Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Algonquin Park in the summer? - Algonquin National Park travel question
sarahanne1
post Jun 9 2010, 12:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1063241
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi there I was wondering what it was like to visit the park in late July? Is it possible to see much wildlife, especially Moose? Also what is the black fly situation like. Is it better to camp or sty in a hostel/ lodge?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
algonquin
post Jun 17 2010, 11:48 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1085181

QUOTE(sarahanne1 @ Jun 9 2010, 12:12 PM) *

Hi there I was wondering what it was like to visit the park in late July? Is it possible to see much wildlife, especially Moose? Also what is the black fly situation like. Is it better to camp or sty in a hostel/ lodge?

Hello, July is a great time to visit the park. The black flies are gone by then but you may find mosquitos a problem especially at dusk. Moose are fairly easy to find by driving down Highway 60 in the early evening. Also, if you are there in August on Thursday evenings, they hold a public wolf howl where approximately 1,000 people drive out onto the highway and the park naturalists howl and we all wait in total silence to listen for their answer. It is amazing!
I would recommend camping as that it is the best way to experience the park. Most of the campgrounds are equipped with shower facilities and some also have laundry equipment.
There are excellent lodges in the park with great food and accomodations.
The town of Whitney just 5 minutes east of the park has several places to stay including The Couples Resort, The Adventure Lodge, 2 motels and The Mad Musher Restaurant that has hostel accomodations.
I have been going to the park for over 30 years and am now moving to Whitney to be near it. You won't regret your visit.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sarahanne1
post Jun 18 2010, 10:07 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1063241

Hi thank you so much for the info very helpful.
We have decided now to camp and think we will stay at Canisbay, I have heard it is beautiful there.
I really hope I get to see a moose that would make my trip!!

Have a good summer
Sarah

QUOTE(algonquin @ Jun 17 2010, 11:48 PM) *

QUOTE(sarahanne1 @ Jun 9 2010, 12:12 PM) *

Hello, July is a great time to visit the park. The black flies are gone by then but you may find mosquitos a problem especially at dusk. Moose are fairly easy to find by driving down Highway 60 in the early evening. Also, if you are there in August on Thursday evenings, they hold a public wolf howl where approximately 1,000 people drive out onto the highway and the park naturalists howl and we all wait in total silence to listen for their answer. It is amazing!
I would recommend camping as that it is the best way to experience the park. Most of the campgrounds are equipped with shower facilities and some also have laundry equipment.
There are excellent lodges in the park with great food and accomodations.
The town of Whitney just 5 minutes east of the park has several places to stay including The Couples Resort, The Adventure Lodge, 2 motels and The Mad Musher Restaurant that has hostel accomodations.
I have been going to the park for over 30 years and am now moving to Whitney to be near it. You won't regret your visit.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 09:22 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Canada

Banff Hotels
Calgary Hotels
Canmore Hotels
Charlottetown Hotels
Edmonton Hotels
Fredericton Hotels
Gatineau Hotels
Grande Prairie Hotels
Halifax Hotels
Hamilton Hotels
Jasper Hotels
Kamloops Hotels
Kelowna Hotels
Kingston Hotels
Laval Hotels
London Hotels
Markham Hotels
Mississauga Hotels
Moncton Hotels
Mont Tremblant Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Niagara Falls Hotels
Niagara-on-the-Lake Hotels
North York Hotels
Ottawa Hotels
Penticton Hotels
Quebec City Hotels
Red Deer Hotels
Regina Hotels
Richmond Hotels
Saskatoon Hotels
St. John's Hotels
Sudbury Hotels
Surrey Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Vancouver Hotels
Victoria Hotels
Whistler Hotels
Windsor Hotels
Winnipeg Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.