Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bus Travel in Peru and Bolivia
bevj
post Apr 6 2011, 09:40 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1134431
Nominate me as a Local Expert

We are a fit, mature couple planning to travel independently to Peru and Bolivia next May for about 5-6 weeks. I have been reading travel advice from various sources but would like to know from fellow travellers whether the bus routes and journeys through the mountains are really as scary as they sound!! We want to use buses rather than flights so that we see more. Can anyone recommend a good company to use in either country? Are there any routes to avoid?
We also want to take an Amazon tour in Bolivia but are on a budget. Any suggestions for a reliable tour company to use that isn't totally basic? Thanks.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Apr 7 2011, 05:22 PM
Post #2

Vagabond

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 30044

Hi Bevj

I used the bus everywhere in Peru and Bolivia. Most of the journeys I did in Peru were overnight - which is probably better, because if I'm honest, it's better it's dark and you trust the driver, as it's a lot of mountain driving! (I did one in daylight and was a bit scared!) I can't remember the name of the companies off the top of my head, but if you go to the bus stations it's quite obvious which ones are better quality. I must say, the quality of buses was amazing. If you were to =select the most premium seat on a Peru bus overnight, it will recline right back like a bed! In Bolivia the journey's I did were more daytime and the transport much more basic. I don'tthink there were any named companies.

Hope that's helped a bit :-)

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bevj
post Apr 8 2011, 03:05 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(kathryn77 @ Apr 7 2011, 05:22 PM) *

Hi Bevj

I used the bus everywhere in Peru and Bolivia. Most of the journeys I did in Peru were overnight - which is probably better, because if I'm honest, it's better it's dark and you trust the driver, as it's a lot of mountain driving! (I did one in daylight and was a bit scared!) I can't remember the name of the companies off the top of my head, but if you go to the bus stations it's quite obvious which ones are better quality. I must say, the quality of buses was amazing. If you were to =select the most premium seat on a Peru bus overnight, it will recline right back like a bed! In Bolivia the journey's I did were more daytime and the transport much more basic. I don'tthink there were any named companies.

Hope that's helped a bit :-)

Hi Kathryn
Thanks for your honesty! I think I would be awake all night if i took the night bus! I know the reclining seat buses you mean cos we had them in Vietnam. I think we will have to go on the principle that the more expensive the bus the more they will want to take care of it!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Apr 10 2011, 03:33 PM
Post #4

Vagabond

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 30044

No worries, I just remembered something else too - they give you a meal on the long-distance Peru buses, and I also played a game of bingo on one, and I won! I remember thinking I was going to be so embarrassed if I'd got my Spanish numbers wrong, but I hadn't, well done me!

And I remembered the name of one of the bus companies I used, which was very good - it's Cruz del Sur.

Enjoy it, I'm so jealous, Peru is one of my favourite countries! (And I loved Bolivia too)

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bevj
post Apr 11 2011, 05:54 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(kathryn77 @ Apr 10 2011, 03:33 PM) *

No worries, I just remembered something else too - they give you a meal on the long-distance Peru buses, and I also played a game of bingo on one, and I won! I remember thinking I was going to be so embarrassed if I'd got my Spanish numbers wrong, but I hadn't, well done me!

And I remembered the name of one of the bus companies I used, which was very good - it's Cruz del Sur.

Enjoy it, I'm so jealous, Peru is one of my favourite countries! (And I loved Bolivia too)

Thanks for recommendation. Very helpful! I think we will definitely do Peru (Buses sound fab!)and maybe a more limited version of Bolivia.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
andyncharly2011
post May 13 2011, 03:50 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1774331

Hi
I can only talk for Bolivia but the buses we have taken here have had no problems so far. Touch wood smile.gif We are currently in la paz and about to head up into peru. If you are going to visit the salt flats in Bolivia a good company from la paz is called todo turismo. They have an office in la paz and a website, although you canīt buy direct through it, you can only reserve. They are a little more expensive at 230 bolivianos but we felt completely safe and their trips are always at night. They are semi-cama and include food as well, although that isnīt anything spectacular.

If you are a light sleeper you may want to purchase some sleeping tablets as well, the roads can be very bumpy at times along certain routes.

Hope that helps

Andy
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bevj
post May 15 2011, 03:55 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(andyncharly2011 @ May 13 2011, 03:50 PM) *

Hi
I can only talk for Bolivia but the buses we have taken here have had no problems so far. Touch wood smile.gif We are currently in la paz and about to head up into peru. If you are going to visit the salt flats in Bolivia a good company from la paz is called todo turismo. They have an office in la paz and a website, although you canīt buy direct through it, you can only reserve. They are a little more expensive at 230 bolivianos but we felt completely safe and their trips are always at night. They are semi-cama and include food as well, although that isnīt anything spectacular.

If you are a light sleeper you may want to purchase some sleeping tablets as well, the roads can be very bumpy at times along certain routes.

Hope that helps

Andy

Thanks for your tips. We don't mind paying a bit more to feel safe, although I'm not sure if I fancy night trips! P'raps it's better if you can't see what's happening! Great to have more info on Bolivia...
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 09:46 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Bolivia

Bermejo Hotels
Calama Hotels
Caranavi Hotels
Cobija Hotels
Cochabamba Hotels
Comarapa Hotels
Concepcion Hotels
Copacabana Hotels
Coroico Hotels
Huatajata Hotels
Isla del Sol Hotels
La Paz Hotels
Laguna Colorada Hotels
Oruro Hotels
Potosi Hotels
Puerto Quijarro Hotels
Puerto Suarez Hotels
Quime Hotels
Reyes Hotels
Robore Hotels
Rurrenabaque Hotels
Sabaya Hotels
Samaipata Hotels
San Ignacio de Velasco Hotels
San Jose de Chiquitos Hotels
San Miguel Hotels
Santa Cruz Hotels
Sorata Hotels
Sucre Hotels
Tahua Hotels
Tarija Hotels
Tomarapi Hotels
Trinidad Hotels
Tupiza Hotels
Urmiri Hotels
Uyuni Hotels
Vallegrande Hotels
Villamontes Hotels
Yacuiba Hotels
Yolosa Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.