Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> santiago - beunos aires, advice needed
scott_johnston
post Feb 17 2010, 11:00 AM
Post #1

Wanderer

Group: Members
Member No.: 747111
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi,

My girlfriend and I will be arriving in santiago, chile, at the beginning of july and will be travelling over land (i.e. by bus) to BA, argentina before flying on to OZ.

We have about a month available for this, can anyone suggest some good routes/intinerary for this trip. i will want to see iguaza falls, but are there other must see places/cities/attractions to see.

also how cold will it be at this time of year, will hostels have heating etc.

Thanks
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
corinneconley
post Feb 21 2010, 11:47 PM
Post #2

Expeditionist

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 638491

I don't know specifically anything about this area but this is when you should take advantage of all the travel blogs written about this area! Since there is an option to mark what accommodations people stayed at on the blogs, that can help you on your search. And don't be afraid to contact people!

--------------------
Recent Trips:
New Trails: Buffalo National River

Upcoming Trips:
Oceanside, California (August)
Las Vegas, Nevada (October)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
scott_johnston
post Feb 23 2010, 04:37 PM
Post #3

Wanderer

QUOTE(corinneconley @ Feb 21 2010, 11:47 PM) *

I don't know specifically anything about this area but this is when you should take advantage of all the travel blogs written about this area! Since there is an option to mark what accommodations people stayed at on the blogs, that can help you on your search. And don't be afraid to contact people!

Thanks for the post,

Just getting used to the site so helpful to have these tips, i'll take a look at whats there.
Hopefully on my travels i will be able to add some useful information myself.

cheers
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Feb 23 2010, 06:33 PM
Post #4

Vagabond

Member No.: 30044

Hi Scott,

Firstly, the bus journey from Santiago to Mendoza, Argentina, is BEAUTIFUL!! (So don't fall asleep, and do it in the daytime so you can see it) I loved Mendoza, and if you like red wine, this is the region where about 80% of Argentinian wine is made - lots of vineyards to explore smile.gif

From Mendoza, you could head north via Cordoba, up to Salta. Salta is gorgeous, and being so close to Bolivia, it is really traditional (food and culture) compared to anywhere else in Argentina. You can go from there by bus to Iguazu (I'd recommend doing both sides of the falls - you can do both in a couple of days, basing yourself on the Argentinian side. You need a full day for that side, but taking the local bus across the border to Brazil (around $1) you can do the Brazilian side in a few hours and come back. The Brazilian side gives a panoramic view, while the Argentinian gets you in, round, down, under the falls - amazing! (If you can. I'd recommend doing the Brazilian side first - I did it the opposite way, and although still good, I think it would be better seeing the panoramic view first.

From there, you can head south to Buenos Aires (perhaps going via Uruguay if you have time, as you can go there by bus, then take a boat to BA)

I didn't do Patagonia in Argentina and loads of people rave about it - if I went back, I'd try and cover that, so it may be worth looking into too - though the route I've suggested above would be good in a month, so I'm not sure how you'd fit Patagonia in to that, since it's south Argentina.

Let me know if you have any more Q's. My 'big trip' blog below contains entries from each of the places I've mentioned if you want to see photo's / view what I experienced, but also as Corinne said, you can do searches via the website too which is useful. Happy to answer more Q's though - I could talk about South America all day long if you let me laugh.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
scott_johnston
post Feb 24 2010, 10:58 AM
Post #5

Wanderer

QUOTE(kathryn77 @ Feb 23 2010, 06:33 PM) *

Hi Scott,

Firstly, the bus journey from Santiago to Mendoza, Argentina, is BEAUTIFUL!! (So don't fall asleep, and do it in the daytime so you can see it) I loved Mendoza, and if you like red wine, this is the region where about 80% of Argentinian wine is made - lots of vineyards to explore smile.gif

From Mendoza, you could head north via Cordoba, up to Salta. Salta is gorgeous, and being so close to Bolivia, it is really traditional (food and culture) compared to anywhere else in Argentina. You can go from there by bus to Iguazu (I'd recommend doing both sides of the falls - you can do both in a couple of days, basing yourself on the Argentinian side. You need a full day for that side, but taking the local bus across the border to Brazil (around $1) you can do the Brazilian side in a few hours and come back. The Brazilian side gives a panoramic view, while the Argentinian gets you in, round, down, under the falls - amazing! (If you can. I'd recommend doing the Brazilian side first - I did it the opposite way, and although still good, I think it would be better seeing the panoramic view first.

From there, you can head south to Buenos Aires (perhaps going via Uruguay if you have time, as you can go there by bus, then take a boat to BA)

I didn't do Patagonia in Argentina and loads of people rave about it - if I went back, I'd try and cover that, so it may be worth looking into too - though the route I've suggested above would be good in a month, so I'm not sure how you'd fit Patagonia in to that, since it's south Argentina.

Let me know if you have any more Q's. My 'big trip' blog below contains entries from each of the places I've mentioned if you want to see photo's / view what I experienced, but also as Corinne said, you can do searches via the website too which is useful. Happy to answer more Q's though - I could talk about South America all day long if you let me laugh.gif

Hi Kathryn,

This info is really great, thanks. I would love to go to Patagonia, but as you say, maybe a bit to far, on this trip at least. maybe one day. I'll be sure to read your blog to get a bit more of a feel for what to expect.

Thanks again, and hope to speak to you again

Regards,

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Feb 24 2010, 11:08 AM
Post #6

Tripper

Member No.: 2195

Here's my list of places to visit:
Dawdle through the Central Valley to Lake Llanquihue (Puerto Varas or Frutilar)
Puerto Montt to Puerto Natales through the Chilean fjords by Navimag ferry?
Puerto Natales, Punta Arenas, Usuahia.
North to El Calafate (Perito Moreno Glacier)
Trelew (Valdez Peninsula)
Bariloche
Along the Andes foothills to Mendoza, Cordoba and Salta
Cross the Chaco to Resistencia and Corrientes
Asuncion, Paraguay (you are close, so add a country)
Iguassu Falls
Return from Iguassu Fall by air to Buenos Aires

If you need any specific details, we may be able to help.

Buen Viaje

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Feb 24 2010, 06:39 PM
Post #7

Vagabond

QUOTE(scott_johnston @ Feb 24 2010, 03:58 PM) *

Hi Kathryn,

This info is really great, thanks. I would love to go to Patagonia, but as you say, maybe a bit to far, on this trip at least. maybe one day. I'll be sure to read your blog to get a bit more of a feel for what to expect.

Regards,

Hi Scott, no worries at all, and just noticed you are from Glasgow - I think you must have added that since yesterday, I'd have spotted it otherwise wink.gif (I'm from Greenock)

Anyway, 'mmbcross' who also posted, is a font of knowledge on South America too, so be sure and check his suggestions - I was tempted by Bariloche too, but was put off by the weather as it was deep winter when I was there, which is why I stayed mid to north Argentina.

That made me notice your other questions about temperature and hostel heating that I missed before. The seasons are reversed in South America, so July is winter. In saying that, in mid to north Argentina, it's not like our winter! It's actually quite nice! Like a spring day in Scotland, and hotter than that description in Salta and Iguazu! Mid to south Argentina in winter goes from cold to extremely cold - and public transport is more difficult in winter the further south you go, from what I heard on the 'gringo trail'. Hostels accommodate the climate they are in - I remember even having a fluffy duvet in one in Uruguay! Don't worry about that at all, I never felt cold in hostels.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
scott_johnston
post Feb 25 2010, 04:57 AM
Post #8

Wanderer

QUOTE(kathryn77 @ Feb 24 2010, 06:39 PM) *

QUOTE(scott_johnston @ Feb 24 2010, 03:58 PM) *

Hi Kathryn,

Regards,

Hi Scott, no worries at all, and just noticed you are from Glasgow - I think you must have added that since yesterday, I'd have spotted it otherwise wink.gif (I'm from Greenock)

Anyway, 'mmbcross' who also posted, is a font of knowledge on South America too, so be sure and check his suggestions - I was tempted by Bariloche too, but was put off by the weather as it was deep winter when I was there, which is why I stayed mid to north Argentina.

That made me notice your other questions about temperature and hostel heating that I missed before. The seasons are reversed in South America, so July is winter. In saying that, in mid to north Argentina, it's not like our winter! It's actually quite nice! Like a spring day in Scotland, and hotter than that description in Salta and Iguazu! Mid to south Argentina in winter goes from cold to extremely cold - and public transport is more difficult in winter the further south you go, from what I heard on the 'gringo trail'. Hostels accommodate the climate they are in - I remember even having a fluffy duvet in one in Uruguay! Don't worry about that at all, I never felt cold in hostels.

Hi Kathryn, Yeah, I just updated my personal info. I'm from East Kilbride.

Thanks for the advice on temperatures, i guess that means we can leave our jammies at home then. ha ha. think i will stay, as you say, mid to north argentina, will try and go back some time in the summer to check out patagonia.

We have a huge trip planned, so far now i'll keep researching and looking at the guides on travelpod. No doubt I'll be posting other questions as well though.

Thanks again
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
scott_johnston
post Feb 25 2010, 05:00 AM
Post #9

Wanderer

QUOTE(mmbcross @ Feb 24 2010, 11:08 AM) *

Here's my list of places to visit:
Dawdle through the Central Valley to Lake Llanquihue (Puerto Varas or Frutilar)
Puerto Montt to Puerto Natales through the Chilean fjords by Navimag ferry?
Puerto Natales, Punta Arenas, Usuahia.
North to El Calafate (Perito Moreno Glacier)
Trelew (Valdez Peninsula)
Bariloche
Along the Andes foothills to Mendoza, Cordoba and Salta
Cross the Chaco to Resistencia and Corrientes
Asuncion, Paraguay (you are close, so add a country)
Iguassu Falls
Return from Iguassu Fall by air to Buenos Aires

If you need any specific details, we may be able to help.

Buen Viaje

Hi mmbcross,

Thanks for the tips, haven't looked at much in chile outside of santiago, so good to get some ideas

Thanks
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Feb 25 2010, 07:41 PM
Post #10

Vagabond

QUOTE(scott_johnston @ Feb 25 2010, 09:57 AM) *

Thanks for the advice on temperatures, i guess that means we can leave our jammies at home then. ha ha. think i will stay, as you say, mid to north argentina, will try and go back some time in the summer to check out patagonia.

We have a huge trip planned, so far now i'll keep researching and looking at the guides on travelpod. No doubt I'll be posting other questions as well though.

Thanks again

Well, that's not quite 'Glasgow' either laugh.gif but I understand laugh.gif

Well I wasn't saying "leave your jammies at home" - depends on the type of hostel room you're going to get! Some couples do opt for dorm rooms in favour of privates, to save money at parts of their trip - you'se will be able to afford to have a private room in South America, but I saw you're going to Oz too - that will be more difficult - Oz kills a traveller's budget in my opinion!

Where else have you got in mind for the "huge trip"??! (btw. just as a warning, I planned to stay in South America 3 months, and stayed for....nine....! laugh.gif hope you have open minds!!)

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
scott_johnston
post Feb 27 2010, 11:37 AM
Post #11

Wanderer

QUOTE(kathryn77 @ Feb 25 2010, 07:41 PM) *

QUOTE(scott_johnston @ Feb 25 2010, 09:57 AM) *

Thanks again

Well, that's not quite 'Glasgow' either laugh.gif but I understand laugh.gif

Well I wasn't saying "leave your jammies at home" - depends on the type of hostel room you're going to get! Some couples do opt for dorm rooms in favour of privates, to save money at parts of their trip - you'se will be able to afford to have a private room in South America, but I saw you're going to Oz too - that will be more difficult - Oz kills a traveller's budget in my opinion!

Where else have you got in mind for the "huge trip"??! (btw. just as a warning, I planned to stay in South America 3 months, and stayed for....nine....! laugh.gif hope you have open minds!!)

i think we'll be quite happy using dorms, especially in more expensive countries like oz, new zealand, america and japan.

trying to save money in these countries is a concern. hopefully we can afford as we'll be keeping costs down in other place ( south america, india, south east asia etc), even though we'll be wanting some private rooms at times there.

i'm sure we'll pick up lots of tips on reducing costs on our travels, just hope we learn quickly, would hate to run out of cash before the year is up.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Feb 27 2010, 03:50 PM
Post #12

Tripper

Member No.: 2195

Hello Scott,

By now you will have heard of the devastating earthquake in Southern Chile. My I say right now, do not change any of your plans. Although the outcome of the quake has been tragic, it is even more tragic when visitors cancel their trips because of this. Chile needs every visitor now, more than ever.

I visited Chile some months after the most powerful earthquake ever recorded, Valdivia, May 1960. In spite of everything, cleaning up and reconstruction had already started. Although things won't be totally back to normal by June, by then you will be able to travel throughout the country without too many problems.

Chileans are a resilient people, and like most South Americans, incredibly friendly and hospitable. Don't abandon them now. Keep on truckin'. They will love you for it.

I see you want to drop Patagonia for a future visit. In this case I would travel down the Central Valley to Puerto Montt, visit the lovely towns on Lake Llanquihue (Puerto Varas, featured in this year's The Amazing Race). Then do the stunning lake crossing to Bariloche. You will be travelling through the Andes on the lowest transcontinental pass in the hemisphere, but you will still see plenty of snow. Arrive in Bariloche at the beginning of the ski season.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
scott_johnston
post Feb 28 2010, 08:37 AM
Post #13

Wanderer

QUOTE(mmbcross @ Feb 27 2010, 03:50 PM) *

Hello Scott,

By now you will have heard of the devastating earthquake in Southern Chile. My I say right now, do not change any of your plans. Although the outcome of the quake has been tragic, it is even more tragic when visitors cancel their trips because of this. Chile needs every visitor now, more than ever.

I visited Chile some months after the most powerful earthquake ever recorded, Valdivia, May 1960. In spite of everything, cleaning up and reconstruction had already started. Although things won't be totally back to normal by June, by then you will be able to travel throughout the country without too many problems.

Chileans are a resilient people, and like most South Americans, incredibly friendly and hospitable. Don't abandon them now. Keep on truckin'. They will love you for it.

I see you want to drop Patagonia for a future visit. In this case I would travel down the Central Valley to Puerto Montt, visit the lovely towns on Lake Llanquihue (Puerto Varas, featured in this year's The Amazing Race). Then do the stunning lake crossing to Bariloche. You will be travelling through the Andes on the lowest transcontinental pass in the hemisphere, but you will still see plenty of snow. Arrive in Bariloche at the beginning of the ski season.

Hi mmbcross,

I definetely will not be changing my plans. I hope everyone else that has plans to visit this year does the same. My best wishes go to all those affected by the earthqake.

Thanks again for all your helpfull advice. some great links too.

Thanks and regards,

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Mar 1 2010, 07:15 PM
Post #14

Vagabond

QUOTE(scott_johnston @ Feb 27 2010, 04:37 PM) *

i think we'll be quite happy using dorms, especially in more expensive countries like oz, new zealand, america and japan.

trying to save money in these countries is a concern. hopefully we can afford as we'll be keeping costs down in other place ( south america, india, south east asia etc), even though we'll be wanting some private rooms at times there.

i'm sure we'll pick up lots of tips on reducing costs on our travels, just hope we learn quickly, would hate to run out of cash before the year is up.

You have the right attitude, about saving in the cheap places - I was going to just say though - not to get carried away in South America - although much cheaper than some of the other places you'll go, it is your first destination, and I remember arriving (loads of people do it!) thinking "Whoah, so cheap, of course I can afford to do x" - which might be true, but you don't want it to interfere with the rest of your plans, as it all adds up. In saying that, you'll for sure be able to get private rooms cheaply in SA

QUOTE(scott_johnston @ Feb 28 2010, 01:37 PM) *

I definetely will not be changing my plans. I hope everyone else that has plans to visit this year does the same. My best wishes go to all those affected by the earthqake.

I'm so happy to hear that you're not changing your plans. I 100% agree with Martin and tourism returning quickly will really help to rebuild what's been destroyed speak_cool.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kiwi_surfer
post May 3 2010, 06:15 PM
Post #15

Nomad

Member No.: 274279

my 2 cents. if you go to chile. go to pucon and climb an active volcano. you have guids etc its about $c30,000 chilean pesos for a guid. I did it myself for allot cheaper.

The climb itself is wonderful, at the top you peer down to see lava which splirts out. I was there um, about a week ago, here is an entry on Just climbing the volcano Villarrica that i wrote with pics of the lava etc and a few videos

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entri...03207/tpod.html

there is a lovley city close to santiago called valpariso or valp for short, i havent written an entry on that yet. its on the coast.

chile was wonderful for hiking.. but youl be going after the hiking season is finished.

im about to go from santiago to BsAs myself. im going to stop by at mendoza and Cordoba(to see friends) you should visit salat up north or even uni(wrong spelling) in bolivia. biggest salt flats in the world. or atacama in northen chile(dryest dessert in the world) if you go to pucon.. then you might aswel go to Bariloche.

hope this helps.

swerte

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st August 2014 - 12:37 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Argentina

Buenos Aires Hotels
Cafayate Hotels
Capilla del Monte Hotels
Carilo Hotels
Chacras de Coria Hotels
Cordoba Hotels
Corrientes Hotels
El Bolson Hotels
El Calafate Hotels
El Chalten Hotels
Esquel Hotels
La Cumbre Hotels
La Falda Hotels
Mar del Plata Hotels
Mendoza Hotels
Neuquen Hotels
Pilar Hotels
Pinamar Hotels
Puerto Iguazu Hotels
Puerto Madryn Hotels
Puerto Piramides Hotels
Purmamarca Hotels
Rosario Hotels
Salta Hotels
San Antonio de Areco Hotels
San Carlos de Bariloche Hotels
San Juan Hotels
San Martin de los Andes Hotels
San Miguel de Tucuman Hotels
San Rafael Hotels
San Salvador de Jujuy Hotels
Santa Fe Hotels
Tigre Hotels
Tilcara Hotels
Trelew Hotels
Ushuaia Hotels
Villa Carlos Paz Hotels
Villa General Belgrano Hotels
Villa Gesell Hotels
Villa La Angostura Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.