Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> FETHİYE, THİNGS TO KNOW ABOUT FETHİYE
mttravel
post Dec 30 2009, 11:55 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 616761
Nominate me as a Local Expert

History of Fethiye
Fethiye or Telmessos as was known in the ancient times was an important harbour in the Lycian and Karyan border. Although there are no documented evidences, it is believed that this area dates back as far back as the Trojan War. According to Philosophical facts the city was born in the 6 century B.C. The origin of his name “Telmessos” is explained with a Lycian legend that says that in the early years of the Trojan War, the Lycian god Apollo fells in love with the timid daughter of the King of Finike, Agenor. To attract to the girls, Apollo disguises himself as a small a lovable dog, once the girl was attracted, the god revealed its real appearance and seduced her. As a result of that love was born Telmessos, and in his honour was founded the city of Telmessos.

During the Lycian times the city was called Telebehi, as it can be seen in the translations of the Lycian language of the coins found, that were minted in the 5th century.

Telemessos was invaded by the Persian King Harpagos in 547 B.C. and annexed to the Delian Confederation like the other Lycian and Carian cities. In the tribute list of this time Telmessos appear as an independent city and is listed separately of the other Lycian cities. During the reign of the Lycian Pericles the region was besieged in the 4th century and fells under the Lycian sovereignty. There are two versions of how the city was captured by Alexander the Great in his invasion of Anatolia during the winter of 334-333 B.C., one of they mention that the city has surrender to him for its own will, an the second mention that was invaded by the commander Nekros, who having asked the permission of Antipatrides, the governor of the city, to enter with his musicians and slaves, captured the city in the festivities held in the night with the guns that were hidden in flutes and boxes.

In 189 B.C. Romans passed the city to the sovereignty of Eumenes, the King of Bergama (Pergamun). After the end of Pergamene Kingdom, the city returned to the Romans power and included in the Roman province of Asia. At the ends of the 1st century the city become as member of the Lycian League and shared the fate of the other Lycian cities. During the Byzantine times the city had some importance until the Arabics raids in the 7th century. In the 8th century the city was renamed Anastasiapolis in honour of Anastasius II and afterwards took the name of Makri, which meant 'far city' in Greek. During the Ottoman period, the city was renamed to Megri, and finally took its actual name of Fethiye in commemoration to the first Turkish pilot, Fethi Bey in 1934.

THİNGS TO DO

Blue Lagoon

It's literally the most beautiful beach i have ever been to. The water is still, warm, the beach is sandy and miniature pebbles, there are enormous quantities of pines, pam trees and olives all around, the colours of the sea are amazing...
There are several bars, toilettes, places to rent pedal boats, canoa and water sports cabin, also the beds and sunshade umbrellas are for rent - 3 million per piece!!!
Everything is so perfect, except for the sun that disappears quite soon (around 4.30 in October), behind the hill protecting the lagoon! But you can always pick your things up and move over to the other side of the beach. wink.gif
There are even ducks in the shade beside the water, in quiet corners!
Everything is so clean, neat and well kept.
To enter the lagoon, you have to pay the entrance fee of 2 million Turkish Liras (1 euro = 1,8 million, 1US$ = 1,5 million).
Here you can see it well from the air.

Saklikent

Saklikent is a wonderful canyon in the mountains behind Fethiye, recently discovered, only about 10 years ago or so. Saklikent means "hidden place" or something like that, it was created to attract tourists. smile.gif)
The canyon is 300m deep and there is a stream of river that if you want to cross, you´ll face a powerful stream of ice cold water, but it´s well worth walking the path, the scenery is amaying, like in Indiana Jones movies (again!)
It´s about 50km away from Fethiye and the landscapes that you cross while passing by on your way there are breathtaking! I especially loved the cotton fields and sesame lent with the high mountains with snow peaks behind.

Butterfly Valley

A very beautiful beach and valley that can be reached only by boat (there is a boat service from Ölüdeniz three times per day), a place where hundreds of species of butterflies stay from spring to autumn, and great hiking trails in the hills behind, including waterfalls and lots of exuberant Mediterranean vegetation and animals.
There is Robinson holiday resort, where you can camp or stay in straw&wood made mini cabins. There is no water, electricity or any trace of civilization!
But, there is a bar on the rocks, called Rock Bar.

Kaya Village

Kaya village, or ghost town is a place that is abandoned after great Greek-Turkish migrations. Before, Greek people used to live there, and after the wars with Turkey, they went back to Greece, and Turks from Greece came back to Turkey. But instead of settling in Kayaköy that was abandoned by Greeks, they settled in the Egean area of Turkey as the climate was more suitable to what they got used to back in Greece. thus the Kaya village remained abandoned definitely and with years it was ruined. Nowadays there are pleanty of ruined houses and churches, but it´s not a dead place, since there are various feasts, rpograms and belly dances ever day, as well as horse riding and trekking. There is a wonderful trail down to Fethiye and Ölüdeniz as well, from Kayaköy. It can also be reached by dolmus bus from Hisarönü.

12 Island Tour

The most popular boat tour out of Fethiye harbour is the "12 Island Tour". A wonderful day of sailing around the turquoise coastline and stopping off at several places for swimming and exploring. With lunch included on the boat its a great day out.
The tour may vary slightly from boat to boat but usually comprises of stops at the following places:

Gobun Bay or Cavy Bay
Cleopatra's Baths
Dockyard Island
The Flat Islands
Red Island or Samanlik bay

Amphitheatre

Almost at the marina, there is an ancient Lycian amphitheatre. There is almost nobody around and it's situated next to the houses, as if it was nothing. It's rather small, but still, a pretty monument. However, nobody seems to care for it. sad.gif
You can see it on the left.

St.Nicholas island

St.Nicholas was born in Turkey, in the Fethiye-Antalya area, and there are many places around connected to him or dedicated to him. one of them is St.Nicholas island, between Fethiye and Ölüdeniz. It's a rather small island full of ancient ruins, with churches, tombs and water cisterns from thousands of years ago. Some mosaics and frescos are still well preserved.
VERY USEFUL: If your boat stops at the "nose" of the island where is the charging point, you'll have to pay a few million liras to enter and see the ruins. But if it is anchored at the back, you still get to see the same thing, but pay nothing!

Lycian tombs

Lykia was peculiar also for the way of buring people. According to their invocation, there were three basic types of tombs. All of them were carved into the mountains. If the deceased was a priest, his tomb was in the shape of a temple. If he was a sailorman, it was a ship shaped tomb (sort of sarcophagus), and if the was an ordinary man/woman, they were buried in the house-shaped tomb.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Dec 30 2009, 11:59 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

I had to move this to the Turkey forum. Thank you for joining the Local Expert team, mttravel.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mttravel
post Dec 30 2009, 12:15 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Dec 30 2009, 11:59 AM) *

I had to move this to the Turkey forum. Thank you for joining the Local Expert team, mttravel.

thanks i hope i can help people about fethiye...
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
manzara
post Dec 30 2009, 01:24 PM
Post #4

Sightseer

Group: Local Expert
From: Çeşme, Western Turkey. One of Turkey's best-kept secrets
Member No.: 262135

Welcome to the Forum from me, too. I am sure you will lots of valuable information on the Fethiye region.

Before moving to Turkey (Çeşme / İzmir) over twelve years ago, we enjoyed two great holidays with the family near Fethiye - a lovely town We actually stayed at Çalış Beach and I remember particular highlights. Visits to Olüdeniz (we prefer the quieter lagoon side!) and Kara Köyü and of course a cruise round the islands.

--------------------
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"
Lao-tzy, Chinese Philosopher (604 - 531 BC)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mttravel
post Dec 30 2009, 02:01 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(manzara @ Dec 30 2009, 01:24 PM) *

Welcome to the Forum from me, too. I am sure you will lots of valuable information on the Fethiye region.

Before moving to Turkey (Çeşme / İzmir) over twelve years ago, we enjoyed two great holidays with the family near Fethiye - a lovely town We actually stayed at Çalış Beach and I remember particular highlights. Visits to Olüdeniz (we prefer the quieter lagoon side!) and Kara Köyü and of course a cruise round the islands.

fethiye has changed and developed a little more every day fethiye continues to grow, especially in tourism, especially marine tourism is well developed and can be compared with a few years in particular have become basement.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 07:55 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.