heading up this dangerous looking structure I took several deep breathes, prayed to several deities and headed upwards. “Don’t look down, don’t look outwards, just don’t look!” I repeated on the way up. I made it – not happily – but it was worth it. Pheeew!

Then up the steep paths again to the Lion Platform. The final path to the summit with two enormous lion paws carved out of the rock on either side, once led directly into a carved lion’s mouth. We both declined the final ascent up a narrow metal staircase attached to the bare rock face. Despite the horrors of the staircase, it was a windy day, too! It’s quite ironic that the guy who built the fortress was apparently afraid of heights.

We stayed a few days at Unuwatuna, which we knew was close to the Buena Vista Coral Reef and some of the best snorkelling on the island. It was the busiest resort we had visited, the long stretch of sand lined with beach bars. Unuwatuna has become Sri Lanka’s most popular spot for independent travellers and backpackers.

We had read about Jungle Beach, from where there is easy access from the sand to the coral reef – handy for namby-pamby snorkellers like me! The beach is only accessible, by boat, a 45 minutes walk over the hill and through the jungle (spot monkeys and land monitors on the way!), or a tuk tuk ride and a then ten minute walk from the road down to the beach.

We did the boat ride on the first day and on subsequent days went by tuk tuk. No, we didn’t do the 45 minutes walk through the jungle – well it was over 30C and uphill! the snorkelling even close to the shore was spectacular. It was like swimming in an aquarium. It gave you a feeling that you had been invited into their private underwater world.

--------------------
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"
Lao-tzy, Chinese Philosopher (604 - 531 BC)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
welcome99
post Jul 13 2009, 10:56 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 78220

Hi ...

There are so many places to see in Sri Lanka... Now its very very peacefull country after 19th of May2009.

30years of terrorisam is over.. This is the good time to visit and help to their economy... Now visitors can visit to Estern Beaches too...

There are 7world heritage sites are there..,

Rohan angel1.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Jul 15 2009, 11:42 AM
Post #8

Rolling Stone

Yep, I would agree with you Rohan, it's good to travel to places that need your money in their economy!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
maldivestagent
post Aug 11 2009, 02:47 AM
Post #9

Voyager

Member No.: 192295

As a Country Sri Lanka does need the tourism, which will enable hoteliers to re-invest the money in the hotels. The people are very hopeful now that the issues in the East have finished, however, it is going to take some time for the Country to re-establish itself.

It is a fantastic Country, with amazing culture, fantastic scenery, both inland and coastal. Friendly, 'genuine' people, good food and great value for money whilst there. A great way to see the Country is to hire your own driver, and take in the culture at your own pace.

Now is a great time to visit the Country, whilst it is re-establishing itself, before it becomes too popular, and secondly whilst the exchange rates are so good......

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2014 - 02:21 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Sri Lanka

Ahangama Hotels
Ahungalla Hotels
Aluthgama Hotels
Anuradhapura Hotels
Bandarawela Hotels
Belihuloya Hotels
Bentota Hotels
Beruwela Hotels
Buttala Hotels
Colombo Hotels
Dambulla Hotels
Deniyaya Hotels
Dikwella Hotels
Ella Hotels
Galle Hotels
Habarana Hotels
Haputale Hotels
Hikkaduwa Hotels
Induruwa Hotels
Jaffna Hotels
Kalutara Hotels
Kandalama Hotels
Kandy Hotels
Kitulgala Hotels
Kosgoda Hotels
Marawila Hotels
Matara Hotels
Mount Lavinia Hotels
Negombo Hotels
Nuwara Eliya Hotels
Polonnaruwa Hotels
Pottuvil Hotels
Sigiriya Hotels
Tangalla Hotels
Tissamaharama Hotels
Unawatuna Hotels
Wadduwa Hotels
Waikkal Hotels
Weligama Hotels
Yatiyana Minuwangoda Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.