Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to tackle England??
aprilcandice
post Jan 12 2011, 04:24 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1625391

Hey everybody,

I am starting my first big trip in England later this year and I am not really sure what to do and see, any help on where to start would be greatly appreciated.

User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rossport
post Jan 12 2011, 05:26 AM
Post #2

Pathfinder

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 202074

G'day aprilcandice,

When are you go and how long are you going for, are u into history culture or just a general sticky beak.

Try and fly into say Scotland first and then have a look around there do the cities and such then work your way thru the mid country across to Wales and then down to the bottom of England but as I said it all depends on what u are after if u are driving backpacking etc. I have a heap of links etc and a good little pub to stay in in a place called Bloxham just out side of Banbury is a good base for seeing the cotswolds etc, ok hope others can help with suggestions if not give me a yell and we will work together on an itinerary smile.gif.

We are planing to be back in England in 2012 and i am looking at doing Devon and Cornwall only this trip

Cheers Stewart
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
aprilcandice
post Jan 12 2011, 05:45 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1625391

I am heading over in June and looking to be there for at least a year maybe two if I can find enough work, I have family in London so I will be flying in to heathrow and spending some time there with them, but Im not too keen on big city's so I want to get out into the countryside and do lots of walking and visiting all the sights. I wont have any transport and will be backpacking most of the trip, hoping I can find some agricultural or bar work in a nice place to base myself while I have a look around at as much as I can. I really want to have a good look through wales and definitely Scotland as my grandmother is Scottish.

I will definately have a look into Bloxam, thank you.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rossport
post Jan 12 2011, 05:53 AM
Post #4

Pathfinder

Member No.: 202074

Shes Apples lass and Wales is awesome the transport is not bad we paid 15 quid to go from Leicester to London on the bus so that's not bad a 4 hour journey, and if u have family u might get a working visa as u have British heritage, give you an idea of Wales and Scotland check out my round the world in 77days blog and head to the British part it will give u an idea of what is there to see smile.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
nixsboys
post Jan 15 2011, 04:53 AM
Post #5

Globetrotter

Member No.: 80958

Well you have plenty to see here in the UK. If you are flying into London I am sure your family will be showing your around. But have a look at the Starter Kit for London for some ideas.

If you like walking and the countryside you should head up to the Lake Districts. It really is beautiful and you might even find some barwork out there to extend your stay. As Stewart mentioned the Cotswold's is also great but you would mainly need a car to go around this area as there are lots of little lanes and villages to explore.

In terms of transport the trains can be expensive if you do not book in advance but you can get some good deals on the buses. National Express often have 5 deals on their trips, a little longer to get around but you can always have a look at the Scenary.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
douglas87
post Feb 4 2011, 05:01 AM
Post #6

Drifter

Member No.: 789711

Hello,
England is very nice place to travel there are so many things out there that you can travel out there.

good luck!!

+Quote Post
franticfran
post Mar 28 2013, 04:35 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 3657953

As the others have said, the UK has lots to see and do. I agree with nixsboys - buses are a cheaper way to travel and megabus is cheaper than national express although they only go to the big cities. From London you should definitely visit the south coast - Sussex is beautiful - look into Beachy Head and the Seven Sisters, Brighton and Chichester. Then further along the New Forest is definitely worth a visit. Cornwall is also stunning with beautiful coastlines. Wales again has lovely coastlines and countryside. All the national parks naturally have their own beauty. Places like York and Durham are lovely as is the countryside in Northumberland. Although I have not yet got that far, Scotland is meant to be beautiful too. So really you will find something wherever you go. Just need to look into exactly what you want to see.

--------------------
ariviGo.com

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." (Saint Augustine)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 08:38 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.