Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buying a phone (pay as you go) in France, Time is of the essence here!
kitkatgo
post Apr 24 2010, 09:17 PM
Post #1

Navigator

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13816

Hello my friends,

I am finally checking out the options (again) of buying vs. renting a phone in France. I have rented in the past (through Verizon, our U.S. carrier), but I prefer not to do that this time.

I would like to have a French cell phone (i.e. with a French phone #) because I need to receive a lot of phone calls from within the country and I don't think they will want to call a U.S. #.

In my research, everyone says, don't rent a phone from the airport; there are a lot of hidden fees. I saw Orange was recommended...and from what I can tell on their website, reasonably priced. Apparently, you can buy a phone for 29 euros that has 30 minutes of time on it. No contract, you just pay as you go.

Does anyone know how easy or difficult this is for a U.S. citizen...to buy one of these phones, I mean?

Also, I get into CDG airport at 7:25 am, and will have to acquire said phone before I have to get to Orly airport for a 4:30 pm flight!

Any advice would be appreciated!

TY smile.gif

--------------------
~Kit
California Local Expert

Visit my travel blogs:
http://www.travelpod.com/members/kitkatgo
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sue_ca
post Apr 26 2010, 04:50 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 950531
Nominate me as a Local Expert

why dont you rent a phone here, in the US, with a french line??? i know they are companies that will rent a "pay as you go" phone, with a french number, or local line from over there, thy will ship it to your house here, you will use it at your will in france, and when you are back,just return the phone and wait for the bill...they are some companies here, the ones that i can rembember, one is renta phone.net and the other one is phonerentalusa.com
good luck and enjoy your trip! speak_cool.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
gyl.johnson
post May 8 2010, 10:17 AM
Post #3

Nomad

Member No.: 89210

I've run into too many people who have bought a phone in their home country which is supposed to international but doesnt work once in France. My best advice...buy a phone once you're in France. Go to Bouygues telecom. Now, its super cheap just to buy a phone with a "pay as you go" plan. No one will care about your nationality or whether or not you live here.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kitkatgo
post May 12 2010, 09:25 AM
Post #4

Navigator

Member No.: 13816

Thank you everyone for your advice. I just got home from my trip late last night.

I bought a phone at an Orange store (which are just about everywhere!) for 29 euros, and it came with 5 euros credit talking time. I also bought extra time then as well.

Later, to recharge, I bought more time at La Poste (post office) and at another Orange store. You can also buy more time at some Tabacs.

So it worked out very well.

speak_cool.gif

--------------------
~Kit
California Local Expert

Visit my travel blogs:
http://www.travelpod.com/members/kitkatgo
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
palmharbor
post Aug 17 2013, 12:05 PM
Post #5

Group: Members
Member No.: 4166853
Nominate me as a Local Expert

QUOTE(sue_ca @ Apr 26 2010, 04:50 PM) *

why dont you rent a phone here, in the US, with a french line??? i know they are companies that will rent a "pay as you go" phone, with a french number, or local line from over there, thy will ship it to your house here, you will use it at your will in france, and when you are back,just return the phone and wait for the bill...they are some companies here, the ones that i can rembember, one is renta phone.net and the other one is phonerentalusa.com
good luck and enjoy your trip! speak_cool.gif

Fine for Paris Hilton.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 03:10 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.