Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bridge collapses on Dublin to Belfast trainline, Closed for at least 3 months
kathryn77
post Aug 22 2009, 10:15 AM
Post #1

Vagabond

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 30044

Add some more time to your journey if you are planning on taking the train between Dublin and Belfast in the next 3 months.

A bridge collapsed on the trainline last night - luckily no fatalities - and there will be a bus replacement service operating between Dublin and Drogheda until it is fixed.

Article here

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Aug 24 2009, 10:22 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

Wow, that sucks! Let us know what happens with the investigation.

We had a similar thing happen here in Montreal, a car overpass collapse and some people died. Later they found out the city was employing corrupt contractors to build the bridge, who charge a lot and use shoddy materials. So watch out for that!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Aug 24 2009, 01:35 PM
Post #3

Vagabond

Yep - glad I just walk to work - the news reports were reporting traffic chaos today - the bridge isn't far out of Dublin, so lots of people would be commuting into the city from there, and it's all bus replacements.

They were saying today they'll have to replace the whole bridge - reckon it might be longer than 3 months.

On a positive note, at least there were no fatalities, and they were also saying on the news the train driver who spotted the subsidence as he was crossing it, who then reported it to avert later tragedy may get an award smile.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Sep 10 2009, 04:24 PM
Post #4

Vagabond

Reports today 'suggest' this may be fixed by November...will keep you posted...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rakovict
post Sep 23 2009, 05:48 PM
Post #5

Group: Members
Member No.: 106347
Nominate me as a Local Expert

QUOTE(kathryn77 @ Sep 10 2009, 04:24 PM) *

Reports today 'suggest' this may be fixed by November...will keep you posted...

Yes they say they will be done by November.. Makes me wonder though if they fix it so fast how long will this one last? The bridge was not a bridge really.. but tracks on some stones and earth surrounded by moving water which eroded the land underneath it causing it to collapse. A week before the incident two people were sailing near there and notices unusual water movement like it was passing from one side to the other they notified the authorities who then just looked down from the train while it was passing and said everything was fine. then it collapsed and was a big surprise. I dont know if I will ever feel safe going over that small piece of water again. I live in Balbriggan and unfortunately have to commute to Dublin every single day. unsure.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Sep 25 2009, 03:23 PM
Post #6

Vagabond

Oh dear, you must be having a nightmare of a journey at the moment then?! It is pretty risky alright, though I'd say they'd have to get this right - if it happened again there would be uproar!

It's taking them about 7 months to fit the new bridge across the Liffey - and that's already built! All they're doing is joining it south to north side blink.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rakovict
post Sep 25 2009, 04:20 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(kathryn77 @ Sep 25 2009, 03:23 PM) *

Oh dear, you must be having a nightmare of a journey at the moment then?! It is pretty risky alright, though I'd say they'd have to get this right - if it happened again there would be uproar!

It's taking them about 7 months to fit the new bridge across the Liffey - and that's already built! All they're doing is joining it south to north side blink.gif

Well its actually not so bad here in Balbriggan they have special buses running in the mornings from 6.30 till 8.30 and in the evenings from Dublin from 4.25 to 6.30.. but if you are stuck in Dublin later than that then its either crappy Dublin Bus or Bus Eireann where you pay 5 euro per journey.. wacko.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Sep 28 2009, 04:06 PM
Post #8

Vagabond

QUOTE(rakovict @ Sep 25 2009, 10:20 PM) *

Well its actually not so bad here in Balbriggan they have special buses running in the mornings from 6.30 till 8.30 and in the evenings from Dublin from 4.25 to 6.30.. but if you are stuck in Dublin later than that then its either crappy Dublin Bus or Bus Eireann where you pay 5 euro per journey.. wacko.gif

I guess that makes you leave work at a decent time then wink.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rakovict
post Sep 29 2009, 02:40 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(kathryn77 @ Sep 28 2009, 04:06 PM) *

QUOTE(rakovict @ Sep 25 2009, 10:20 PM) *

I guess that makes you leave work at a decent time then wink.gif

Haha:) Yes it does:) party.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Nov 16 2009, 04:11 PM
Post #10

Vagabond

The railway line is now open again - and fixed in the '3 month' suggested schedule!

Dublin - Belfast by train

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Jan 11 2010, 04:34 PM
Post #11

Vagabond

Not in Dublin, it didn't. offtopic.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th September 2014 - 06:58 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.