Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oman on a budget?
b2009
post May 24 2008, 02:35 AM
Post #1

Drifter

Group: Members
Member No.: 187629
Nominate me as a Local Expert

So Im traveling to Oman in January maybe with a friend, possibly alone... I plan to go to muscat and salalah (does anyone know if salalah is still pretty green in january?) for sure, but its pretty hard for me to find cheaper accommodation, its all $150 USD, normally i wouldnt complain but this is just one part of a 1 year trip around the world, so im on a budget and really was looking for some half decent hostels or cheap hotels, maybe for $5O USD? Any suggestions, or links? also going to dubai and doha, so any help with cheap accommodation in either of those cities would help as well.

Also what about camping, ive read a lot about how great it is to camp in Oman, but again its hard to find sites for camp grounds, i found one, it was a bedouin style camping experience, but seems like a very guided experience for posh old people, still looks awesome but the prices were up there, and im pretty independent and feel like it could be a very disney version of the desert, again for posh retired people (not that theres anything wrong with that, hah).
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
raniroo
post May 25 2008, 01:25 AM
Post #2

Sightseer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 19411

B2009

I am living in Dubai and doing some travel around the peninsula. Unfortunately accomodation in both places is expensive. Muscat is a wonderful town full of rich history and culture. We stayed at the Beach Hotel, which was a little cheaper (3*). Hiring a car will be a good option and chuck in the camping gear. I believe there is free camping spots along the beaches (but no facilities).

I am heading to Salalah at the end of July. Again we found booking accomoodation expensive, and in the end decided to just splurge on the Crowne. The Kareef season is in July/August. There may be some greenery still around in January but it will be cold. last year it even snowed in the mountains of Oman!

I will post more information on my findings then.

In the meantime, The Residence Guide to Oman and the Arabian Peninsula Lonely Planet may be of use to you.

--------------------
If you really look like your passport photo, you need the holiday!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post May 25 2008, 06:05 AM
Post #3

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 692

I'm heading there on a budget (ish) in October so I'll try to help out once I'm back. I'm pretty sure you can get hotel rooms in most places for about $20-30 but you just need to lower standards and know where to look.

Cheapies in Muscat seem to be in the Mutrah area. Dubai has loads of 0 star hotels are the Bur and Deira areas from what I've heard. Either way I'm just gonna wing it and see what happens!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
b2009
post May 25 2008, 10:04 AM
Post #4

Drifter

hey rich thanks, and please do let me know what you find, its so hard to find anything other than 5 and 4 star in Muscat on the internet.

And Raniroo, thanks for all your info too, we may just rent a car, especially if you can just camp anywhere along the beaches. no one is going to arrest us for sleeping on the beach? hah. thats excellent.
I will have to look more into that and see what we can afford in the way of rental car and gasoline. Because I know that the bus is pretty cheap, dubai to muscat was only like $15 and even cheaper to salalah. So I need to get a visa for Oman but I'm flying into Dubai and taking a bus over to muscat, all the info I have found about obtaining a Visa says that you get one upon arrival at customes at the airport. Do they have this same thing at the boarder if Im coming in by car? I find it doubtful but everything I find says you cant really arrange for one before hand, but again I find that unlikely there has to be a way.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
raniroo
post May 25 2008, 11:52 PM
Post #5

Sightseer

Member No.: 19411

You can get visa's at the boarder for OR6 (approx 60 Dirhams) or OR3 if you have an Emirates Residency Visa. You shouldn't have any hassles doing it, so many people do visa runs from Dubai.

I would suggest hiring a 4WD (check out hiring from Dubai and ensure that insurance covers you taking the car into Oman). Petrol is really cheap here.

Any information I grab while there in July I will post on here under Oman.

--------------------
If you really look like your passport photo, you need the holiday!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
b2009
post May 26 2008, 09:25 AM
Post #6

Drifter

well Im pretty impressed that its so easy to get visa. Please do post any info you come across it would be most helpful. oh and I think we will rent a car, that seems like the best way to really see the country.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
nessy5586
post Mar 17 2009, 12:34 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 272936

If you are looking for a cheap holiday to Oman try the following link.
www.holidayinoman.co.uk

You can win a 6 star luxury holiday to Oman! Cheapish way of getting a free holiday to Oman!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 06:42 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Oman

Al Hadd Hotels
Al Hamra Hotels
Al Mussanah Hotels
Al Qabil Hotels
Ash-Sharqiyah Governorate Hotels
Azaiba Hotels
Bahla' Hotels
Barka Hotels
Buraimi Hotels
Diba Al Bay Ah Hotels
Duqm Hotels
Hail Al Shas Hotels
Ibra Hotels
Ibri Hotels
Khasab Hotels
Masirah Island Hotels
Muscat Hotels
Muscat Hotels
Muttrah Hotels
Nizwa Hotels
Ruwi Hotels
Salalah Hotels
Sohar Hotels
Sultan Qaboos Hotels
Sur Hotels
Wahiba Sands Hotels
Zighy Bay Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.