Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Barcelona: Love it or hate it?, Tell me why...
kitkatgo
post Mar 2 2010, 01:15 PM
Post #1

Navigator

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13816

There's something curious about Barcelona...

When I have read posts, or talked to people who have been to Barcelona, they either loved it or hated it.

WHY?

I fall in the hate camp. My whole family hated it. We couldn't wait to leave and get on with the France portion of our trip.

It's the *only* place I've ever traveled to where I felt this way. I had good expectations going in.

So tell me your experiences. Love or hate? Why?

--------------------
~Kit
California Local Expert

Visit my travel blogs:
http://www.travelpod.com/members/kitkatgo
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Mar 2 2010, 08:20 PM
Post #2

Vagabond

Member No.: 30044

I LOVED it!

Why? I think because I went for a weekend trip and I hadn't planned too far in advance / had no expectations. So then, when I got there, the architecture / Park Guell really had me open jawed. I was also there in a February, so it was off-season and not as many 'tourists' which is always what I prefer. My boyfriend and I also found some back-streets with local restaurants that were really lovely and traditional too. I found it a really accessible city break, with cultural and traditional pro's to complement smile.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
will
post Mar 2 2010, 11:07 PM
Post #3

Expeditionist

Member No.: 952

I loved it as well. My girlfriend and I went there for 5 days and had a fantastic time. Saw all the Gaudi sights, explored the centre and some of the parks around the city. The weather was fantastic for the most part as well.

Sure, there were plenty of tourists, but it is Europe. What do you expect?

I've never met anyone who hated Barcelona, and I'd be interested to hear why you do.

--------------------
"I should like to spend my whole life traveling, if only I could borrow another to spend at home" - William Hazlitt

You can see my travelblog here!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travelmonster
post Mar 3 2010, 04:41 AM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 101826

I'm another fan of Barcelona. I've been a few times and always had a great time.

It's an easy place to just wander around looking at the architecture and I love the cathedral in the medieval district, it's amazing.

Then there's the fruit and veg market and as Kathryn said, the back streets with lots of delicious food to be found. Yeah, I love it.

--------------------
In Search Of ...........

"Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment sparkling like a star in our hand -- and melting like a snowflake" - Marie Beynon Ray
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lifestylebcn
post Mar 10 2010, 10:48 AM
Post #5

Wanderer

Group: Members
Member No.: 314961
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Of course love it! The best atmosphere, sightseeing, Spanish people, food, activities...
Why did you hate it? Did you have a bad hotel? Or something particular happened?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kitkatgo
post Mar 10 2010, 03:17 PM
Post #6

Navigator

Well, we liked the place we stayed; we rented a small apartment just off of Las Ramblas. The sightseeing was pretty good. I really liked the big market, the concert we went to in one of the old churches, and the park (La Ciutadella --sp?), and the Gaudi and other architecture. Nothing really blew me away though. The food was ok, some good, some just ok.

But I guess what turned me off were the people. We came across so many rude people I couldn't believe it. The nice, helpful ones were the exception. I wasn't expecting that at ALL. But it seemed like everywhere we went something would happen, but I have no idea why. I think perhaps it's just a difference in culture. I don't know.

It frustrates me though, not understanding. And like I said, I know others have had the same experiences (good and bad). I just wish I could understand why there is such a difference. blink.gif

--------------------
~Kit
California Local Expert

Visit my travel blogs:
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lifestylebcn
post Mar 11 2010, 04:22 AM
Post #7

Wanderer

Member No.: 314961

Well, I understand... Barcelona is Catalonia so it is a specific region of Spain. People are a bit different than maybe in south of Spain..But also you should remember that Barcelona is full of tourists and there are some people who are not really fond of them - looks like you just met them.. wink.gif but the city has so much to offer that everyone should find something suitbale for him or herself. Probably you are not planning to come back but if, then maybe you should research some more what you would like to do/see apart from sightseeing. Thanks for sharing for comments! Good luck!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kitkatgo
post Mar 11 2010, 01:29 PM
Post #8

Navigator

Yes, that could be...maybe we just ran into the wrong people. We were there in November, so it wasn't a big tourist season. I have heard that it's different in other parts of Spain.

Maybe some day I can go back and have a different experience...

Thanks for your input. smile.gif

--------------------
~Kit
California Local Expert

Visit my travel blogs:
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
skylab
post May 5 2010, 07:09 PM
Post #9

World Traveler

Member No.: 228012

They lost a soccer game so not sure how i feel about this city anymore LOL

--------------------
DJSkylab.com: My blog :)
ArtOfBackpacking.com: Backpacking Independent International Traveler
Facebook
"They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself." -Andy Warhol
"My body has certainly wandered a good deal, but I have an uneasy suspicion that my mind has not wandered enough." -Noel Coward
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
claireluton2010
post Jun 22 2010, 05:52 AM
Post #10

Drifter

Member No.: 1084161

I think Barcelona's a great city; very vibrant with nice places to eat and go out. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it but maybe if you visited at a different time of year, you may enjoy it more then. If not, hopefully a different part of Spain might appeal to you.

Claire
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kitkatgo
post Jun 23 2010, 09:23 PM
Post #11

Navigator

I know. So many people do love it.

It's true, perhaps on a different trip I would have a different opinion of it. I do think I would probably enjoy other parts of Spain. I guess I will find out if and when I get to go back.

Thanks for all your responses! smile.gif

--------------------
~Kit
California Local Expert

Visit my travel blogs:
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
penguinchris
post Mar 7 2011, 07:52 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 1524831

Try to return in late September for La Merce festival and you'll perhaps change your mind. In fact you might find that it becomes one of the greatest experiences of your life.

I've never found the people to be particularly unwelcoming, although as a tourist I tend not to have expectations that are too high. I think it takes effort and luck to find a local person who really wants to interact and make friends.

At the 2010 Merce we shared a table with a group of about six elderly Catalans who had brought a picnic to the wine festival (a regular feature of La Merce) and when we returned with our 2nd bottle of cava they must have decided we were alright because they shared their food and some of their opinions (on food, wine, life and other profound topics) with us. It helped that my g/f is fluent in Spanish and can at least get to grips with Catala but we had a lovely few hours. I can think of quite a few other situations in quite a number of visits to the city, but perhaps because we don't go looking for it, sometimes it finds us. As an aside we were back at the wine festival two nights later and had an equally charming evening with an ex-pat Brit couple who had lived in Catalunya since the 1980s - and all because we had a spare glass.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 11:43 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.