Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any one going to India Dec 08?, Looking for advice and friends.
effie123
post Jan 11 2008, 11:19 AM
Post #1

Drifter

Group: Members
Member No.: 124125
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi,

My name is Becky,

Iím planning to go to India at the end of Dec08. My plan so far is to start in Delhi and work my way down the west side finishing in Kerala taking about 3 months.

I have been to Goa on a package holiday and took a 3 day tip to Hampi (which was the best bit of the holiday!). Any way I fell in love with India and thatís why Iím going back.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice or if there is anyone thinking of going to India at the same time, it would be great to have a chat and see what other people plan to do.

Or if anyone has recently done this and has got any advice then I gladly welcome your expertise (especially from any girls who have also done this alone).

The main questions I have are about Hotels and transport. For example, should I pre-book a hotel, how long in advance? and how much would a basic en-suite room cost. Anyone know any good websites for finding cheap hotels throughout India? How much money will I need for basic living for 3 months? I have been told £10 a day as a rough estimate Iím wondering if itís more or less.

How do people do the majority of their travelling, the trains baffle the hell out of me! I took a train journey (a fantastic 9hr experience) but it was arranged by a guide, is it easy to get booked yourself?

And lastly I have no doubt that I will be picking up knick-knacks along the way but donít want to get overloaded with extra weight, I was wondering if itís a good idea to post things home?

Becky.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
globetrotter82
post Jan 25 2008, 08:29 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 131740

QUOTE(effie123 @ Jan 11 2008, 11:19 AM) *

Hi,

My name is Becky,

Iím planning to go to India at the end of Dec08. My plan so far is to start in Delhi and work my way down the west side finishing in Kerala taking about 3 months.

I have been to Goa on a package holiday and took a 3 day tip to Hampi (which was the best bit of the holiday!). Any way I fell in love with India and thatís why Iím going back.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice or if there is anyone thinking of going to India at the same time, it would be great to have a chat and see what other people plan to do.

Or if anyone has recently done this and has got any advice then I gladly welcome your expertise (especially from any girls who have also done this alone).

The main questions I have are about Hotels and transport. For example, should I pre-book a hotel, how long in advance? and how much would a basic en-suite room cost. Anyone know any good websites for finding cheap hotels throughout India? How much money will I need for basic living for 3 months? I have been told £10 a day as a rough estimate Iím wondering if itís more or less.

How do people do the majority of their travelling, the trains baffle the hell out of me! I took a train journey (a fantastic 9hr experience) but it was arranged by a guide, is it easy to get booked yourself?

And lastly I have no doubt that I will be picking up knick-knacks along the way but donít want to get overloaded with extra weight, I was wondering if itís a good idea to post things home?

Becky.

Hi Becky

if u plan to start in delhi in dec u might know tht its very cold by indian standards in DEC.By the time you arrive in kerala in march it would be boiling hot.

Hostelworld or hostelbooker are a good site to look at to book lodge or rooms.Individual rooms are cheaper in india so the concept of hostel has still not caught up.An average room might cost you about 400 INR (Rs) .But its largely dependent on the city you stay in .

I would reccomend you to book the hostel in advance because you would reduce ur hassel and also would cut down the enourmous commission for the tout.

Now for the last part Majority of indians still use trains .Travel second class that how you could get a real feel of it(if you can cut down the luxury).

Hope this info helps you a lot .I am planning to come down to india around November - dec 08 .

Bon voyage
Bharath
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
effie123
post Jan 26 2008, 10:21 AM
Post #3

Drifter

[quote name='globetrotter82' date='Jan 25 2008, 08:29 AM' post='39007']
[quote name='effie123' post='37946' date='Jan 11 2008, 11:19 AM']

Hay thanks for that Bharath, some useful stuff to know there. I dont mind going second class at all, im not going there to be pampered, i want to see the real stuff!!

Thanks again.

Becky.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
walkedtheline
post Feb 2 2008, 09:23 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 24473

QUOTE(effie123 @ Jan 11 2008, 11:19 AM) *

Hi,

My name is Becky,

Becky.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
walkedtheline
post Feb 2 2008, 09:34 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 24473

[quote name='walkedtheline' date='Feb 2 2008, 09:23 AM' post='39750']
Hi,

My name is Becky,

Becky.

Hello Becky:

I live in Canada, a female, and am hoping to fly Delhi in Sept-Oct/2008, spend about 2 months in then North, mainly in Rajjasthan, then visit Bombay, Calcutta, and Goa...for another month.

If you could change your travel plans to an early date please let me know; as it is mentioned on this site, starting on December in the North will not be pleasant due to the weather. blow.gif

Thanks.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bloomer
post Feb 4 2008, 08:30 AM
Post #6

Frequent Flyer

Member No.: 1067

Hey Becky:

So great that India has seeped into your bones. It does have a way of doing that. Upon landing in Delhi you should go and stay in an area called Paharganj, it will be chock full of travelers such as yourself, and there are countless hotels serving that clientele. I would plan on paying not much more than 200 rupes for a room, you can haggle down from the original price generally quite a bit and it is expected. You will not need the air con room at this time of year up there--expect temperatures in the 60F range during the day--cool, but not actually cold, unless there is anomalous weather. At the end of the Paharganj is the train station--it is not all that hard to book, follow the signs for foreign tourist office, fill out the form with the train number you want and destination and get your ticket. I would choose 2nd class sleeper aircon coach, pretty safe, mostly the richer people. To get from delhi to chennai for example on the tamil nadu express costs about 1200 rupees. Expect to be asked for a recipt of exchange if you pay in rupees, a good plan is to have some american dollars or pounds or euros, as they will accept these with no questions asked.
Delhi is a good city to start in for this reason, the backpacker "ghetto" is close to the station and easy to negotiate. You will most likely meet people who have similar plans, so the best thing to do is travel with a crew to your next destination. There is safety in numbers, especially for women. Keep your shoulders covered and wear long pants always. The sight of skin, especially on a women, drives indian men a little batty, and offends the women. Native or semi-native garb is always there and cheap, and is a good way to go if you want to blend in a little better.
When is Kerala, visit Varkalla--it's a village on a cliff on the seaside. It's tourist-friendly and offers breathtaking views. Many people also do a housboat in the canals inland, a bit pricey for the most part, but also incredible. There are nature preserves inland in the ghats, good to hire a car and driver and go to if there are enough of you to make it cost effective. Tons of other stuff to do in Kerala as well, these are just a couple of my favorites.
I will be in India from february 5 this year onwards, in the north at the start, and then taking my motorcycle down the east coast to tamil nadu, kerala, and eventually Goa by way of Hampi. Back again there in september if all goes well.
I have excellent contacts in Hampi if you want a nice guest house to stay on the cheap, you can message me if you wish for any information you need. Hampi is incredible.
Have fun and stay safe!!

--------------------
My travels. Well, some of them anyway.

Josh 13 on myspace

The Solo Me

Alter Ego Oliver Towne

Joshbloomer.com

QUOTE(findingnine @ Feb 21 2007, 05:08 PM) *

Hair of the dog. Make it a lifestyle! :puppeh:
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bloomer
post Feb 4 2008, 08:37 AM
Post #7

Frequent Flyer

Oh, and posting things home is generally reliable, but pack them well! There are numerous shops that offer posting services that eliminate the frustration sometimes engendered by trying to mail things yourself. Surface (ship) transport is cheap, but takes one to three months.
India has pride in their postal service's dependability, and it is dependable, just a bit slow.
Also, don't ever pay a thousand rupees for a room! Unless it is in the Taj Mahal! Take advantage of the local cuisine wherever you go as well, it is the best food, and usually the cheapest as well.

--------------------

Josh 13 on myspace

The Solo Me

Alter Ego Oliver Towne

Joshbloomer.com

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
effie123
post Feb 12 2008, 05:57 PM
Post #8

Drifter

[quote name='garvind' date='Feb 1 2008, 12:22 AM' post='39664']
Hello Becky

How lucky you are to be able to travel for 3 months ! My first bit of advice from a safety point of view, is please dont travel alone if you can avoid it, especially in Delhi and North India this is not at all a good idea for women. Assuming you are travelling alone, please book flights, you can get cheap domestic fares if you book in advance: ezeego1.com; cleartrip.com; makemytrip.com; yatra.com are some of many sites that offer good domestic airfares. If you are concerned about excess baggage then its best to stick to Indian airlines: airindia.in and click the Indian logo on the bottom right. Overnight train travel from Delhi, especially for a woman on her own is highly avoidable. I dont want to put you off but
these are ground realities and there have been several incidents in the last one year.

Hi thank you for your concerns, i take everything you have said onboard. I can see your point about a lot of things and i will be sure to be very careful. You have given some great websites there and i will check them out, they will come in very useful.

I am hpoing to keep the trip to a pretty low budget, but i will use tinternet to check out reviews on saftey of places. I have seen a few recommended hostels and hotels for females, will be using them till i make some friends.

Thanks again.
Becks.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
effie123
post Feb 12 2008, 06:04 PM
Post #9

Drifter

[quote name='walkedtheline' date='Feb 2 2008, 09:34 AM' post='39751']
Hi,

Hello Becky:

I live in Canada, a female, and am hoping to fly Delhi in Sept-Oct/2008, spend about 2 months in then North, mainly in Rajjasthan, then visit Bombay, Calcutta, and Goa...for another month.

If you could change your travel plans to an early date please let me know; as it is mentioned on this site, starting on December in the North will not be pleasant due to the weather. blow.gif

Thanks.
[/quote]

Hmmmm well I'm fairly stuck with those dates as I have to get it all sorted with work as i'm planning to return there when i get back. I can probobly get to Dheli at beginning of December and start my journey a couple of weeks early. I thought that was an ok time for the weather?? Will it be quite bad at that time of the year then?

Would be great to stay intouch, if i dont get to hook up with you maybe you can let me know how it goes and give me a heads up on any good places to board and eat as you will be a few weeks ahead of me.

Becky
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
effie123
post Feb 12 2008, 06:13 PM
Post #10

Drifter

QUOTE(bloomer @ Feb 4 2008, 08:30 AM) *

Hey Becky:

Delhi is a good city to start in for this reason, the backpacker "ghetto" is close to the station and easy to negotiate. You will most likely meet people who have similar plans, so the best thing to do is travel with a crew to your next destination. There is safety in numbers, especially for women. Keep your shoulders covered and wear long pants always. The sight of skin, especially on a women, drives indian men a little batty, and offends the women. Native or semi-native garb is always there and cheap, and is a good way to go if you want to blend in a little better.

Wow great stuff, you seem like you really know what you are talking about! I was a little scared by the train system but you have given great advice, i think it will be all cool beanz once i have done it once i should be ok there after. Also it would be great to hook up with some peope who are all heading in the same direction.

Im still pretty torn, either i turn up in Delhi and go on a pre paid 'shoestring' trip or i do my own thing, there is some security in starting in the guided group but it also feels like a bit of a cop-out. Its a 21 day trip and then after that I get back to Delhi, maybe then i will have the confidence and have adjusted to India a little more to start my own journey down the West side?

Is it a bit lame to get a flight from Delhi to Chennai and then travel around the south?

Do you know a good route from North to South?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
effie123
post Feb 12 2008, 06:25 PM
Post #11

Drifter

QUOTE(effie123 @ Feb 12 2008, 06:13 PM) *

QUOTE(bloomer @ Feb 4 2008, 08:30 AM) *

Hey Becky:

Wow great stuff, you seem like you really know what you are talking about! I was a little scared by the train system but you have given great advice, i think it will be all cool beanz once i have done it once i should be ok there after. Also it would be great to hook up with some peope who are all heading in the same direction.

Im still pretty torn, either i turn up in Delhi and go on a pre paid 'shoestring' trip or i do my own thing, there is some security in starting in the guided group but it also feels like a bit of a cop-out. Its a 21 day trip and then after that I get back to Delhi, maybe then i will have the confidence and have adjusted to India a little more to start my own journey down the West side?

Is it a bit lame to get a flight from Delhi to Chennai and then travel around the south?

Do you know a good route from North to South?

errr ignor me, i just realised you have said about the train from Delhi to Chennai, im up for that, sounds like a better deal than flying!
How long is the train journey though? must be pretty long all that way. Are there any cool places worth stopping at for a few days on the way?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bloomer
post Feb 13 2008, 02:54 AM
Post #12

Frequent Flyer

The train is about 20 hours or so, if I remember correctly, if you get a 2nd class aircon sleeper, it's not bad at all, the seats fold down into beds. If you get an upper berth, you won't have to deal with someone who wants a seat when you want a bed, or vice versa, you'll have your own spot up high. The food on the train is plentiful, and usually darn good, so you won't go hungry. Plus you can see a bit of the countryside.
2nd class sleeper is much nicer and safer than the sleeper cabin.

If you are just a little bit adventurous, I would forego the package tour and set off on your own. It is pretty easy to find people who are going the same way--Stay a few days in paharganj to get acclimated to the chaos you'll find when you get in, and you most likely will meet some travel friends.
India is actually a very safe place for travelers, but you need to be prepared and know somewhat of what you're doing. Watch your back, and you'll be fine.

--------------------

Josh 13 on myspace

The Solo Me

Alter Ego Oliver Towne

Joshbloomer.com

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
effie123
post Feb 13 2008, 04:31 AM
Post #13

Drifter

QUOTE(bloomer @ Feb 13 2008, 02:54 AM) *

The train is about 20 hours or so, if I remember correctly, if you get a 2nd class aircon sleeper, it's not bad at all, the seats fold down into beds. If you get an upper berth, you won't have to deal with someone who wants a seat when you want a bed, or vice versa, you'll have your own spot up high. The food on the train is plentiful, and usually darn good, so you won't go hungry. Plus you can see a bit of the countryside.
2nd class sleeper is much nicer and safer than the sleeper cabin.

If you are just a little bit adventurous, I would forego the package tour and set off on your own. It is pretty easy to find people who are going the same way--Stay a few days in paharganj to get acclimated to the chaos you'll find when you get in, and you most likely will meet some travel friends.
India is actually a very safe place for travelers, but you need to be prepared and know somewhat of what you're doing. Watch your back, and you'll be fine.

I love adventure! I think you are totally right, i do really want to be able to say that i did it on my own and not on a 'guided tour'.
Cheers for that. ohh this is getting me sooo excited!
I think my money will go alot further too with out having to pay for the tour.

Thanks again x
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sharon1306
post Feb 15 2008, 01:44 AM
Post #14

Wayfarer

Member No.: 986

I've taken the train from Delhi to Chennai a few years ago, and it was a fun (but looooong) ride. I like having the upper berth for reasons mentioned, I like being able to lie down whenever I want to without worrying about the others in the compartment. Still, you might want to look into flying that sector, considering there are so many budget airlines operating in India now. If you book sufficiently in advance, you can get really good deals.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
shaun_gooch
post Feb 15 2008, 10:23 PM
Post #15

Globetrotter

Member No.: 121767

Hi,

My name is Becky,

Becky.

Hello Becky

My name is Shaun I have been living in India since last May I'm here with my wife and daughter, don't worry we are a young couple working over sea's. I travel up and down India with work and we are almost gauranted to be in India when you arrive, My wife Sarah would be able to give you advice on anything you need to know, being hear so long we have caught everything there is to catch and experianced most of it!
Sarah isant on travelpod but if you want to get intouch with her drop me a line and ill pass on her email or get her to drop you a line,
Let me know?
We live in Tamil nadu at the mo but are constantly on the move so there might evan be a place to stay on your route somewhere.
Regards Shaun.

--------------------
TO SAY YOU HAVE LIVED FIRST YOU MUST TRAVEL!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
effie123
post Feb 17 2008, 01:28 PM
Post #16

Drifter

[quote name='shaun_gooch' date='Feb 15 2008, 10:23 PM' post='41182']

Hello Becky

My name is Shaun I have been living in India since last May I'm here with my wife and daughter, don't worry we are a young couple working over sea's. I travel up and down India with work and we are almost gauranted to be in India when you arrive, My wife Sarah would be able to give you advice on anything you need to know, being hear so long we have caught everything there is to catch and experianced most of it!
Sarah isant on travelpod but if you want to get intouch with her drop me a line and ill pass on her email or get her to drop you a line,
Let me know?
We live in Tamil nadu at the mo but are constantly on the move so there might evan be a place to stay on your route somewhere.
Regards Shaun.
[/quote]

Thanks Shaun and Sarah, there are going to be lots of questions come up so your advise would be so valuable to me.
I have been spendning lots of time flicking through my 'rough guide' book and its a really great help but there seems like so much to do and i will only have 3 months to squeeze it all in.
I'm not sure how to divide my time between the North and South.
Although i want to keep my plan pretty loose incase i should meet people who i want to go around with for a while, i still think it will be a good idea to some have some plan in mind.
Do you have any ideas? Have you been able to do much travelling with work?
I figure i will come down the East through Tamil Nadu down to the southern tip and back up the West through Kerala and finish in Goa.
If i were to have 5 weeks from arriving in say Chennai to leaving Goa where do you advise i visit and do you think im giving myself enough time to move around such a large area?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
shaun_gooch
post Feb 18 2008, 12:55 AM
Post #17

Globetrotter

Member No.: 121767

Hi Becky
Due to work I dont get to travel much! and have only seen a few spots in India, Some of the people I work with have been here for two years or more so for a start I can pass on some of there advice,
I have been told a few times now by differant people the thing to remeber although India is a more cultured country then almost any other in Asia India, is India. and although every place is differant in many ways they are the same, Some of the guy's I work with have done intence trips up north where they have tryed to cram in as much as they can in a short time, every one of them has said spend time doing the big things that you want to see as traveling place to place nothing really changes, and one things for sure India will wear you out very fast!
A suggested itinery from us would be Delhi, Agra, Dar jeling, Rajestan and back to Dehli.
This is an itinery we have planed for are selves made up from people who have traveld the north alot we also have friends living in Dehli and Mahali, who have suggested this, on our return to Dehli an idea you might like to look at is Khatmandu its only a day by bus or a very short flight from Dehli.

Dont worry about the time you have i.e. 3 months is a great time span after three months chance's are you will be glad to get back home for a while!!!!
What will take up lots of time is traveling India is MASSIVE, the train ride from Dehli to south is mundaine and soul destroying I strongly recomend Flying, if you did decide to fly dont book any flights untill you arrive as you will find it much cheaper hear the airlines are very good and very cheap I use them all the time. There are arround 5 flights daily to any where with an airport and the price is only a couple of quid more then the train or bus.

After the north one way or another you will find your self down south which is our stomping ground to date, I would allow your self a little longer for the south, as there are some great spots to spend a few days relaxing and sight seeing,
Start on the Chennai side saving the best till last! from Chennai city head for Mamalapourm its a great travelers rest there is absolutly nothing in Chennai so Mamalapourm is the place to go hear you will find like minded travelers very old temples rock carvings and a great place to chill out on the bay of bengal, From hear you can head up to Pondichery for a day trip or over night Pondichery is another state a french colony and one of the only places in India where the streets are spotless origanal french biuldings and great retaurants. Pondy to Karnataka, Hill stations tea plantations waterfalls and great accomadation if you have time you could also fit in Bangalore, very metropolitan another good spot!
From there you will need to make some dessions, For my self I would head to Mumbai spend some time in Mumbai its a great city head for bandra its the notting hill of Mumbai, then down to Goa which you know from before, going back the second time is not always as great as you think its going to be, but we are talking about Goa undoubtbly the best spot in India ([note goa and india should be seperate countrys they are nothing alike)
But for me I would save Kerala for last this to is a truly amazing and stunning place, not one person I know has come back from Kerala un satisfied, at some point you will be in Kerela, you must book your self a night on a house boat they are a little costly but worth every penny.
Of course these are just ideas when you get here you will find as with any great trip it dosnt matter how much you plan the best trips are the ones where you go with the flow!
I hope this helps a little, drop us a line any time you have any questions always happy to try and answer them travel safe and keep in touch Best regards Shaun.
P.S sorry about spelling mistakes.

--------------------
TO SAY YOU HAVE LIVED FIRST YOU MUST TRAVEL!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
effie123
post Feb 18 2008, 07:15 AM
Post #18

Drifter

QUOTE(shaun_gooch @ Feb 18 2008, 12:55 AM) *

Hello again Shaun,

Thank you so much there is so much helpful information in there. It has given me a clearer picture of where to head.
So many people have said to me that Kerala is the best and should be saved till last so that sounds like a plan. Slowly but surley im getting a good idea of what i want to fit in inbetween. I think for me North will be the fast paced throw my self in kinda place then plenty of chilling out in the South.
Thanks again I got lots of ideas out of your message.
I will probably be intouch again, if thats ok.

Becky
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
suzanne27
post Mar 11 2008, 07:55 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 138006

there are a lot of hotels available on Goa, like Park Hyatt Goa which is in Arrossim Beach Cansaulim South Goa. It is know for sunny beaches, water sports, and exciting nightlife. Or you can try the Leela in Mobor cavelossim, Salcette Goa. There is a treasure chest full of scenic beauty, heavenly beaches and excellent shopping places in Salcette.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
effie123
post Mar 13 2008, 07:05 AM
Post #20

Drifter

QUOTE(suzanne27 @ Mar 11 2008, 07:55 PM) *

there are a lot of hotels available on Goa, like Park Hyatt Goa which is in Arrossim Beach Cansaulim South Goa. It is know for sunny beaches, water sports, and exciting nightlife. Or you can try the Leela in Mobor cavelossim, Salcette Goa. There is a treasure chest full of scenic beauty, heavenly beaches and excellent shopping places in Salcette.

Wow a stunning choice of hotels but way way way out of my budget!!
I have actully been to the Leela, when I was in Goa last year some friend suggested we go have a drink there to 'see how the other half live'. Its where Sir Paul McCartney proposed to the gold digger. Its a truly stunning place but i think its hundreds of pounds a night!!

Maybe when i win the lottery but until then i will be looking for somthing a little cheaper like £5-10 a night max!!

Thank you for your suggestions though, if i should have some good fortune in the next few months i shall book up one of those!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 03:49 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in India

Agra Hotels
Ahmedabad Hotels
Alappuzha Hotels
Amritsar Hotels
Bangalore Hotels
Bardez Hotels
Bhubaneswar Hotels
Calangute Hotels
Candolim Hotels
Chennai (Madras) Hotels
Darjeeling Hotels
Gangtok Hotels
Goa Hotels
Gurgaon Hotels
Haridwar Hotels
Hyderabad Hotels
Indore Hotels
Jaipur Hotels
Jaisalmer Hotels
Jodhpur Hotels
Kochi Hotels
Kodaikanal Hotels
Kolkata (Calcutta) Hotels
Kovalam Hotels
Manali Hotels
Mumbai (Bombay) Hotels
Munnar Hotels
Mussoorie Hotels
Mysore Hotels
Nainital Hotels
New Delhi Hotels
Ootacamund Hotels
Pondicherry Hotels
Pune Hotels
Salcette Hotels
Shimla Hotels
Srinagar Hotels
Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum) Hotels
Udaipur Hotels
Varanasi Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.